• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Ok, for you, maybe but this does not explain me.

Yes, of course, how can I forget someone who has the Indiana Senate mad at him as well as entire police departments . . . all for obeying the law.

Even when citizens are obeying the law we still make our rulers mad. *sigh*

Setting aside the very deep and voluminuous wisdom in that, why does INSEN want TF? Did he not invite them over to tea promptly each afternoon at 4? Have not heard anything about this.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I must have missed the LEO bashing. I didn't see any in this thread.

cops suck.

128750971433318965.jpg

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I gave it to him out of courtesy.

Why is it considered "courtesy" to show someone your LTCH or to tell them "I have a gun"?

ll never understand the desire to voluntarily bring up firearms with law enforcement. I understand most folks respect the police as we all should but the stop was traffic related and by showing LTCH you're just opening yourself up to things completly unrelated to the original intent of the traffic stop. Fortunately this officer was a professional and treated you well but unfortunately not all officers are created from the same mold and some are cowboys that don't respect "civilians". Just my :twocents: [/QUOTE]

Exactly, there is NO reason to bring up anything that has nothing to do with the stop!

As a retired military veteran, former MP, I can see by these post that in the long run they may have a problem not only with authority but possibly seeing that respecting those in charge. A little courtesy and respect can go a long way. The problem with as I see it out here, is that those that constantly argue showing a LEO your LTCH are more than likely young people who enjoy being or at least thinking they know more than others.

IMHO, the problem that most of those have out here with LEO's is the attitude when you get pulled over. I don't have to show to them, so it's none of their business. While that may true, why cop an attitude just to prove a point. Show them that you are concerned for their safety and their attitude may change towards you.

Generation X, does not play well with authority, AKA the "me" generation.

Just My Opinion and experience...[/QUOTE]

So, you are retired military. thank you for your service! But how does that give you any insight to what others are thinking? I didn't see anything telling me that anyone else that has posted here has any "problem with authority". You lost me with the rest of that sentence..."possibly seeing that respecting those in charge". What does that mean?
    Your right, courtesy and respect CAN go a long way! Am I any less courteous or respectful I'd I DON'T offer to show my LTCH or tell the officer that I have a gun?
    I think you will find as you read more here on INGO that it is not the so much the "young people" or gen-xers that are against starting unnecessary inquiries, but more the older, wiser members who realize that you have NOTHING to gain by announcing to an officer that "I have a gun"! I don't think it is a matter of "being or at least thinking they know more than others"! (whatever that means!?)
    How is it showing an officer that I am "concerned for his safety" by telling him about legal possessions that happen to be in my car? Tha LAST time that I told an officer about my firearm (because he was going to see it and I didn't want it to be a surprise) he made the situation MUCH MORE dangerous for both of us!

I guess the saying that history comes full circle is true. I have read basically the same idea, it came from the 60's don't trust the establishment. The hippies (zombies) are returning, god help this country.

You have nothing to fear but fear it self, not talking to a LEO. Question is, What do YOU have to hide.

Heaven forbid should you be nice to a LEO....

I DO have more than fear to fear! I fear someone unfamiliar with MY weapon, reaching into my vehicle, grabbing MY gun out of MY holster, and pointing MY OWN gun at ME and/or anyone else in or near my vehicle, or passing by!

What do I have to hide? What do I have to expose? Usually when I've been pulled over, I am asked for my (drivers)license and registration. Not my LTCH, not my AAA card, not my NRA card, NO other personal information! Why do some people insist on causing problems for themselves? It is NOT "hiding" just because I don't volunteer extra information that has not been requested,and that is NOT REQUIRED!!!
    it has NOTHING to do with "being nice to a Leo"! Should I offer to wash his car for him? That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Agree, this time, I was doing 63 in the 55. The trooper was very polite, respectable to wards me, I seen no reason to cop an attitude or withhold any information. Then again I have nothing to hide...
    But you DID withhold information! You told him about your firearm, but nothing else. You could have "been nice to a Leo" and "shown him that you are concerned about his safety" by telling him that you have a jack in the trunk, or a pocket knife, or any other "dangerous" items that may be in your possession!

It's amazing that someone can post an absolutely positive experience with law enforcement on this forum and people can't stand it. Some people HAVE to jump in and trash the police, that's the nature of most everyone on this website.

Oh, and most everyone on here that claims to know the internal workings/policies of Indiana PD's/ISP workings and policies actually have no clue!

