• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I'm still really surprised by this whole thing. I hope they do offer it to students. If so, I will encourage my daughter to attend. I have instructed her in firearms safety, handling and shooting. However, she has never attended a "formal" class. I still would like to know what prompted this, though.

If i recall correctly alumni and a handful of students and some staff.. actually..

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    I'm still really surprised by this whole thing. I hope they do offer it to students.

I still would like to know what prompted this, though.

i'm not making a dig at you just making a statement in general.

isnt it a shame that things are so bad that when we actually get something we've been begging for we all are full of miss trust.

this is awesome! i hope it goes well and they expand the program and people are smart enough to take advantage but i'm with ya........ why are they doing this? it just doesnt seem like something a college would do :dunno:

is there a set up?

jake

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm just curious about the motive for the class. My daughter is a student at Ball State and I am well aware of the University policy on firearms. I always got the impression that Ball State is anti-gun in their attitude. This seems odd to me.

They are collecting the names of "gun interested" employees for the next purge...

I still would like to know what prompted this, though.

I also agree this is somewhat odd, given the liability aspect. However, I think I might understand their reasoning for this. We have had many changes over the last couple of years on laws dealing with firearms. Plus, universities are known for having staff coming from others states. The issue is that if one does a generic search on guns and work in Indiana, they get numbers "Take your guns to work law signed by Governor."

Many people don't read their employee handbook, or they might claim to be confused given mass media news reports about "taking your gun to work law" and saying they never received an updated e-mail, letter, or employee handbook explaining the law exempted higher education facilities. This course will definitely explain that despite all the recent law changes, the employees can't bring their guns to work, nor carry them onto the property while off-work even if they have a license.

Clearly they will have a list of those who take the class, and if one of those people break the workplace rules in the future, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they tried to appeal their discipline.

Further more, it may be common knowledge that many employees have opted out of parking on campus and instead are parking near close by public parking areas so they can keep their guns in their vehicles.

So maybe these are a few things that may have prompted this. Anytime someone is willing to obtain safety information about firearms it is a good thing.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    I need to make a correction to my earlier post, there is no current plan to allow students in, though it is not out of the realm of possibility.

Apologies for the confusion.

A lot of what will happen to this class in the future depends on how much interest there is. If this one isn't well attended, they will likely not offer it in the future.

There is no ulterior motive to this class.

handgun is correct, this class came about as a direct result of inquiries and requests from campus employees.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I need to make a correction to my earlier post, there is no current plan to allow students in, though it is not out of the realm of possibility.

Apologies for the confusion.

A lot of what will happen to this class in the future depends on how much interest there is. If this one isn't well attended, they will likely not offer it in the future.

There is no ulterior motive to this class.

handgun is correct, this class came about as a direct result of inquiries and requests from campus employees.

Maybe the students need to make an outcry for such precious training... and their rights as civilians..

I wonder how a push for a pistol competion team would go over at a state school..
    I will have to email a bsu friend to see if hes up for a challenge

Rose hulman has a rifle team :D

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    A friend and I were pretty cool with a few BSU cops and Muncie PD. We would be out in the street working on cars and beer cans everywhere that we had been drinking or still drinking and all we would get was a horn honk and a wave. Still that's a cool offer.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'd be worried about liability. The first person that took this class and is involved in a "bad" shoot, look to see if BSU isn't named on the "defendant" line.

The Bedford PD has been offering a basic class similar to this with a full day of shooting instruction for a number of years now. I can't say if they've ever been named in a suit though.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Maybe the students need to make an outcry for such precious training... and their rights as civilians..

I wonder how a push for a pistol competion team would go over at a state school..
    I will have to email a bsu friend to see if hes up for a challenge

Rose hulman has a rifle team :D

A friend and I tried that at BSU. We couldn't get a faculty member to sponsor a group. We approached a CJ and ROTC professors, if I recall correctly. Of course, that was 5 or 6 years ago, and hopefully things have changed for the better since then.

Laughing Snake

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    SW Indy
    This is based purely off of my experiences at Ball State, but maybe 20% (ballpark guess) of the student population is not yet responsible enough, in any way, to own a gun. Opening up this basic firearm class to students would be great and all, but without guns allowed on campus, I'm with Compatriot G on this one and say it's a little suspicious. If it's a precursor to Ball State changing its 'gun on campus' policies in any way, they better make absolutely sure they are going about it the right way. If I'm reading way too far into this and it is an innocent enough informative class, then by all means have the students sign the waiver and start learning.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'd be worried about liability. The first person that took this class and is involved in a "bad" shoot, look to see if BSU isn't named on the "defendant" line.

Why would they have any liability? It wouldn't be any different than any basic handgun class. No difference than someone attending a self defense program (that many schools and police departments hold) then going out and beating someone up! Or a driving school being liable for a reckless driver causing a crash!

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    A friend and I tried that at BSU. We couldn't get a faculty member to sponsor a group. We approached a CJ and ROTC professors, if I recall correctly. Of course, that was 5 or 6 years ago, and hopefully things have changed for the better since then.

Trine University in Angola has a strong Criminal Justice program and a hangun team. I think they are pretty active with it. Its not technically a state school nor private? When I looked at going there I checked into it. The pistol range is almost on campus.

Side note, a girl I went to school with is on the team I think, and she is smokin hot :):

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012

There was a group of us that tried to get a .22 rifle team started, back in the '07-'08 school year. We eventually approached the dean, actually, as I was a presidential scholarship recipient (and I believe one of the others involved was one as well).

It didn't go very far. We had to go talk to the Campus PD, who told us we'd have to go find a range to shoot at, and we'd have to lock up our .22 rifles at the police station 24/7 unless we were at a shooting event or scheduled practice event. Even that sounded ok, but then the administration pretty much laughed in our faces and that was that.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Trine University in Angola has a strong Criminal Justice program and a hangun team. I think they are pretty active with it. Its not technically a state school nor private? When I looked at going there I checked into it. The pistol range is almost on campus.

Purdue's range is on campus in a gymnasium. It was a pretty nice facility when I visited there.

There was a group of us that tried to get a .22 rifle team started, back in the '07-'08 school year. We eventually approached the dean, actually, as I was a presidential scholarship recipient (and I believe one of the others involved was one as well).

It didn't go very far. We had to go talk to the Campus PD, who told us we'd have to go find a range to shoot at, and we'd have to lock up our .22 rifles at the police station 24/7 unless we were at a shooting event or scheduled practice event. Even that sounded ok, but then the administration pretty much laughed in our faces and that was that.

My friend and I tried back in the '05-'06 school year I think. What was really depressing, and I found this out later, was that one of the people we had approached in the CJ program was former Gunsite Instructor Greg Morrison. If I recall correctly, he wouldn't even reply to our inquiries.

Top Bottom