• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I'll never understand the desire to voluntarily bring up firearms with law enforcement. I understand most folks respect the police as we all should but the stop was traffic related and by showing LTCH you're just opening yourself up to things completly unrelated to the original intent of the traffic stop. Fortunately this officer was a professional and treated you well but unfortunately not all officers are created from the same mold and some are cowboys that don't respect "civilians". Just my :twocents:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I'll never understand the desire to voluntarily bring up firearms with law enforcement. I understand most folks respect the police as we all should but the stop was traffic related and by showing LTCH you're just opening yourself up to things completly unrelated to the original intent of the traffic stop. Fortunately this officer was a professional and treated you well but unfortunately not all officers are created from the same mold and some are cowboys that don't respect "civilians". Just my :twocents:

You are 100% correct. There is absolutely no reason to bring up the fact you have a gun. They can see on their computer if you have a LTCH, if they care they'll ask (of course that doesn't mean you have to answer).
    I have been pulled over 4 times, 2 were by troopers and got me tickets. The other 2 times was for BS fishing trips...no tickets given after verifying I didn't have warrants. I've never mentioned one word about carrying or having a LTCH, and the topic never came up...

Maybe some people just have to have their necks stepped on before they learn not to volunteer unneeded information.:dunno:

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    [/QUOTE] ll never understand the desire to voluntarily bring up firearms with law enforcement. I understand most folks respect the police as we all should but the stop was traffic related and by showing LTCH you're just opening yourself up to things completly unrelated to the original intent of the traffic stop. Fortunately this officer was a professional and treated you well but unfortunately not all officers are created from the same mold and some are cowboys that don't respect "civilians". Just my :twocents: [/QUOTE]

You are 100% correct. There is absolutely no reason to bring up the fact you have a gun. They can see on their computer if you have a LTCH, if they care they'll ask (of course that doesn't mean you have to answer).
    I have been pulled over 4 times, 2 were by troopers and got me tickets. The other 2 times was for BS fishing trips...no tickets given after verifying I didn't have warrants. I've never mentioned one word about carrying or having a LTCH, and the topic never came up...

Maybe some people just have to have their necks stepped on before they learn not to volunteer unneeded information.:dunno:

As a retired military veteran, former MP, I can see by these post that in the long run they may have a problem not only with authority but possibly seeing that respecting those in charge. A little courtesy and respect can go a long way. The problem with as I see it out here, is that those that constantly argue showing a LEO your LTCH are more than likely young people who enjoy being or at least thinking they know more than others.

IMHO, the problem that most of those have out here with LEO's is the attitude when you get pulled over. I don't have to show to them, so it's none of their business. While that may true, why cop an attitude just to prove a point. Show them that you are concerned for their safety and their attitude may change towards you.

Generation X, does not play well with authority, AKA the "me" generation.

Just My Opinion and experience...

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your quoting actually broke INGO.

Fedempl said:
    Show them that you are concerned for their safety and their attitude may change towards you.
    Definitely do something against my interests that might benefit me. When has that worked out well where LEOs are concerned. Anything you say can AND WILL be used AGAINST you in a court of law. Nothing I say to a LEO can help me, only hurt me.

I would link to that two part video entitled, Don't Talk to the Police, but it's been linked to death as is.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Your quoting actually broke INGO.

Definitely do something against my interests that might benefit me. When has that worked out well where LEOs are concerned. Anything you say can AND WILL be used AGAINST you in a court of law. Nothing I say to a LEO can help me, only hurt me.

I would link to that two part video entitled, Don't Talk to the Police, but it's been linked to death as is.

I guess the saying that history comes full circle is true. I have read basically the same idea, it came from the 60's don't trust the establishment. The hippies (zombies) are returning, god help this country.

You have nothing to fear but fear it self, not talking to a LEO. Question is, What do YOU have to hide.

Heaven forbid should you be nice to a LEO....

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I hardly ever drive the Muncie Bypass w/o seeing ISP out there. More so than other roads by far.

Agree, this time, I was doing 63 in the 55. The trooper was very polite, respectable to wards me, I seen no reason to cop an attitude or withhold any information. Then again I have nothing to hide...

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Question is, What do YOU have to hide.

