• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This is my second AAR for the month of June. It is a good training month so far. In talking to a friend about this class he relayed that another friend wanted to know about the class. Friend number 1 told friend number 2 that I would probably be posting an AAR on INGO. Friend number 2 said he wanted the real scoop. I didn't think I was in the habit of sugarcoating things, but just in case I will be sure to start this review with a few negatives.:D

What; Advanced handgun with Mike Pannone.

Where; Post 46 in Pinckney, MI

Gear; Glock 19 w/RMR in Dale Fricke Serephim LH Appendix holster, Glock 17 w/ DR Middlebrooks Pro-Sights in a right hand Henry Holster appendix carry. Aprox. 800 rounds of PMC Bronze 115 grain FMJ. 0 Stoppages or malfunctions.

Classmates; Mostly locals many of whom told me they had been through MDFI's full range of courses. The only person I knew in this class was the infamous Steve Fisher. He was part student and part facilitator. A representative from Raven Concealment was also in the class. He brought giveaways and prizes. He also shot very, very well.

The cons; Well lets start with the obvious. Class cost $525, plus range fee $30, plus ammo @ $200, plus hotel at $120, and then gas $30 for a grand total of $905 for a two day class. It is what it is. Big name training is usually expensive. There really weren't many negatives. The only others I could think of would the amount of down time (long breaks), and the ever present habit of people who are shall we say, not qualified to come to an "advanced" class, come anyway.

Mike Panonne had to my way of thinking an ideal personality for a teacher. He was firm when he needed to be and maintained control of the class but was never overbearing. He didn't feel the need to show off or berate any of the students. He only told war stories where they could substantiate a point he was trying to make and used them sparingly. After the obligatory safety briefing Mike set the stage for the weekend by giving a brief outline of the class and telling us why it was called an advanced class. He stated that we wouldn't necessarily being doing a bunch of advanced techniques but he would be teaching at a high level and detail that you wouldn't expect in a basic class. I found that he could have easily called this an instructor class. He did mention right off the bat that he would be teaching the class at a high level and was not going to dumb it down for people who couldn't keep up. They were welcome to be there, but would just have to do the best they could to keep up. (He did not compromise safety though.) I was thrilled to hear that.

Everything we did was done with an eye on efficiency and studied in detail. Mike would often encourage us to look for the most common failure point in certain techniques and let that help guide you to what a better method might be. We warmed up with some 10 yard marksmanship shooting and then went into some draw and shot drills. Every so often throughout the weekend we would stop what we were doing and go back to the 25 yard line to shoot some bulls. Mike has a whole theory on why he does this. It seemed to work. It was fine with me as that and single hand shooting are two of the things I am currently working on. We worked on movement forward, lateral, and rearward. We did this on paper and steel. We also did a walk back drill getting back to 50 yards shooting off a stool on one foot. It was at this point that Kyle from Raven won that drill.

TD2 started with another 10 yard warmup. We then went into a bunch of SHO and WHO work. We also did a bit of reloading work. Later we moved to barricade shooting. This is something I have not done a lot of so I was happy to do it here. After going into a detailed tutorial on the methods we eache lined up behind a barricade and got to work. In between the barricades Mike was teaching his vehicle prone position. After everyone got some reps in Mike set up a drill where we moved left to right going through 3 nine hole barricades with a station for the vehicle prone position in between. The goal was to hit steel from every position and get three hits from each of the prone stations and get it done as fast as you could. I was happy to make it through with no misses.

After this we spent quite a bit of time on weak hand access of the gun. He had a little twist on the method I have learned and teach. I must say that I will probably be teaching the method he showed us from now on out. We also did some work on one handed reloading. At some point we got to run his 15 in 10 drill. This drill is shot from the 20, 10, and 5 yard lines. You shoot 5 shots from each position for time. Your goal is to get no more than three c zone hits on an IPSC target and do it in 10 seconds or less. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MeFZM6LwHE We also did some speed bulls and finished up with some more moving and shooting drills. As the only lefty in the class I was always behind the power curve starting out, until we switched movement direction.

All in all I found this to be a very informative class and will be looking to train with Mr. Panonne again. Of the 40 or so classes I have taken in the recent past this class ranks toward the top, maybe even top 5.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the honest review. Mike is on my short list of instructors that I really want to take a class with.

