• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I tried something today with my children and wanted to share the interesting results with INGOers.

As many here are aware, I'm a big believer in force on force training and training in context and under stress. It's proven effective in firearms training and I wanted to expand the techniques used to help my children better understand their roles during a house fire.

First, a little background. My children are 2-, 4-, and 7-years-old. Several times a year we would talk about fire safety and what they should do in the event of a house fire. Then periodically I would quiz them to see if they had retained the information. In general they would pass these quizzes with no problem. They could identify the smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in our home, locate our outside family meeting place, test a door for fire behind it, ID a fireman, and crawl to avoid smoke.

But up until today it was all just an intellectual exercise.

Today I asked the kids if they wanted to run a few "fire drills". "Sure!" was their enthusiastic reply. I thought this element was important, because if they were simply forced into this I don't think the experience would've been as effective.

We started with another "quiz" and I made sure each understood their roles in the event the fire. Then they went and got into their beds. Even better was that we were all still in our pajamas. It's small details like this that help solidify the experience into the brain's memory. For the first drill they were told that, when the alarm was heard, the boys (who room together) were to go retrieve their little sister, and then make their way to the outside family meeting spot (our mailbox). I had also decided that I would be coming from my bedroom to retrieve them and take them to the meeting spot.

After they had been feigning sleep in their beds for a few minutes my wife pressed "test" on the fire alarm and allowed it to sound for the duration of the scenario. I immediately came from my room and made my way across our small house to their rooms. The two boys were already on their way to their sister's room. I got the little one from her crib and we all made our way out the front door and down to the mailbox.

1374344_661524500537966_1891775022_n.jpg

After the scenario we spent several minutes talking about what they did, how they felt, and what they could do to improve. I noted that both boys wanted to RUN, and I encouraged them to "walk quickly with purpose" but to avoid running unless necessary.

Here is what I learned from this first scenario--
    • Scenario training works on children.
    • Both boys experienced increased respiration and were a bit freaked out by how loud and constant the alarm sounded.
    • The 7-year-old said his "brain got scattered" when he first heard the alarm.

The excitement of successfully executing the first drill had the kids wanting to do another one. So I obliged.

The second scenario started in the same fashion as the first one-- kids in beds, each knowing what to do when the alarm sounded. But this time I wasn't going to go retrieve them (in fact, they would never even see me in this one). I added a twist by putting some duct tape over the front door knob, as well as the door leading out into the garage. This was to simulate their normal exit blocked by fire or circumstance.

When the alarm sounded the boys immediately got up and got their sister from her crib. They quickly made their way to the front door, where they realized they couldn't exit that way. In just a few moments the 4-year-old said "THE BACK DOOR!" and they made their way to the sliding back door, removing the stick blocking the track, exiting the house, and making their way to the mailbox. Unfortunately the 7-year-old forgot about my "no running" speech and wiped out on the driveway, grinding off the skin on his little toe. It was a minor injury, but it helped drive home the point that getting injured while escaping injury doesn't make much sense, especially when it can be avoided.

Here is what I learned in the second scenario--
    • The kids adapted much quicker to the unexpected blocked door than I had anticipated.
    • Often there is more than one way to egress, keep your head up and be aware of your surroundings.
    • Running when it isn't necessary can get you hurt.

Once the boys learned the lesson of alternate means of escape, they began asking about going out of the windows. So we went to their room and I showed them how flimsy the screen was, and how simply kicking it out would allow them to escape. But of course they wanted to actually go out the window, so we ran another drill.

1383592_661524547204628_1350467638_n.jpg

Again, this scenario started the exact same way. What I didn't tell the boys in advance was that I was going to hold their door shut, forcing them to go out of the window in their room (I had removed the screen manually by this time). The alarm sounded, and I heard the boys yelling for each other to "wake up!". When the 7-year-old got to the door he gave it a tug. Nothing. He tugged again, and it still wouldn't release. I had a good hold on it from the other side of the door.

"It won't open!" he said.

"C'mon, let's go out the window!" the 4-year-old said.

But the 7-year-old kept tugging on the door.

"C'mon! Let's go! C'mon!"

But the 7-year-old wouldn't stop trying the door. I could hear him getting very flustered and frustrated. At this point I didn't understand why he wasn't going out the window. When it became clear he wasn't going to change his approach I stopped the scenario and let go of the door handle. When I went into the room I found the 7-year-old visibly shaken and beginning to tear up. It was at this point that I realized that I had also not told them in advance that their sister wouldn't be a part of this scenario. He kept trying the door because he refused to leave the house without his little sister. :(

At first I kicked myself for overlooking this detail. But then I realized that such a scenario was very realistic, and that not staying in a burning house and fighting in vain to save someone is a very good lesson to learn. This experience opened the door for a great conversation about priorities. My wife and I explained to him that getting himself out was very important, and that we had other ways of getting into his sister's room if the door wasn't passable.

At this point it was obvious that, while effective, the drills were over for the day. Anything further would've probably had a negative impact, as the 7-year-old's ability to endure and retain information had reached its limit. His reaction was very visceral, and it served as a reminder to me that such training should always be taken seriously and given the proper respect.

