‘This isn’t working’: Head of ISP calls for complete review of Marion County judicial system

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I do, I understand people are mad at a-holes being a-holes and killing the innocent. This isn't the judges fault.

Doug Carter is deflecting blame from ISP who wanted to play GTA with his damn toys (you would have thought that after Hendricks Co. that they would not Inshallah anymore but Doug is a slow learner and does not give a flying f about human life).
    I was making a Funny to Mr Catty. #Itdidn'twork...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I will say this, a few weeks ago I took a trip on a motorcycle and Berkley Springs in Morgan Co, WV was a stop.
    My idiot bestist friend abused there 911 call center and was issued a ticket and a court date, he was drunk and missed the court date.
    Two hours later his ass was cuffed and stuffed in a Sheriffs Dept cruiser. 17 days later he was given a 5 thousand dollar CASH bond.
    Thats why I had to go to Berkley Springs,
    Morgan Co, WV don't F around with problems.

Marion co should strive to be more like Morgan Co, WV.
    Everyone wants to be "tough on crime" until it is time to pay the piper. We don't arrest people for silly infractions here. I know they do in the South.

High bonds=>increased jail capacity, increased F&S trials and more cases dismissed, increased number of courts, etc.

In federal court, people walk with a signature for an equivalent of time on the F3 here. There is no bluster for that type of bond from Dougie.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Everyone wants to be "tough on crime" until it is time to pay the piper. We don't arrest people for silly infractions here. I know they do in the South.

High bonds=>increased jail capacity, increased F&S trials and more cases dismissed, increased number of courts, etc.

In federal court, people walk with a signature for an equivalent of time on the F3 here. There is no bluster for that type of bond from Dougie.
    Thank you.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Yup. We've created a culture of "it's okay to run, nothing bad will happen". That's what it all stems from. Killing someone in a pursuit should be nothing less than automatic felony murder.

Criminals have the mentality of children. When they do bad things and get away with no consequences, they do worse things. It's not complicated.
    Yup, IMO, if you tell the average scumbag that the cops cannot chase him if he drives life a deranged madman... then he'll drive like a deranged madman.
    Your bond is $50,000 surety and $1,000 cash. Dougie lied.

I have posted the surety bond. It is $50,000 surety, not 5K.

The bond is OVER the scheduled bond.
    The critter didn't post $50k surety bond, personally... if he did he wouldn't have owed the bondman $5k... so the $50k is "funny money"... not real... he didn't come up with it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yet another problem with the system and those who run the system... explain that one to Makayla Hankins' family.
    "The system"? No, it's not some secret cabal running the system. It is law enforcement. The CLEO of Marion County, Ryan Mears. The people of Marion County voted for him. It's on them, not some conspiracy theory.

Ms. Hankins family should know that Manslaughter and Murder are likely inapplicable here, if filed would not last, perhaps Reckless Homicide but the CLEO of Marion County did not seek this. The family should also know that it is not the judge's call as to what charges are filed by the MCPA. As well, the family should know that the CLEO did not seek to increase the bond.

What happened here is on law enforcement. They wanted to play GTA on the streets of Indianapolis. Did not work out well for them.
    So, instead of accepting responsibility for the deaths of innocents, law enforcement seeks to blame those that: are not responsible for the deaths, obeyed the rule of law and due process.

Doug Carter's fascist bent is not serving the people of Indiana. The family should know that he needs to go.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It depends on how one is killed. Cannot be reckless. That is Reckless Homicide (which was not filed).

How is C-G getting away with anything? He is being prosecuted. Why do you think there will be no consequences?
    Killing three people and walking out of jail the next day is no consequences.

People like this don't care about court dates, monitoring, or anything else. If they can't see the cage around them, they haven't suffered consequences.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Killing three people and walking out of jail the next day is no consequences.

People like this don't care about court dates, monitoring, or anything else. If they can't see the cage around them, they haven't suffered consequences.

Maybe we should convict him first? Well, as long as we are not pre-judging anything.

We don't have 3 chicks floating in a pool. If there is a problem with C-G not appearing in court, then it is on LE to file a petition to revoke his bond.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So, instead of accepting responsibility for the deaths of innocents, law enforcement seeks to blame those that: are not responsible for the deaths, obeyed the rule of law and due process.
    The chase was terminated 3 minutes before the crash. C-G continued to drive at 120+ mph and was still traveling that fast when he hit the other car. That's not "obeying the rule of law". Someone was playing GTA, but it wasn't the cops at that point.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Maybe we should convict him first? Well, as long as we are not pre-judging anything.

