‘This isn’t working’: Head of ISP calls for complete review of Marion County judicial system

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    "Freeman, all you do is object and be sarcastic, witty and charming and be tremendously handsome as well, you were inside all this, what's a solution?"

Ok, if you want my solution (Most of Sane INGO: Noooooo!), here it is:

There are 18,723 DPAs at MCPA, some working out of state (e.g. XPs), task 2 or 3 of them to report to filing section (or do it at home) to review all new arrests: are they are probation? are they on bond? are they on the sex offender registry (out of bounds)? Etc.? They make NO filing decisions, ONLY file bond revocations and PTRPs, that's it. Screening comes later, or concurrently.

This is BEFORE any charges are filed, just one a step on the flow chart to ask about those questions before screening raises a finger.
    Most of this could be done with paralegals, not even have to use DPAs (just to review what paralegals find). Also these DPAs would go out to IMPD sub-stations and meet and greet. Give our cell phone number to that unit's supervisor/SGT (whatever). Let IMPD, Sheriff, Constable of Pike Township, Crow's Nest, inter alia who they are and what they do.

If there is a repeat offender on the hook, this section gets a call and someone is filing a motion to revoke bond or probation, then and there, not later. Won't hit odyssey until 0800 but at least it will be in the hopper.

If this is a priority for LE (and cops may have legit beef with some knuckleheads), make it a priority at 151 East Ohio. There is your "accountablility". There is your fix for a "broken system". There is the respect for the value of the right to bail.

I am frustrated by LE (some) stating incorrectly that there is no fix. Mears could fix this with a snap of his fingers. The law allows the PA enormous legal power as the CLEO of Marion County. This is a zero cost solution which respects the rights of all Hoosiers and focuses fire on those who need to be focused upon.
    This "solution" infers that prosecutors don't look at and submit before the court a defendant's record prior to the bail/bond hearing... WOW!

Yup, broken system.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Bail/bond hearing? Not how it works. There is a bond schedule depending on the offense level.

Charges are not filed until later, often much later. Police do not file charges as the Media reports often.

Upon arrest law enforcement should review to see if person on bond or probation before deciding to file charges. If so, yank their bond or hold them without bond if on probation. Law enforcement is not doing this, they have the tools, their nonfeasance is the problem.

Broken LE.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes, but the Prosecuting Attorney is the CLEO and the one person apparently screwing up Indy.
    Well, I think that's pretty much what we all believe is broken within the system. We have a Prosecutor that clearly doesn't thoroughly check criminal history or extenuating circumstances around a case before it gets set for bond. From outside looking in, it would appear that they pretty much just roll with whatever the standardized bond schedule is based on recommended charges on the arrest paperwork.
    IMHO, we are stuck with a prosecutor that has no accountability to the people. He does what he does and rarely will even speak up to try to justify decisions made by either himself or people in his office. He plays to the fact the next news cycle or two will have it forgotten.

We all want the streets of Indy to be safer, but far too many have drank the Kool aid handed out by the political left. Since these clowns and their families vote, we're pretty much stuck with him until enough people can see through the BS.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To be fair, the judges are helping screw it up.
    I've said for years judges should have their feet held to the fire by MSM. Many law abiding citizens go to the voting booth and have no idea who these judges are or how they have ruled. So they either vote by party or by just blind pick & choose. However, the friends and family etc of criminals knows what judge gave them or their friends and loved ones a break. They know the names and vote accordingly.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Also these DPAs would go out to IMPD sub-stations and meet and greet. Give our cell phone number to that unit's supervisor/SGT (whatever). Let IMPD, Sheriff, Constable of Pike Township, Crow's Nest, inter alia who they are and what they do.
    We used to have Deputy Prosecutors assigned and housed in every district HQ just for this stuff. It was great. Mears pulled them all out. He told ours that the reason for this was he wanted a clear separation between IMPD and his prosecutors. He didn't like the cooperation between the two. You know, one of his stated top priorities was to "reign in" IMPD's "criminal behavior" A devout and proud SJW.
    If there is a repeat offender on the hook, this section gets a call and someone is filing a motion to revoke bond or probation, then and there, not later. Won't hit odyssey until 0800 but at least it will be in the hopper.

