• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Attended the free handgun safety course put on by Officer Brandon White and some of his fellow officers at south central gun club. Fun day and I gained a lot of knowledge during the range session. Got to meet fellow ingoer sdh and his wife. If you are looking to take a basic handgun course this one is very well done.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Seymour has more than its share of squared away cops. The Chief is a good guy too.

Props to you for taking the initiative and getting training.

Shawno31b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I agree, good for Seymour pd, I know our departments around here wouldn't do that. I think more pd's should do that.

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    I think SBPD administration would do something like this, only to be able to keep a registry of those interested in firearms. I would not put anything that was not underhanded past our elected and appointed officials in this city. Now, the guys on the blue line seem to be much more in tune with us civilians, but the elected ... Well that's a whole 'nother story.

Props to Seymour PD, at least parts of the state don't think in east coast mentality.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Jackson County Rocks! Chief Abbott and crew are good to go from my perspective. Saintnick81 please share some details of the days activities.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I grew up on the other side of White River from Jackson County. Good to hear props for that end of the state.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Great! Positive LEO story. I would love to hear more of them. Hope you can let them know that they are appreciated all over the place.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it! As others have said, we have a great PD in Seymour. I know several of the officers personally, and know that several, including the Chief, are in support of citizens lawfully carrying their own weapons for defense.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    Day started at 9am at South Central Gun Club, everyone was encouraged to bring their firearms into class(safety checked at the door by officer White) so they could ask questions and get help breaking them down if they were unfamiliar with them. The classroom session lasted until 1230 and covered safe handling and storage, 10 commandments of firearm handling, nomenclature, different eye and ear protection, and a very detailed review of where you can and cannot carry with your ltch. From everything he said officer White is a 2A supporter and a fan of concealed carry(also a fan of carrying one in the chamber, no safety). After lunch we had a safety briefing and then headed to the range. Did most of our shooting at 3 yards. There was at least one officer to every 2 shooters( I apologize for not remembering all the names, all very helpful and patient) First round focused on the draw stroke, split into 6 stages.
    1. Clear cover garment, master grip
    2. Disengage any holster retention, gun clears holster
    3. Turn gun towards target and rotate out
    4. Press forward while adding 2nd hand to grip
    5. Find front sight and get on target
    6. Slowly press trigger
    One to 2 rounds at a time and then working steps backward to holster.
    After the first round of shooting focus began turning to accuracy and shooting tight groups and the only command given was "fight" instead of calling out steps. As we progressed instruction got more personalized. Some continued with the earlier drills some of us progressed to shooting off handed. Moved back to 10 yards for a few rounds and then finished up back at 3 yards with the goal being to put 5 rounds through one bullet hole. I think my favorite part was my last 5 rounds were fired offhand with an officer screaming on each side if me to add stress and I was able to shoot a pretty tight group and even double punch one. At 31 I was the youngest one in the class and there were some in the class (no offense if I'm wrong) approaching 70. Most seemed to be novice shooters. Mix of calibers, revolvers and semis. By the time we were done I was shooting pretty tight groups and the draw stroke was feeling very natural. Can't say enough about how lucky the people of Seymour are to have people like Officer White. I can't compare it to any other class as this was my first formal training but it was well worth the 8 hours. The class was free and you did not have to live in Seymour to attend. I think that's a pretty good synopsis, apologies if I missed anything or misquoted anything. Sounded like he is planning on putting on another class in the next few months.

spd90bw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Seymour
    saintnick81,
    Thank you for the great review! I could not explain it any better myself. I am greatful that you enjoyed the class. As you said, I am planning two additional Basic Firearms classes. One in June and one in July. I am not sure on exact dates at this moment.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The Seymour PD is one of the most squared away, forward leaning , hard charging, tough training police departments I have ever seen. Lead by Chief Abbott. Good cops, good people, patriots and public servants who get it.

DOWNRANGE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    I second what has been said about Officer White and Chief Abbott. Seymour residences are a luck group!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glad you bumped this back up. Seeing the name reminded me of a thread I started on INGO about officer . He pulled me over and was very professional.

I have submitted the application for my wife to attend the Seymour PD class. Actually I would like to go myself but probably won't. I hope they offerbit again soon.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The people of Seymour ARE blessed with a great PD and Chief that "get it". Not only that, but they're plain and simple a great group of LE! Hats off to Chief Abbott, as without a good leader, it's difficult to do stuff like that. :patriot:

Top Bottom