My only minor issue is your issue with the costs. Mike is an nationally known instructor that only offers so many classes per year. Supply (access) is pretty low and demand is pretty high. Costs go up. And the travel expenses are necessary expense for any class more than an hour away. How many classes like are offered close enough to not require a road trip and hotel room?

I can't really even take a class at range Time without incurring similar costs.

I understand that you were trying to express the total cost to attend the course, but it seems a little like buying a product online and then complaining about shipping.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Thanks for the honest review. Mike is on my short list of instructors that I really want to take a class with.

My only minor issue is your issue with the costs. Mike is an nationally known instructor that only offers so many classes per year. Supply (access) is pretty low and demand is pretty high. Costs go up. And the travel expenses are necessary expense for any class more than an hour away. How many classes like are offered close enough to not require a road trip and hotel room?

I can't really even take a class at range Time without incurring similar costs.

I understand that you were trying to express the total cost to attend the course, but it seems a little like buying a product online and then complaining about shipping.

You and I get that. I have no problem spending that kind of money on a good class. We would be the exception not the rule though. I often travel much farther and end up spending much more because of it. This one worked out that it was only a couple of hours from home which almost never happens. Though I found it worth it, I stand buy my assertion that it is a lot of money for the average person to spend on training. Besides, I had to find something negative to say or risk being labeled a fanboi. :D

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Besides, I had to find something negative to say or risk being labeled a fanboi.

We all have reputations to protect... :)

I hear you. And I fully admit to trying to save training costs by subscribing to Pantaeo to glean what I could from the instructor videos at $17/mo.
    I can only afford in time and money one class a year. I try to make it count.

I need to contact Paul at Alias to see if we can get a class hosted here.....

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    We would be the exception not the rule though.

I've just recently started looking at the "big boy pool" of training & realized it's similar to a new firearms purchase. (whatever the firearm costs, you're gonna pay that again on accs to make it yours) Class is $300, expect to spend another $300 on basic expenses & that's not including ammo for the class...

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    We all have reputations to protect... :)

I hear you. And I fully admit to trying to save training costs by subscribing to Pantaeo to glean what I could from the instructor videos at $17/mo.
    I can only afford in time and money one class a year. I try to make it count.

I need to contact Paul at Alias to see if we can get a class hosted here.....

I should mention, I didn't mean to imply that those of us who spend that kind of money on training are above average, just that we are not normal.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    You mentioned some people at the class who were not qualified. What would you say are the minimum requirements for a course like this? What skills and level of performance should a student have to be able to keep up with this class?

How many unqualified students did you see at the class? With which drills did they struggle most? Were they treated any different by the instructor? By other students?

Do you think they felt like they were in over their head? Or were they oblivious?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    . . . Later we moved to barricade shooting. This is something I have not done a lot of so I was happy to do it here. After going into a detailed tutorial on the methods we eache lined up behind a barricade and got to work. In between the barricades Mike was teaching his vehicle prone position. After everyone got some reps in Mike set up a drill where we moved left to right going through 3 nine hole barricades with a station for the vehicle prone position in between. The goal was to hit steel from every position and get three hits from each of the prone stations and get it done as fast as you could. I was happy to make it through with no misses.

So what was his opinion on how close you should be to cover (when you have a choice)? We know the conventional wisdom that you should stay back from cover for a variety of reasons, but I've heard Kyle Lamb discussing some opinions that were a little different. Since they have similar backgrounds, I'm curious if that is a common opinion.

. . . After this we spent quite a bit of time on weak hand access of the gun. He had a little twist on the method I have learned and teach. I must say that I will probably be teaching the method he showed us from now on out. We also did some work on one handed reloading. At some point we got to run his 15 in 10 drill. This drill is shot from the 20, 10, and 5 yard lines. You shoot 5 shots from each position for time. Your goal is to get no more than three c zone hits on an IPSC target and do it in 10 seconds or less.

Okay, now you have me interested. You'll have to teach me too!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    So what was his opinion on how close you should be to cover (when you have a choice)? We know the conventional wisdom that you should stay back from cover for a variety of reasons, but I've heard Kyle Lamb discussing some opinions that were a little different. Since they have similar backgrounds, I'm curious if that is a common opinion.

!

