• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    My truck broke down on my way home last night and I tried for a couple of hours to get it home. Finall,y at 3:00 AM I decided to give up for the night and called my wife out of bed to pick me up. My truck was safely on the shoulder of the road and my wife pulled up behind me.

We talked for a few minutes outside of the vehicles before the police car came by. The officer made a U-turn a little ways up the road and another when she reached the traffic light behind us. She then pulled up behind my wife's car with her disco lights on.

We were standing at the back of my truck. It took a few moments for the officer to exit her vehicle. I told my wife that she was running my wife's plate and might know that we have our LTCH, so I stood with my forearms on the siderail of the bed of my truck. Finally the officer approaches:

Officer: "Everything alright?"
    Wife: "We just decided to stop along the side of the road to make out!"
    Officer smiles.
    Me: "Middle of the night hook-up on the side of the road."
    Officer smiles.
    Me: "Nah, my truck broke down and I've been trying to nurse it down to Meineke so they can look at it in the morning. Before we talk any further I just want to let you know that I have my sidearm on my right hip in a holster." (Forearms were still on the bed of the truck, so I moved so she could see where it was located).
    Officer: "Do you have your registration for it?"
    Me: "Handgun registration?! Not in Indiana."
    Officer smiles.
    Officer: "Do you have your permit? Gotta have that on ya and your ID."
    Me: "I have my License to Carry."
    Officer smiles.
    Me: "It's in my wallet. In my left rear pocket. Is it OK if I reach for it?"
    Officer: "Yes."
    Officer: "Why do you carry? Are you military? Or just for personal protection?"
    Me: "No, I'm not military, just a responsible citizen. You guys can't be everywhere all the time."
    Big smile on the officer's face.
    Officer: "Do you have the registration... for the truck?"
    Me: "Yea, it's in the cab. Want me to go grab it?"
    Officer: "Yes, please."
    Me: "Be right back."
    I retrieve the truck registration and hand it to her.
    Officer: "You guys hang tight, I'll be right back."
    She returns to her vehicle to run my info and returns a few minutes later.
    Officer: "Well you guys check out alright."
    Smile on my face.
    Me: "Told ya I was one of the good guys."
    Officer smiles.

We spent a few minutes making small talk. The officer asked if my wife was carrying and my wife pointed out that we would've already told the officer if she were. Officer asks about make and caliber. She has never heard of an XDm. My wife points out that she carries a 45 while I carry a wimpy little 9mm. Officer gets a chuckle.

The officer told us that she actually prefers citizens OC as it removes fear of the unknown. Something lumpy on your waistband may be a handgun or a cell phone. An openly displayed handgun is clearly a handgun and as long as no aggressive moves are made for it, it doesn't bother her.

A pretty boring interaction and textbook for how an officer should act. I was not disarmed, forced to the ground, handcuffed or tazed. There were no unreasonable searches or confiscation of property. She didn't "need to run the numbers" or feel like removing my weapon from the holster was required for the sake of "officer safety".

I know some of you will say that I had "no duty to inform." Whatever. It was there. She was in her car long enough to run my wife's plate and know we have our LTCH (likely why she asked about my wife carrying). Either I was going to inform her of it, or she was going to be concerned about that lump under my shirt ("PPCC" - Pi$$ Poor Conceal Carry) on my right side (knowing I have my LTCH).

+1 Ellettsville PD!

I'm thinking about going to visit the station to share my appreciation for her professionalism. I'm sure they get plenty of complaints, it might be nice if they actually hear some praise for good interactions with armed citizens.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    As long as your happy with that outcome then :yesway:

Question - why did she need to see your truck registration?

Dunno exactly. Probably to make sure I was the actual owner and not some guy trying to steal the tires/vandalize the truck. I was also going to be leaving it sit on the roadside for a few hours, so I was fine with her having that info.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm thinking about going to visit the station to share my appreciation for her professionalism. I'm sure they get plenty of complaints, it might be nice if they actually hear some praise for good interactions with armed citizens.

FWIW, I encourage you to do this.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Dunno exactly. Probably to make sure I was the actual owner and not some guy trying to steal the tires/vandalize the truck. I was also going to be leaving it sit on the roadside for a few hours, so I was fine with her having that info.

I was just curious. I've never (knock on wood) broken down on the side of the road and had an LEO interaction. I didn't know if this was common practice or if you had asked her about it.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Dunno. I'm afraid it might be terminal. '02 Silverado with less than 120k on it. I think previous owners may have abused it. It may need a heart transplant (new engine). I'll hopefully learn more Monday.

You tune her up lately? What's it do?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Officer: "Do you have your registration for it?"
    Me: "Handgun registration?! Not in Indiana."
    Officer smiles.
    Officer: "Do you have your permit? Gotta have that on ya and your ID."

Officer: "Do you have the registration... for the truck?"

She was probably asking for the truck registration the first time. She could run the name off of it and find out if you had your LTCH without you needing to pull it out of your wallet. Also if the address/last name matched your wife's it would indicate that your story was the truth.

I agree with everyone else a big +1 and a :rockwoot: to the officer for the way she handled it. And yes you should go down to the station and file a formal compliment.

And I hate to be "that guy" but she was incorrect that you are required to carry your larry and ID. Unless your actually driving at the moment, then your required to carry your DL. How IC used to be worded, you were required to have it in your possession to carry, now you just have to be issued one. If you do go to the station and file a compliment, which I hope you do. Perhaps an informal mention of her probably honest mistake. The law was changed I believe last year and it's not a very well known change.

My guess, to see if it actually belonged to the OP

:yesway:

Yep, I've known people who have left their cars on the side of the road after a breakdown and found things missing/broken when they got back. One guy when he got back his car wasn't there at all. And he called all around and it hadn't been impounded.

All four cylinders on driver's side are not firing. Tranny was acting like it might be starting to slip. Sounds pretty rough like there might be some knocking.

Could it be one of the coil packs? Not sure just how many you have. Also did the tranny start acting up at the same time? If so it could be the computer or just seemed like a tranny problem from lack of power.

Top Bottom