• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Anyone have suggestions to get in shape with no equipment? I'm not as strong or as skinny as I'd like to be, but I'm sure not a weakling (I worked all summer clearing trees and having to pick up 150+ pound logs for some WASR money :rockwoot: )! I just did about forty pushups and thirty sit ups, but I feel I could do much more without equipment.

So any of you training guys out there have any suggestions? Also what should I eat to promote healthy weight loss and give me energy for excersise? In my health class we've figured I needed 3,000 calories a day to sustain my current weight (about 180) and I burn 2,000 a day just to stay alive. Not sure if that'll help you guys while suggesting stuff so I'll throw it out there.

BTW, I can't join a gym. No money or transportation :(

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No gym? No problem!

Ross Boxing!

Just completed a circuit at a buddy's house tonight (it was all striking--heavy bag, double end, speed, mook jong, etc.). However, we do circuits involving burpees, jumping, get up drills, jumping rope, lots of body weight stuff, both tabatas and Ross circuits.

Your Top Source For Free Boxing Training Advice

Eat? Eat clean. Cut the carbs down and up the veggies and protein.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    There's a LOT you can do without any equipment. The BEST thing for you, is to JOG. Don't worry about speed, but about distance. It will build your endurance, cardio, lose fat, strengthen core, etc,etc,etc. I could show and teach you a lot of things more specifically to your personal goals, but there's just too much to list. You CERTAINLY don't need equipment to get FIT. I remember when I FIRST started running long before I joined the Marines, I dropped two pants sizes in the first 5 days of running.

Oh, and HIKING with a hefty pack on.

Last edited:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    P90X is amazing. I've lost 25 lbs and lost 6 inches off my waist. My chest, arms and back are getting really cut.

I couldn't keep up at all in the beginning. I couldn't do a single pull up. I made modifications and now, with about 2 weeks left, I'm keeping up with the trainers in all workouts.

Looking forward to going through round 2.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    No gym? No problem!

Ross Boxing!

Just completed a circuit at a buddy's house tonight (it was all striking--heavy bag, double end, speed, mook jong, etc.). However, we do circuits involving burpees, jumping, get up drills, jumping rope, lots of body weight stuff, both tabatas and Ross circuits.

Your Top Source For Free Boxing Training Advice

Eat? Eat clean. Cut the carbs down and up the veggies and protein.

Bookmarked the link, thanks!

There's a LOT you can do without any equipment. The BEST thing for you, is to JOG. Don't worry about speed, but about distance. It will build your endurance, cardio, lose fat, strengthen core, etc,etc,etc. I could show and teach you a lot of things more specifically to your personal goals, but there's just too much to list. You CERTAINLY don't need equipment to get FIT.

Might try that out actually right now. I have an old school gym uniform I could use.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Bookmarked the link, thanks!

Might try that out actually right now. I have an old school gym uniform I could use.
    There's a LOT you can do man. Give me an idea of your personal goals and I can give you more specific techniques. I would also recommend getting with some like minded guys who have martial arts training and doing some FOF, live movement hands on training. It's a GREAT way to get a great workout, and both learn and practice new skills for self defense

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I organized a free "boot camp" workout group last summer (I think). The people that came were dying because it first started off with a good bit of running to build a little endurance.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    P90X is amazing. I've lost 25 lbs and lost 6 inches off my waist. My chest, arms and back are getting really cut.

I couldn't keep up at all in the beginning. I couldn't do a single pull up. I made modifications and now, with about 2 weeks left, I'm keeping up with the trainers in all workouts.

Looking forward to going through round 2.

Tell me more about P90X!

Update: didn't jog, but I did 87 pushups and thirty situps. I would've done 100 pushups but my arms gave out and that is unacceptable. Going to push for 125 pushups, 50 situps, and maybe a round or two jogging the neighborhood by the end of the weekend.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Tell me more about P90X!

Update: didn't jog, but I did 87 pushups and thirty situps. I would've done 100 pushups but my arms gave out and that is unacceptable. Going to push for 125 pushups, 50 situps, and maybe a round or two jogging the neighborhood by the end of the weekend.

I don't remember the current PFT for Army, but Marines is: goal 100 situps in 2 minutes, 20 pullups, and 3 mile run in 16 minutes......just the Army's consists of pushups instead of pullups, but I'm not familiar with their grading....just some general comparison goals to shoot for:twocents:

if your goal is to burn fat, simply doing thousands of pushups and situps is not going to go far towards your goal. you HAVE to incorporate cardio for good amounts of time

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Kettlebells.

You can get by with just one. And you can store it in your closet.

Jump rope. $12 at dicks sporting goods. Jump rope in the driveway, parking lot, garage.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I don't remember the current PFT for Army, but Marines is: goal 100 situps in 2 minutes, 20 pullups, and 3 mile run in 16 minutes......just the Army's consists of pushups instead of pullups, but I'm not familiar with their grading....just some general comparison goals to shoot for:twocents:

if your goal is to burn fat, simply doing thousands of pushups and situps is not going to go far towards your goal. you HAVE to incorporate cardio for good amounts of time

I'm mostly shooting for muscle but I will start jogging soon. I realized I only have a pair of steel toed boots and some dress shoes so I'll visit goodwill for some cheap running shoes.