That is funny isn't it. I have heard Kyle Lamb say that and Pat and Mike Panonne seem to agree. Mike says the most common failure point in using cover is shooting said cover. Not only do they teach to get right up on it, they use it as a rest and have no problem sticking the muzzle out past. Mike addressed that issue by saying all you have to do IF someone on the other side of cover were to grab it, is pull it back thus laying there hand open, or shoot at which time he felt they would let go. I am not convinced to abandon the way we do it with all of the reasons for it still in tact. Still it is hard to ignore what these guys say. One thing is for sure, it is natural instinct to hug that cover.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    That is funny isn't it. I have heard Kyle Lamb say that and Pat and Mike Panonne seem to agree. Mike says the most common failure point in using cover is shooting said cover. Not only do they teach to get right up on it, they use it as a rest and have no problem sticking the muzzle out past. Mike addressed that issue by saying all you have to do IF someone on the other side of cover were to grab it, is pull it back thus laying there hand open, or shoot at which time he felt they would let go. I am not convinced to abandon the way we do it with all of the reasons for it still in tact. Still it is hard to ignore what these guys say. One thing is for sure, it is natural instinct to hug that cover.

How many people are shooting at me and from what angles? If I'm in a warzone, open battle field with an unknown number of people shooting at me from unknown angles and distances, hugging the cover makes a ton of sense.

If its one guy from a known position, or I'm in a building and the configuration limits the distances and areas from where I can be attacked, I'll play the space and angles game with walls and cover.

It just depends on the situation.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Are you coming back? :-)

I have been busy practicing my weak spots, having a birthday party for my daughter, and trying to get a resume together for a new job. Thanks for reminding me of my priorities though.

Lets start with the basics. Be honest with yourself. Has it been a year since I had a class a class and have done nothing but shoot 50 rounds since then? Did I "grow up around guns" so I am automatically ready for an advanced class? Was I in the military so of course I am ready for this class? Of course there are a lot of variables depending on what type of class we are taking, lets say for the sake of argument (this is INGO after all) we are talking about an advanced handgun class. At bare minimum you should have the four rules and good safety habits ingrained. You should have all of the basics mastered. Trigger finger discipline especially should be second nature. Why? Because there is likely to be movement and 360 degree awareness. You may also be running one handed and "weak" hand drills with people right next to you on the line. Your gunhandling skills should be positive, robust, and confidence inspiring. When I saw you and Jason at 0-5 I knew right away you had put the work in because of you gun handling skills. Lets assume you have safety and gun handling squared away. What next?

Marksmanship. Should you be a decent marksman to attend an advanced class? Lets put it this way, if during the warm up or opening drill your target looks like you are using a shotgun you may not have been ready for this class. If the instructor has to spend a lot of time with you on going over the fundamentals you are either slowing the rest of the class down, or you are struggling to keep up. If the second is the case, it is going to be difficult for you to absorb new material and you are more likely to have safety violations. Using the class for example, Mike went deep into detail on a lot of things, I have to imagine if you didn't have the basics in place these details may have went over your head. When we went to one hand off hand draws, reloading, and malfunction clearance drills it became clear real fast who was not ready.

A lot of this is of course subjective and relative. Advanced is different for everyone and many instructors will teach different things in an "advanced" class and approach it at different angles. Peoples personalities are different. Myself, I probably go overboard on making sure I am ready. I want to go to Roger's but don't feel I am ready yet. With enough work hopefully next year.:D Others feel ready with much less and probably are. I now use a sort of pre test at the beginning of shooting classes that I got from Rangemaster just to see where everyone is at and whether or not I have to adjust things. If I have Josh with me it changes things as then I can have him give some extra attention where it is needed. Most of the time from what I have seen many travelling instructors don't have this luxury.

I am sure you have an opinion on this so lets hear it. Meantime I will leave you with something that could be a template for this type of thing.

Blackwater Standards

Instructors- I (stock service pistols) Students-S (issued pistol for military, personal pistol for civilian)
    Draw, fire 1 on 8” dot from 7 yards: Under 1.50 seconds-I 1.75 seconds-S
    Draw fire 1, slide lock reload, fire 1 on 8” dot at 7 yards: Under 3.00 seconds-I 4.25 seconds-S
    Draw fire 6 rounds on 8” dot at 7 yards: Under 2.25 seconds-I 3.50 seconds-S
    10 rounds slow fire at 25 yards: Inside 8” dot-I Inside IPSC “A” zone-S

El Prez at 10 yards from draw, 3 IPSC targets, start facing up range Under 10 sec, all “A” zone hits-I Smooth and effectively, with no misses-S

Top Bottom