Wow. Ironic. You accuse me of reverting back to the 60s, and then you revert back to the 50s. Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist Party, Fedempl?

I'm never rude to a LEO. Problem is, some LEOs interpret anything short of boot licking compliance as rudeness.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Wow. Ironic. You accuse me of reverting back to the 60s, and then you revert back to the 50s. Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Communist Party, Fedempl?

I'm never rude to a LEO. Problem is, some LEOs interpret anything short of boot licking compliance as rudeness.

No, I have never been a member of the Communist Party and for you to even suggest that shows your contempt for those of us that have sacrificed are lives to ensure your freedoms are not taken away.

All I did was show a little respect to a man thats was doing his job, that has sworn to uphold the law and defend the citizens of Indiana. But, yet you come out here and dis-respect those that take their job seriously to protect you.

JMHO...:dunno:

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    cathy is the $#!t

"I'm never rude to a LEO. Problem is, some LEOs interpret anything short of boot licking compliance as rudeness."

I think I now have an interwebz crush on Cathyinblue. Always speaks the truufff.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, I have never been a member of the Communist Party and for you to even suggest that shows your contempt for those of us that have sacrificed are lives to ensure your freedoms are not taken away.
    I was attempting to illustrate how you were being a McCarthyite by being McCarthyist to you. I was in no way implying that you were a Communist. But, since you answered the question, and have nothing to hide (right?) you would certainly not mind any and all of us traipsing through all of your personal documents going back to the cradle to confirm that you are not a Communist.

You call it respect. I call it deference. No one on Earth has earned my automatic deference.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    It's amazing that someone can post an absolutely positive experience with law enforcement on this forum and people can't stand it. Some people HAVE to jump in and trash the police, that's the nature of most everyone on this website.

Oh, and most everyone on here that claims to know the internal workings/policies of Indiana PD's/ISP workings and policies actually have no clue!

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I was attempting to illustrate how you were being a McCarthyite by being McCarthyist to you. I was in no way implying that you were a Communist. But, since you answered the question, and have nothing to hide (right?) you would certainly not mind any and all of us traipsing through all of your personal documents going back to the cradle to confirm that you are not a Communist.

You call it respect. I call it deference. No one on Earth has earned my automatic deference.

In fact, I have nothing to hide so bring it on. The Government has already been through it all, otherwise I would not have a security clearance.

Sorry to all, since we have gotten off topic to discuss personal issues others have and need to deal with.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    It's amazing that someone can post an absolutely positive experience with law enforcement on this forum and people can't stand it. Some people HAVE to jump in and trash the police, that's the nature of most everyone on this website.

Oh, and most everyone on here that claims to know the internal workings/policies of Indiana PD's/ISP workings and policies actually have no clue!

+1:rockwoot: Rep sent

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    I've never had an encounter with ISP which wasn't positive.. all of them were very professional and very respectful.

Same goes for my local LEO's or IMPD.. very professional and very respectful.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Sad

Fedempl.....Thanks for mentioning your positive experience. Sorry the thread went the way of nearly all INGO LEO-related threads.

TheReaper.......If you're gonna' hang around here, you might as well get used to the cop bashers. There are a swarm of 'em and they won't pass a chance.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Fedempl.....Thanks for mentioning your positive experience. Sorry the thread went the way of nearly all INGO LEO-related threads.

TheReaper.......If you're gonna' hang around here, you might as well get used to the cop bashers. There are a swarm of 'em and they won't pass a chance.

You are very welcome. No need to apoligize, I had a feeling it would. Their issue not mine. :patriot:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Question is, What do YOU have to hide.

I don't have to prove I don't have anything to hide. That's the point. I am very happy to read your experience and am glad to see that an officer got it right, but giving someone advice to freely speak to an officer, with a comment indicating "what do you have to hide?" is just not sound legal advice. There is nothing to gain by volunteering information that is neither requested or required. As others have stated, what you say can and will be held against you. I do not need to volunteer this info to the officer. We are not a must inform state.

I seen no reason to cop an attitude or withhold any information. Then again I have nothing to hide...

I can not volunteer info and not "cop" an attitude. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Agreed. I can respect the officer and not give up or yield my rights. Again, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Top Bottom