• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Took this class last week in Pleasantville. It was a very profitable time. Thanks to Shay, Evan and all the other instructors and classmates. I learned a lot. (I was a little disappointed that the Blade-Tech Yellow Training Barrel was not more emphasized as the most perfect training tool of all time, but no school is perfect :) )

I think Jackson is going to do an AAR (and I'm planning on doing a review of the class for SWAT magazine) so I won't go into detail here, but I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed training with Mindset Labs. It's probably the most efficient use of your training dollars if you carry a gun for self-defense.

I've had somewhere between 100-150 hours of scenario-based training using UTM's or Simmunition, all of it being government and LEO training. As such, my role in the scenarios was clearly established, the goal was determined beforehand and the scenario generally tested 1 specific thing.

Shay's scenarios are set up a bit differently. I won't give them away, but they involve multiple decisions and a sufficient amount of "grey area" to force you to really think during the scenario. You end up trying to accomplish 3 or 4 things simultaneously that can't be accomplished simultaneously, so it requires you to stop, think and prioritize tasks. This approach mimics my experience in real-life stressful situations.

One aspect of Mindset Labs that is different than any other school I've been to, is the AAR time. After each scenario, the student sits alone at a desk and completes an AAR form to assist in ingraining the lessons learned. You do this during the next student's time in the scenario so there is plenty of time.

In most other classes, the scenarios are run one right after the other and a quick debrief is done. But, by the end of the day, many of the specific lessons learned in a scenario were later lost in the stress of the subsequent ones. Not to mention, scenarios run together. So, Shay's approach to analyzing what you did right and wrong is by far the best I've encountered.

I learned several lessons. (I also wrote down a few questions I had regarding some of my tactics. The questions remind me to really work out WHY I approach a problem a certain way. I'm always trying to make sure my tactics are sound.) But, the principle I think was reinforced more than anything (and which drives other tactics) was "always be looking for work."

In other words, if I find myself not doing ANYTHING at the moment, there's a very good chance I'm screwing up. There is almost always something that can be done: top off, find better cover, provide medical treatment, move to better cover, communicate to someone, scanning, re-scanning, go back to the car to get more ammo, secure the suspect's weapon, etc, etc, etc.

We have a tendency to prefer to spend $ on square range training and cool guy gear. We like to show off our new pile of Magpul or like to punch our "Insert Latest Fashionable Tactical School" Ticket. Unfortunately, we are less likely to pay to take a class that actually tests our training. It's understandable to a certain extent. You're putting yourself out there and make no mistake, it can get really uncomfortable. But, if it's knowledge and preparation for armed encounters that you're seeking, Mindset Labs is going to develop your skills more efficiently than most of the traditional, live-fire shooting classes.

I will be taking more training from Mindset Labs in the future and I suggest you do as well :rockwoot:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Decision making under stress is an area of defense that is typically ignored. It's easier to go to class after class that teach shooting. Making good decisions under stress is more important than shooting tiny groups.

Thank you for your review and I'm glad you got a new perspective out of Mindset Laboratory's training.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Great review! I'm glad we were able to provide an experience that caused you to reflect on your own tactics and the "whys". The "choose your own ending" aspect of scenario-based FoF is like no other, and it sure keeps me on my toes as a roleplayer. I'm still learning but you and the rest of the students did really well and learned some important lessons.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom