‘This isn’t working’: Head of ISP calls for complete review of Marion County judicial system

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Has anyone seen Dougie Carter comment on the low, low bond here? That cheap, for a 5 year on-going criminal enterprise?

Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Did I miss something or did the story not even mention a bond?

I could be way off base, but IMHO it seems bond should be tied to a few things.
    1- likelihood of failure to appear
    2- the risks to the general public based on charging information. The more violent or endangering to the public, the higher it should be.
    3- criminal history that should an indicator of ones pattern of behavior and decision making ability. However, I can acknowledge this likely creates legal problems with due process.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Did I miss something or did the story not even mention a bond?

I could be way off base, but IMHO it seems bond should be tied to a few things.
    1- likelihood of failure to appear
    2- the risks to the general public based on charging information. The more violent or endangering to the public, the higher it should be.
    3- criminal history that should an indicator of ones pattern of behavior and decision making ability. However, I can acknowledge this likely creates legal problems with due process.
    It was only $750 which he will get back. YET no televised crying over this low, low bond.

Merely pointing out the hypocrisy and ulterior motives involved here by police attempting to make bond sentencing. That is wrong and must be objected to.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I just caught up on several pages of this thread.

PLEASE keep this one between the ditches.

Had this gotten on my Radar several pages back, yeah the lock would've shown up.

Again, between the ditches please.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    It was only $750 which he will get back. YET no televised crying over this low, low bond.

Merely pointing out the hypocrisy and ulterior motives involved here by police attempting to make bond sentencing. That is wrong and must be objected to.
    So there's no difference in bond schedules for someone accused of killing two people versus someone accused of stealing money?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So there's no difference in bond schedules for someone accused of killing two people versus someone accused of stealing money?
    There is, a big difference, but constitutional rights are not parade hats.

Marion County case was higher than schedule; Lawrence County was not.

Doug Carter behaving as he did was disingenuous and motivated by a faction of law enforcement that desires to abolish a Constitutional right.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I just caught up on several pages of this thread.

PLEASE keep this one between the ditches.

Had this gotten on my Radar several pages back, yeah the lock would've shown up.

Again, between the ditches please.
    ^^^Seems worth bumping since I'm out the door in a minute^^^

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    $750 cash bond for:
    Butcher is accused of not disclosing appropriate work documentation and allegedly receiving payments for overtime hours that he was not permitted to accept, according to ISP.
    versus $1,000 cash bond for killing 3 people with reckless disregard.

IMO, not only not "adjacent", but not even in the same zip code.

ETA: As a side question, shouldn't every non-exempt (i.e. hourly) employee be paid for overtime worked?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    $750 cash bond for:

versus $1,000 cash bond for killing 3 people with reckless disregard.

IMO, not only not "adjacent", but not even in the same zip code.

ETA: As a side question, shouldn't every non-exempt (i.e. hourly) employee be paid for overtime worked?
    He paid 50K surety and $1,000 cash in Marion Co. He gets the $1,000 back but not the $5,000 that he paid to the bail bondsman.

Don't let Doug Carter get away with his lies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Fair enough. But to be fair, the defendant in this case doesn't sound like he did anything the put the public's safety at risk. In all fairness, a situation like that would probably make a better argument. But, I see your point

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wonder if it means that this non-exempt employee wasn't being paid time and a half for OT worked. Or if he wasn't to be paid for OT at all (such as a salaried position).

I know here in Indy, many management personel only get paid in either straight time or "comp time" (hour for hour) rather than being paid time and a half for OT beyond the standard 40 hr week. Apparently, there's an exception for city/ county and municipal employees so they don't have to pay time and a half. Or so we've been told by HR.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wonder if it means that this non-exempt employee wasn't being paid time and a half for OT worked. Or if he wasn't to be paid for OT at all (such as a salaried position).

I know here in Indy, many management personel only get paid in either straight time or "comp time" (hour for hour) rather than being paid time and a half for OT beyond the standard 40 hr week. Apparently, there's an exception for city/ county and municipal employees so they don't have to pay time and a half. Or so we've been told by HR.
    Same for me as a federal employee (credit hours, comp time or straight time) but it's for anything over 8 hours per day.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Same for me as a federal employee (credit hours, comp time or straight time) but it's for anything over 8 hours per day.
    As it should be. But there shouldn't be a government exception that allows hourly employees to not get paid time and a half.
    With the City, all non management hourly positions get paid time and a half or are paid as salaried positions. So when OT is approved, non management employees are being paid 10+/hr more than management is being paid.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the accused getting a fair bond. I'm just saying the example you sited above is an apples to oranges comparison. At least in terms of risk/disregard to society.

Ok, look at David Bisard's bond. 10K. Not a peep from LE about the bond being too low.

"Court ORDERS bond to be set in the amount of $ 10000 Type SR."

This is a good idea, I need to get a chart made up for the GA showing which cases there was a hue and cry over and which there were not.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Ok, look at David Bisard's bond. 10K. Not a peep from LE about the bond being too low.

"Court ORDERS bond to be set in the amount of $ 10000 Type SR."

This is a good idea, I need to get a chart made up for the GA showing which cases there was a hue and cry over and which there were not.
    I didn't know what his bond was. And I was too busy defending myself from assholes that were comparing me to him because I wore the same uniform. Kind of like 2 separate posts you have made lumping all LE into the same pile as your bestie Doug. I guess I could stoop to that level and lump you into the same pile as Ryan Mears.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I didn't know what his bond was. And I was too busy defending myself from assholes that were comparing me to him because I wore the same uniform. Kind of like 2 separate posts you have made lumping all LE into the same pile as your bestie Doug. I guess I could stoop to that level and lump you into the same pile as Ryan Mears.
    I think it is important to point out what the bond of LEOs who were accused of killing others, even in MVAs, as there was no outcry over their bonds. I think that will be an important point in the General Assembly next session.

LE is this context is Doug Carter and Rick Snyder. I understand that individual officers will have differing views, however they are not the ones speaking at this point.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I think it is important to point out what the bond of LEOs who were accused of killing others, even in MVAs, as there was no outcry over their bonds. I think that will be an important point in the General Assembly next session.

LE is this context is Doug Carter and Rick Snyder. I understand that individual officers will have differing views, however they are not the ones speaking at this point.
    So attribute any quote to those that are speaking them. I don't feel the need to comment on every post that involves mention of LE, but I sure as **** will when I am being lumped into a pile with others.

Top Bottom