If this is a priority for LE (and cops may have legit beef with some knuckleheads), make it a priority at 151 East Ohio. There is your "accountablility". There is your fix for a "broken system". There is the respect for the value of the right to bail.
    Detectives asked for 72hr hold to get all this sorted to revoke his bond on his open case. I don't know how they actually do that as I'm not in that office. With the hundreds of cases each detective files/screens each year, they are well versed in the process and I'm positive they are following whatever directions the Prosecutor's office gives them.
    I am frustrated by LE (some) stating incorrectly that there is no fix. Mears could fix this with a snap of his fingers. The law allows the PA enormous legal power as the CLEO of Marion County. This is a zero cost solution which respects the rights of all Hoosiers and focuses fire on those who need to be focused upon.
    Much like Frank Anderson ruined it for Sheriffs all around the State when his greed caught the attention of State legislatures, Mears could do the same thing for the Prosecutors all around the state.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Upon arrest law enforcement should review to see if person on bond or probation before deciding to file charges. If so, yank their bond or hold them without bond if on probation. Law enforcement is not doing this, they have the tools, their nonfeasance is the problem.

Broken LE.
    Who EXACTLY is the LE you are referring to that is broken? Are you referring to the arresting officers? The detectives? Detectives typically won't see this until the next business day when they sit with Felony Screening and go over the PC for formal charges. If you are referring to the prosecutor as LE, please stop. That would be outside the common vernacular for the non-lawyers of the world.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To be fair, the judges are helping screw it up.
    is it sad that I saw the death notice of the Marion County judge last week and the first thing I though of was "I hope she was one of the ones making :poop: ty judgements so that we have one less bonehead to straighten out later." ?
    I do feel sorry for her family, but given the shenanigans we are seeing coming out of the courts we deserve to lose a few more judges. (preferrably not via death, to be absolutely clear.)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Who EXACTLY is the LE you are referring to that is broken? Are you referring to the arresting officers? The detectives? Detectives typically won't see this until the next business day when they sit with Felony Screening and go over the PC for formal charges. If you are referring to the prosecutor as LE, please stop. That would be outside the common vernacular for the non-lawyers of the world.
    Too many to list, but the Captain of the ship is Slick Rick Mears. He is responsible. He could fix it in 5 minutes, but refuses.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    is it sad that I saw the death notice of the Marion County judge last week and the first thing I though of was "I hope she was one of the ones making :poop: ty judgements so that we have one less bonehead to straighten out later." ?
    I do feel sorry for her family, but given the shenanigans we are seeing coming out of the courts we deserve to lose a few more judges. (preferrably not via death, to be absolutely clear.)
    She was, in fact, one of the judges at ground zero for releasing violent criminals on laughably low bail. Hoosiers are incrementally safer without her.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    She was, in fact, one of the judges at ground zero for releasing violent criminals on laughably low bail. Hoosiers are incrementally safer without her.
    Well in that case...

a5c.gif

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Too many to list, but the Captain of the ship is Slick Rick Mears. He is responsible. He could fix it in 5 minutes, but refuses.
    I get that. Just please stop referring to him as Law Enforcement. While that might be TECHNICALLY correct, it is almost exclusively used by the public to describe police and there really isn't a need to refer to him as that outside of a small legal social circle. It's muddying the waters.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I get that. Just please stop referring to him as Law Enforcement. While that might be TECHNICALLY correct, it is almost exclusively used by the public to describe police and there really isn't a need to refer to him as that outside of a small legal social circle. It's muddying the waters.
    I'll have you know technically correct is the best kind of correct.

1699532727987.png

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I'll have you know technically correct is the best kind of correct.

View attachment 310816
    Just say what you mean, plain English. If you mean Prosecutors, say that. If you mean Police, say that. i admonish my officers when they use "cop jargon" in their PC. Makes them sound stupid. They are technically right with what they say but only a small group of people actually understand what they are saying.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just say what you mean, plain English. If you mean Prosecutors, say that. If you mean Police, say that. i admonish my officers when they use "cop jargon" in their PC. Makes them sound stupid. They are technically right with what they say but only a small group of people actually understand what they are saying.
    Nope, people need to realize that this is simply law enforcement brass gaslighting us in order to change the Constitution to abolish right to bail.

Law enforcement is kvetching about something they can (and should) fix, but won't fix it because they need the issue as a stalking horse for the General Assembly to act.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Nope, people need to realize that this is simply law enforcement brass gaslighting us in order to change the Constitution to abolish right to bail.

Law enforcement is kvetching about something they can (and should) fix, but won't fix it because they need the issue as a stalking horse for the General Assembly to act.
    Lol, ok.

Top Bottom