I didn't see any "trashing" of police! And I resent you saying that is "the nature of most everyone on this website"! That is a completely FALSE statement! Seems that you are the one that has "no clue"!

Fedempl.....Thanks for mentioning your positive experience. Sorry the thread went the way of nearly all INGO LEO-related threads.

TheReaper.......If you're gonna' hang around here, you might as well get used to the cop bashers. There are a swarm of 'em and they won't pass a chance.

Again, I have not seen any "cop bashing" in this thread.

I must have missed the LEO bashing. I didn't see any in this thread.
    So it's not just me!?

Look, it's simple! You get pulled over, give the officer the information that he NEEDS and that is REQUIRED! No need in starting a conversation or an incident over something that has NOTHING to do with the reason you were stopped!
    The safest place for the officers weapon is in his holster! The safest place for MY weapon is in MY holster! Why is that so hard to understand?:dunno:

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    :popcorn:
    Holy crap it looks like I opened up a whole can of nightcrawlers with my post in this thread. My intent was not to bash law enforcement nor to bring the wrath of INGO down upon the OP but merely to voice my opinion about volunteering information that is neither requested nor relevant. I do take exception to the OP's remark about GenX and respecting authority. For the record I too have served my country on active duty for 19 1/2 years now so believe me, I respect authority. I don't believe I'm part of the "Me" generation either. In my opinion the officers safety is his responsibility for which he has received much training.

Last edited:

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    I'm just going to toss this out there and see if it sticks to the wall. I understand both sides of this argument. I'm the type of person that doesn't offer or do anything that is beyond the scope of the situation at hand. But, that is me.

After reading this and several other threads on the subject, I've begun to take a position similar to the other INGO hot button issue, OC vs. CC, and that is do whatever is comfortable for you.

If a person wants to offer up any other information beyond what is necessary, that is their choice. It's what makes them comfortable. Maybe there will come a day when offering up too much info will bite them in their behind. Or, maybe not. Who knows? :dunno:

Just my :twocents:.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm just going to toss this out there and see if it sticks to the wall. I understand both sides of this argument. I'm the type of person that doesn't offer or do anything that is beyond the scope of the situation at hand. But, that is me.

After reading this and several other threads on the subject, I've begun to take a position similar to the other INGO hot button issue, OC vs. CC, and that is do whatever is comfortable for you.

If a person wants to offer up any other information beyond what is necessary, that is their choice. It's what makes them comfortable. Maybe there will come a day when offering up too much info will bite them in their behind. Or, maybe not. Who knows? :dunno:

Just my :twocents:.

Good point Spud, it is everyone's choice!
    I'm glad the stop went well for the o.p.! It could have gone very differently!
    Like I said above, I informed when the officer was sure to see my gun when I had to get my registration! And I will NEVER inform again, even if it is in plain sight!
    My gun was pointed at me, then thrown on top of my van! Things could have have gone much worse for me also, and I'm thankful that they didn't! I WILL NOT ALLOW that to happen again!!!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    OP had a great experience with the ISP trooper. Glad it went well. In my personal experience the ISP are usually very professional.
    Now, try the same tactic in, say South Bend, Hammond or Gary.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    ll never understand the desire to voluntarily bring up firearms with law enforcement. I understand most folks respect the police as we all should but the stop was traffic related and by showing LTCH you're just opening yourself up to things completly unrelated to the original intent of the traffic stop. Fortunately this officer was a professional and treated you well but unfortunately not all officers are created from the same mold and some are cowboys that don't respect "civilians". Just my :twocents: [/QUOTE]

As a retired military veteran, former MP, I can see by these post that in the long run they may have a problem not only with authority but possibly seeing that respecting those in charge. A little courtesy and respect can go a long way. The problem with as I see it out here, is that those that constantly argue showing a LEO your LTCH are more than likely young people who enjoy being or at least thinking they know more than others.

IMHO, the problem that most of those have out here with LEO's is the attitude when you get pulled over. I don't have to show to them, so it's none of their business. While that may true, why cop an attitude just to prove a point. Show them that you are concerned for their safety and their attitude may change towards you.

Just My Opinion and experience...[/QUOTE]

LOL!! you sure like to make wild accusations don't you? The only problem I've ever had with an LEO was when I had done absolutely nothing illegal but he had to act like a jackass and I reciprocated. Anytime I have been pulled over the officer acted extremely professional and respectful. I returned the sentiment. Just because I didn't inform them about a legally possessed inanimate object in my possession does not mean I was being disrespectful. Maybe I should also tell them about my cell phone, lighter, shoes, wallet, flashlight...would doing that make me like super-respectful?

