• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Today I attended Tactical Firearms Training LLC's (Home Page) Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course.

I met Guy Relford at the INGO table at the last Indy 1500. I recommended he come here to post his upcoming classes, and the rest seems to be history.

The class today was a look at US and Indiana state law that address four specific areas:
    1. Possessing a firearm
    2. Carrying a handgun
    3. Use of a firearm for self defense
    4. Civil liability

We started at the Eagle Creek classroom at 8:30 sharp and went to 3ish with a few breaks for bathroom visits and lunch. The class was well organized with most of the content contained in a Power Point presentation. This was not just a cursory overview, but rather as the title suggests, a comprehensive review. Guy was meticulous in his citations of the case law and Indiana Code allowing the student research and pull the cited sections if desired. I don't want to make this sound like a dry legal lecture. While the law was covered Guy also went "off script" and expanded a great deal on areas that needed to have context or history filled in.

We had some great class discussions and Guy was good about entertaining student questions or requests for clarification. To Guy's credit, he did a very good job of leaving most of the legalese behind and explaining concepts in plain English.

Worth the price of admission alone, I learned what a 'curtilage' is. :):

Now I get on my soap box. I read frequent posts here other places about how training is too expensive or too long or too far away or too this or too that........ Here you have a local class on a very, very important topic taught by an expert in the field at a discount for INGO forum members and attendance was not at all what it should have been.

At what point will you prioritize the knowledge in your head over acquiring more guns? Is it better to spend $100 on another trinket or invest that money in yourself to hopefully keep yourself out of jail and limit your civil liability if you do ever have to shoot someone?

In conclusion, I thought the class was a good value, a lot of fun and I sincerely hope that the next time this class is offered, more INGO members take advantage of the opportunity.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sounds like something I would definately be interested in. How soon will another class be forming?

I'm not sure that Guy has one scheduled yet, but you can ping him under his login: GunLawyer.

I was at today's session and will second everything that Shay said. Very worthwhile course. I've come to learn the value of training- both the basic "what is a gun/safety/how to shoot" varieties and the other related classes that have been appearing- first aid, legal issues, force-on-force, etc. Consider investing in yourself. It can pay off far more than purchasing yet another gun.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The Next Indiana Gun Law Class will be October 18 at ECPR

Shay - thank you so much for your kind remarks! It was great to have you in the class. Your expertise and contributions made the class all that much better

My next Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course will be October 18, 2009. It will also be at Eagle Creek Pistol Range and begin at 8:30 am. I am again offering a $50 discount to INGO members.

Just go to www.tactical-firearms.com and click on "Online Registration" and look for INGO Special - Indiana Gun Law.

Come learn Indiana Gun Law! If you own or carry a gun in Indiana, you owe it to yourself.

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I'm not sure that Guy has one scheduled yet, but you can ping him under his login: GunLawyer.

I was at today's session and will second everything that Shay said. Very worthwhile course. I've come to learn the value of training- both the basic "what is a gun/safety/how to shoot" varieties and the other related classes that have been appearing- first aid, legal issues, force-on-force, etc. Consider investing in yourself. It can pay off far more than purchasing yet another gun.
    Thanks, Pudly!! And it was great to have you in the class yesterday!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I were at the class, too, and we learned quite a bit. We definitely got our money's worth and then some. What you learn could help you avoid getting caught in a bad legal position down the road.

Guy was a good teacher, and there was a lot of discussion and information.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Shay: Thanks for the great summary. I concur. GunLawyer's material was well organized and his presentation style engaging. A solid understanding of the law is critical to responsible ownership and use. I felt that "Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law" gave me those tools, and I'd feel good recommending this class to others.

GunLawyer: Excellent job.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Class Review

I was fortunate enough to take this class today and let me tell you, it was worth every penny I spent. First off, Guy was extremely easy to work with and flexible with my registration due to personal circumstances/scheduling.
    I was able to meet a few INGO members personally and spend some time talking about guns and laws, which was a fantastic way to spend a Saturday.

The learning and thought processes discussed were extremely valuable and covered very thoroughly. It should be a priority for everyone who carries a firearm to attend this class.

Today I attended Tactical Firearms Training LLC's (Home Page) Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course.

We had some great class discussions and Guy was good about entertaining student questions or requests for clarification. To Guy's credit, he did a very good job of leaving most of the legalese behind and explaining concepts in plain English.

Couldn't agree more...fantastic conversation, debate, and all in layman's terms.

At what point will you prioritize the knowledge in your head over acquiring more guns? Is it better to spend $100 on another trinket or invest that money in yourself to hopefully keep yourself out of jail and limit your civil liability if you do ever have to shoot someone?

This ^^^^^^^ :+1::+1:

And thanks to Guy for his time and efforts, appreciated! :yesway:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I was fortunate enough to take this class today and let me tell you, it was worth every penny I spent. First off, Guy was extremely easy to work with and flexible with my registration due to personal circumstances/scheduling.
    I was able to meet a few INGO members personally and spend some time talking about guns and laws, which was a fantastic way to spend a Saturday.

The learning and thought processes discussed were extremely valuable and covered very thoroughly. It should be a priority for everyone who carries a firearm to attend this class.

Couldn't agree more...fantastic conversation, debate, and all in layman's terms.

This ^^^^^^^ :+1::+1:

And thanks to Guy for his time and efforts, appreciated! :yesway:
    Thanks so much!!!

And for the folks in Northwest Indiana, we're having a Comprehensive Indiana Gun Law course for you at the Hammond Cabela's on Nov. 21! Check out Home Page for details!

Top Bottom