I'll note those numbers down for reference and adjust my workout accordingly. Thanks!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm mostly shooting for muscle but I will start jogging soon. I realized I only have a pair of steel toed boots and some dress shoes so I'll visit goodwill for some cheap running shoes.

I'll note those numbers down for reference and adjust my workout accordingly. Thanks!
    jogging with extra weight on your ankles/feet will shred any love handles you may have ;) boots and utes runs suck, but they're good for ya :D

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    jogging with extra weight on your ankles/feet will shred any love handles you may have ;) boots and utes runs suck, but they're good for ya :D

Well then, looks like I'll exercise in gym shorts and steel toes :D

BTW, I saw these pushups on the web called "Spetsnaz pushups" and they involve using an AK in the routine. I didn't look too hard into it but anyone else heard of this?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Anyone have suggestions to get in shape with no equipment? I'm not as strong or as skinny as I'd like to be, but I'm sure not a weakling (I worked all summer clearing trees and having to pick up 150+ pound logs for some WASR money :rockwoot: )! I just did about forty pushups and thirty sit ups, but I feel I could do much more without equipment.

So any of you training guys out there have any suggestions? Also what should I eat to promote healthy weight loss and give me energy for excersise? In my health class we've figured I needed 3,000 calories a day to sustain my current weight (about 180) and I burn 2,000 a day just to stay alive. Not sure if that'll help you guys while suggesting stuff so I'll throw it out there.

BTW, I can't join a gym. No money or transportation :(

1st. What are your goals? Without knowing your goals, its impossible to recommend anything

2nd. 3000 calories a day? Again, depends on what you are trying to do... but 3000 calories a day is ALOT of calories for most people.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Well then, looks like I'll exercise in gym shorts and steel toes :D

BTW, I saw these pushups on the web called "Spetsnaz pushups" and they involve using an AK in the routine. I didn't look too hard into it but anyone else heard of this?
    Not familiar with it based on the name. :dunno:

The "utes" part was referring to full cammies minus blouse. We didn't run in boots in PT gear. Although, you'd find the PT gear pretty amusing. :):

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    1st. What are your goals? Without knowing your goals, its impossible to recommend anything

2nd. 3000 calories a day? Again, depends on what you are trying to do... but 3000 calories a day is ALOT of calories for most people.
    Agreed. We need to know specifics to provide more adequate advice. 3000 is a LOT for MOST people. Everyone is different and has different metabolisms. Mine seems to not exist. I ate nothing more than LITERALLY a SERVING of eggs and a piece of fruit for breakfast, a piece of chicken breast for lunch AND dinner when I got injured and assigned to rehabilitation, without being able to workout all I could do is watch my diet, and I STILL put on 5 lbs +/-. :n00b:

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...

My goal is pretty much to lose excess fat and gain muscle without changing my overall weight too much (lose fat while building muscle type of thing). Obviously if I gain weight because I gained muscle, that'll be great. I also want to be armed even when I'm not armed if you get what I'm saying. I know how to defend myself but just like with firearms training I could hone my hand to hand type defense. EDIT: that totally made me sound like an armchair tactical mall ninja :laugh:

The calorie thing I figured with my health teacher who has a degree in sport medicine and coaches softball so I trust her numbers. I've known for a while I have a high metabolism. When I had some health problems earlier this year (month long migraine primarily) I think the first time I visited the doctor I weighed 187 when it started and when it all ended I weighed 174. My 180 pound estimate is really just that: an estimate. I don't own a scale and I figured it was a happy medium between those two weights from when I had my migraine.

So there are my goals and the reason behind the calorie thing. Got any suggestions? :D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My goal is pretty much to lose excess fat and gain muscle without changing my overall weight too much (lose fat while building muscle type of thing). Obviously if I gain weight because I gained muscle, that'll be great. I also want to be armed even when I'm not armed if you get what I'm saying. I know how to defend myself but just like with firearms training I could hone my hand to hand type defense.

The calorie thing I figured with my health teacher who has a degree in sport medicine and coaches softball so I trust her numbers. I've known for a while I have a high metabolism. When I had some health problems earlier this year (month long migraine primarily) I think the first time I visited the doctor I weighed 187 when it started and when it all ended I weighed 174. My 180 pound estimate is really just that: an estimate. I don't own a scale and I figured it was a happy medium between those two weights from when I had my migraine.

So there are my goals and the reason behind the calorie thing. Got any suggestions? :D
    Get up and start moving, don't stop until you eat and start again. :D

Increased calories would work if you had the gym and weights to pack on muscle. Otherwise, you really need to be conscious of your intake more so than simply following a set number. Regardless, eat all the green veggies you want. The darker green, the healthier it is for you. Lean meats too, especially fish (salmon, tuna, etc.) Minimize carbs. Still need them, but eat your carb intake during your breakfast meal because your blood sugar spikes after that meal anyhow. Still moderate it and gradually step down amount of carbs throughout the day so that your final meal should have none (if not your last couple meals.) Also, pay CLOSE attention to portion size. A "serving" is really like a single ice cream scoop, a single piece of chicken breast, etc. It's drastically smaller than most people think and a meal should consist of no more than a single serving of any item. If you need more food, then add snacks or additional small meals throughout the day, NOT portion size to the same meals

Top Bottom