• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Interesting list. Things have changed quite a bit in some areas. I guess I would challenge about half of the list, but I am a bit older than some of you.
    1. is certainly done differently now.
    2. have done regularly
    3. have done many times
    4. have done, but not commonly
    5. have done, but the article is right, not appropriate in many circumstances these days.
    6. the wife used to mend clothes for the kids occasionally. we never tried darning.
    7. no doubt letters and more importantly, coherent letter writing, is a dying ability.
    8. never did that
    9. have done it
    10. we did it with our first kid for awhile. thought it would be cheaper.
    11. used to have a couple years ago. some people still do use them.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm only 51, but this list seems a bit premature:

1. Courting. Kind of. Not nearly as formal, but I did visit the family and did ask permission.
    2. Hunting, Fishing, Foraging. Are you kidding? That's my life! Big yes here.
    3. Butchering. Big yes here too - we butcher all our wild meat and have for years.
    4. Bartering. Of course! Still do.
    5. Haggling. Of course I haggle. They make a point in you don't haggle at walmart, but individuals of course we haggle.
    6. Mending. I mend all my hunting clothes. Socks - nope, a sock with a hole is called a polishing rag.
    7. Letters. Not as much as I used to, but yes I do still send the occassional letter through snail mail.
    8. Making Lace. Got me there. Never done it, but I remember watching my grandmother and great grandmother do it.
    9. Lighting a Fire Without Matches. Do it often. Striker and a mag strip work great.
    10. Diapering With Cloth. Diapered my sister with cloth, but my son went the disposable diaper way.
    11. Writing with a Fountain Pen. Haven't done it in years, but yes I know how.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Interesting. I'd say several of those things are not really "skills" (cloth diapering? Seriously) and I agree with the above posters that the author ignores a significant portion of society when he makes those assumptions (my kids learned to barter and haggle at a very early age). Also ignored are the city dwellers and aristocrats of days gone by who likely did not posses those skills either.

IMO this was written by someone who buys into the "greatest generation" vs the young whipper snapper arguments. Their life was different, not harder, not easier, different.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Those are what they went with? That article *has* to be designed so people can say "nuh-uh, I can do that." I'd say there are multiple skills that are truly extinct, or nearly so, that could have been much easier to defend. Plowing with a mule team, making one's own cheeses, building a house without nails or screws, those sorts of things are dead outside a hand full of craftsmen or historical preservationists.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    FAIL

ok, some of the items on that list are legit for me.

1) I've never asked permission from a girls parents to date her
    2) I live for this!
    3) you can't live for #2 without being able to do this
    4) yesterday
    5) this past weekend
    6) yeah, I'm bad about this
    7) I'm in sales. A personal hand written letter sent via the mail is a nice touch for the right customers and gets appreciated.
    8) uh, yeah, never made lace
    9) I can make fire many different ways
    10) done it when babysitting my wife's cousins baby. Not hard but not fun.
    11) I have two fountain pens on my desk and use them for #7

I'm 36 and live in the suburbs

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Being from the stone ages I cover all those skills with the exception of lace making. I've never seen that done.:)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    those sorts of things are dead outside a hand full of craftsmen or historical preservationists.
    Not as dead as you would think. It's just the circles of people who have that knowledge are generally very small and very local.

The list is better described as how our life is different from our great-grandparents.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My paternal grandfather was born/raised in Titusville, Florida, while his wife was born/raised in Chicago. Likely HIS parents did all of these. Since my dad was raised in Chicago, it's unlikely that he ever did most of these items, but when I was a young boy (in the 50s) we visited friends of his in the vicinity of Champaign, IL, and I watched one of our friends' daughter wring the neck and bleed the carcasses of the chickens we were going to have for dinner. Unless we were traveling, our son (born in '73) was mainly a cloth-diaper baby (disposable diapers were too expensive for a no-time-in-grade WO's family). I have to say this seems much like an urban-vs-rural environment list.

pearlman1966

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    If anyone is interested there is a class on making lace at Spring Mill state park in on Fathers day weekend.
    Some of the women in my civil war reenactment group will be there learning. The men will be doing a living history.

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    Interesting. I'd say several of those things are not really "skills" (cloth diapering? Seriously) ...

I have to say that cloth diapering can be defined as a "skill." We use cloth diapers for our 14 mo old son, and have almost entirely from birth. Granted, my wife does most of the diapering and we use a lot of newer cloth diaper designs, but stomaching scraping poo off of a diaper before washing it can't really be construed as easy. Interestingly, my wife recently did a "hand-washing challenge" and used only the old flat type diapers and strictly hand-washed and line dried the diaper for one week. Surely that could be called a skill...

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Those are what they went with? That article *has* to be designed so people can say "nuh-uh, I can do that." I'd say there are multiple skills that are truly extinct, or nearly so, that could have been much easier to defend. Plowing with a mule team, making one's own cheeses, building a house without nails or screws, those sorts of things are dead outside a hand full of craftsmen or historical preservationists.
    Agreed.

Top Bottom