We don't have 3 chicks floating in a pool. If there is a problem with C-G not appearing in court, then it is on LE to file a petition to revoke his bond.
    I think a little pre-judgement is appropriate when you literally pull a dude out of a mangled, bloody car while pieces of the people he crashed into are strewn on the ground around him.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    "The system"? No, it's not some secret cabal running the system. It is law enforcement. The CLEO of Marion County, Ryan Mears. The people of Marion County voted for him. It's on them, not some conspiracy theory.

Ms. Hankins family should know that Manslaughter and Murder are likely inapplicable here, if filed would not last, perhaps Reckless Homicide but the CLEO of Marion County did not seek this. The family should also know that it is not the judge's call as to what charges are filed by the MCPA. As well, the family should know that the CLEO did not seek to increase the bond.

CLEO? You keep saying that... why?

Isn't he (Mears) the Marion County Prosecutor? Does the prosecutor's office have other powers in Marion above and beyond prosecution (or not)?

I thought the mayor appointed the Chief Law Enforcement Officer for Marion County (IMPD Chief of Police):

What happened here is on law enforcement. They wanted to play GTA on the streets of Indianapolis. Did not work out well for them.

You keep saying that... what facts do you have? The news reports are that the ISP broke pursuit. Do you know something different?

Wait? So in your opinion the driver of the car going 120-140 mph to escape LEO is not the responsible party?

I see the disconnect now.

Doug Carter's fascist bent is not serving the people of Indiana. The family should know that he needs to go.
    So, these three deaths are Doug Carter's fault? I'm not seeing that he was even anywhere in the vicinity when this went down.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Prosecuting Attorney of each county is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of each county. For Marion County that is Ryan Mears.

ISP started the pursuit. But for ISP's actions this would not have transpired.

ISP is blaming the judge which had nothing to do with the deaths and is lying about the bond.

Metaphysically, yes, the 3 deaths are Doug Carter's fault as he sets pursuit policy. Criminally, no. Dougie feels guilty that is why he is lashing out at the judge who is not responsible for the deaths, and it was the judge that obeyed the rule of law and due process.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The Prosecuting Attorney of each county is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of each county. For Marion County that is Ryan Mears.

ISP is blaming the judge which had nothing to do with the deaths and is lying about the bond.

Metaphysically, yes, the 3 deaths are Doug Carter's fault as he sets pursuit policy. Criminally, no. Dougie feels guilty that is why he is lashing out at the judge who is not responsible for the deaths, and it was the judge that obeyed the rule of law and due process.
    I see you don't believe in personal responsibility either.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I see you don't believe in personal responsibility either.

That's what trial is for and then maybe sentencing. Either we believe in the Bill of Rights and due process, or it is only a fashion item to be put on when we desire to strut about.

There's a whole bunch of ink spilled on the first 10 amendments and Article I just on criminal procedure. I think we should follow it . . . and not believe Doug.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    That's what trial is for and then maybe sentencing. Either we believe in the Bill of Rights and due process, or it is only a fashion item to be put on when we desire to strut about.

There's a whole bunch of ink spilled on the first 10 amendments and Article I just on criminal procedure. I think we should follow it . . . and not believe Doug.
    I agree with you on this post and most of the time.

However I am a big proponent of personal responsibility. A guy running driving away from cops at least shares responsibility for ANYTHING that occurs afterwards.

This belief has cost me personally over the course of my lifetime but its one thing I won't compromise

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I agree with you on this post and most of the time.

However I am a big proponent of personal responsibility. A guy running driving away from cops at least shares responsibility for ANYTHING that occurs afterwards.

This belief has cost me personally over the course of my lifetime but its one thing I won't compromise
    I understand and respect your statement. But there is time for personal responsibility and that when a conviction attaches. We are far from that LUP.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Maybe I'm missing something but, what was the infraction that prompted ISP to attempt a traffic stop?
    So using your terminology, But for the driver of the car choosing not to follow lawful order, ISP wouldn't have had reason to pursue.

I agree the ISP Sup. is barking up the wrong tree on the bond issue.

Top Bottom