Keeping quite about information that is none of anyone's business is not being disrespectful. Maybe you like to take your chances and find out who is a JBT and who is not...I don't, so I'll just keep quiet and only hand over the papers they NEED to see.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Here is my personal and profession opinion....

Those out here that enjoy to bash the LEO's that have decided to protect us, so we can legally carry our guns. It makes one wonder your reason for carrying and whether your should or not. With the attitudes I have been reading, it's no wonder you have bad experiences with law enforcement. It also makes we wonder why you are so concerned about hiding the fact your carrying, sounds like just because you can, which you think gives you control over the LEO's. NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My last opinion on this high jacked thread that I started in an attempt to inform everyone of a great experience I had with the ISP. Also, to provide the LEO's that post out that not everyone is a jerk and actually appreciates their job.

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Here is my personal and profession opinion....

Those out here that enjoy to bash the LEO's that have decided to protect us, so we can legally carry our guns. It makes one wonder your reason for carrying and whether your should or not. With the attitudes I have been reading, it's no wonder you have bad experiences with law enforcement. It also makes we wonder why you are so concerned about hiding the fact your carrying, sounds like just because you can, which you think gives you control over the LEO's. NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My last opinion on this high jacked thread that I started in an attempt to inform everyone of a great experience I had with the ISP. Also, to provide the LEO's that post out that not everyone is a jerk and actually appreciates their job.

I'm sorry, it's difficult for me to understand your posts But I think I get the idea you're trying to convey. (maybe cathyinblue or someone smarter than me can help structure your thoughts and sentences.)

I'm not sure any police officers got into law enforcement to "protect us, so we can legally carry our guns".

What does someone's opinion on informing have to do with their "reason for carrying and whether you(r) should or not"?

No one said anything about "hiding the fact" that they carry, just that they choose not to inform a police officer about things that don't matter! The officer is there to either give you a warning or a ticket, that's all! He has NO need to know about any of your possessions that you happen to have with you, where you are going or coming from, or any other PERSONAL information!

Who said anything about "having control over the Leo's"?

Lastly, why do you consider someone "a jerk" just because of a difference in opinion?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    As a retired military veteran,

We can match DD 214s. Mine shows 26 years. Heck, even my wife has got 27 years on hers. While it's an honorable thing it neither gets you brownie points around here nor awards any special wisdom about social issues.

I can see by these post that in the long run they may have a problem not only with authority

This cop-out is more prevalent than flies around manure. The attitude that someone who understands the concept of freedom and following the law is somehow having a "problem with authority" is sheer unadulterated nonsense.

but possibly seeing that respecting those in charge.

Perhaps you can explain, in detail and with specifics, just how a civil servant under our employee went to being "in charge" of us?

A little courtesy and respect can go a long way.

Perhaps you can explain, in detail and with specifics, just how following the law in all it's detail by not informing a LEO of facts that he has no need or right to know is not showing "courtesy and respect". Do you also consider that walking across the street at the crosswalk when the little white man is showing is also discourteous and disrespectful?

The problem with as I see it out here, is that those that constantly argue showing a LEO your LTCH are more than likely young people who enjoy being or at least thinking they know more than others.

I was born in '53. Care to explain just how following the law in all its aspects means that I think I know more than others? Be specific. Give detail.

IMHO, the problem that most of those have out here with LEO's is the attitude when you get pulled over.

My attitude is to be professional and cordial. Care to explain just how following the law in all its aspects means that I somehow won't be professional and cordial? Be specific. Give detail.

I don't have to show to them, so it's none of their business. While that may true, why cop an attitude just to prove a point.

Care to explain just how following the law in all its aspects, which you just acknowledged, means that I somehow am going to "cop an attitude"? Are all people following the law throughout the day "copping an attitude" also. If I am doing 45 mph in a 45 mph zone am I copping an attitude. Be specific. Give detail.

Show them that you are concerned for their safety and their attitude may change towards you.

What attitude do you think they have coming to the car and what attitude do you want them to change to? Can I show them that I am concerned for their safety by not offering them the chance to screw with my handgun and coonfinger it on the side of the road as many choose to do? Do you really, in your mind, think the gun is safer in my holster where nothing can happen to it, or out on the side of the road being handled by a person unfamilair with how it operates?

Just My Opinion and experience...

Generation X does not put up with old farts who cannot tell the difference between kowtowing to people who assume they are "in charge" and actually following the law.

Top Bottom