Here is what I learned in the third scenario--
    • If we had never run these drills under stress we never would've identified the 7-year-old's strong hesitancy to stay in the house for a sibling.
    • The 4-year-old did REALLY well in all scenarios. He was especially good at communicating during the drills. That's something most adults have trouble with.

I was glad the kids showed interest in participating in such life-saving scenarios. My hope and prayer is that they never need to call upon these experiences in their lives, but if they do, they are better prepared today than they were yesterday. While the baby was just along for the ride, the boys learned some important things about fire safety, and themselves. I think it also helped to de-mysitify a few things-- like what the fire alarm sounds like, or how a screen can easily be kicked out of a window.

If you haven't thought of a fire safety plan for your family I would encourage you to do so. If you haven't gone over that plan with your family in a while I would recommend bringing up the topic soon. If your family is fully aware of the plan and their roles, try running through the plan in real-time in your pajamas to see if it works. You might be surprised in what you learn.

:ingo:

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    But the 7-year-old wouldn't stop trying the door. I could hear him getting very flustered and frustrated. At this point I didn't understand why he wasn't going out the window. When it became clear he wasn't going to change his approach I stopped the scenario and let go of the door handle. When I went into the room I found the 7-year-old visibly shaken and beginning to tear up. It was at this point that I realized that I had also not told them in advance that their sister wouldn't be a part of this scenario. He kept trying the door because he refused to leave the house without his little sister. :(

I saw this coming the minute I read he refused to go for the window when it became obvious the door wouldn't open.

I was just thinking about doing a fire safety unit in our homeschool. I think I will add this (or something similar) to the mix.

A couple of questions, if you don't mind: how did you determine where your family's meeting place would be? I know the choice was based off of your priorities, but I'd like to hear your thought process.

Excellent write-up. Thanks for sharing. Except for the fact that you made more work for me. My one-week unit will now probably become 2. :):

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    how did you determine where your family's meeting place would be? I know the choice was based off of your priorities, but I'd like to hear your thought process.

We live in a small single-story ranch in a medium-sized neighborhood. As you can see from the picture (taken from the front doorway), the mailbox isn't that far from the house.

My first inclination was to make the meeting spot the lightpole across the street. This would have the benefit of more distance from the burning house. But then this would require the kids to cross the street-- not cool. I'd hate for them to make it safety out of a burning house to then be hit by a car at night.

Having them stage at the mailbox also makes it easier for me or my wife to locate them if we are unsure of their location. A quick glance outside would allow us to see if they'd made it out (in the event we couldn't get to them). We would know that they should only be in two places-- at the mailbox or still in their rooms.

Once the family is all together we can them move to a better position, like across the street or in a neighbor's yard.

I was involved in a house fire when I was in high school. My parents were out at dinner and my 13-year-old sister and I were the only ones home. Lighting struck the roof and our whole house alarm began going off. We didn't have a pre-determined plan at the time, so after unsuccessfully looking for the cat, we took the family dog, left the front door open, and walked across the street to a neighbor's garage (it was pouring down rain).

While waiting for the fire department my parents arrived home. Before we could run over and tell them what was going on, they went looking for us. Imagine their brief confusion when they arrived home to a blaring alarm, burning house, open doors, and no sign of their kids.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The only question I have is where is you sidearm? The fire alarm could just be a ploy to get you all outside unarmed.:cool:

You didn't see the 3 IPSC targets stapled to the neighbor's tree? We each took a turn shooting them after getting to the mailbox. ;)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    lovemywoods and I came up with a cool idea for a class at his range. It involves starting from beds, and all shooting is done in sleepwear. :):

That's actually a pretty good idea....

By the way, I think your safety plan with your kids is really neat. I'm hoping I can do the same thing someday.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    lovemywoods and I came up with a cool idea for a class at his range. It involves starting from beds, and all shooting is done in sleepwear.

y'all had better not invite me, then. It would probably be singularly the most disgusting yet awe-inspiring thing you'll ever see. Eye-bleach would be needed, I promise.

dirtdigger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    This is good stuff and your a great dad for teaching the kids how to be safe and look out for one another, especially with the dynamic drills.
    We don't have any kids, but my wife and I have talk-through and walk through sessions of what we would do in case of a fire in different parts of the house.
    We've done the same for home invasion scenarios, if we're both home or if it's just her.
    It's good to at least have a game plan for such stuff, understanding that it may have to change.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Great write up! Thanks!

I'm taking some time off next week to be home with the "fam". I intended to talk to my 3-year-old a bit about this, while she helps me replace the batteries in the smoke and CO detectors. Now, we may have to run some drills as well!

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Great Great Stuff Evan !!!!!!

The fact that your 7yr old did want to leave without his little sis got to me a little bit. What a very tough thinking little warrior!! ALso a very very good learning experiece for him. While his intentions were well placed and noble, you can only do what you can do.

Well done Dad !!!

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    This is a great education for the kids and your self. excellent drill and write up definitely have to save this for my wife and practice it when I have kids.

Top Bottom