Spare pistol mag: Bullets to the front? Or to the rear?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you carry your spare magazine?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So a co-worker and I are discussing drawing a spare mag from a pouch, and the issue of bullets forward or rearward came up.

So for the sake of this poll, let's assume you are drawing the spare magazine from your support side pouch, which is sitting vertically like so:

410610cbk.jpg

Do you carry it with the bullets facing to your front, or to your rear?

Bonus points if you can post pics or videos. :D

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Bullets facing to the rear. My opinion, having them facing front makes no sense. With them facing the rear it's so much easier for me to grab the mag and put in it the handgun.

edit: pic is broken for me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I carry my spare mag with the bullets facing forward. Even if I took a picture it wouldn't look different either way. ;)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    This boils down to efficient vs effective. While it may be more efficient, Rob Pincus makes a great case for this, to reload bullets to the rear, we find that bullets to the fore is more effective.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I guess I am a little surprised at this question, forward of course. Now if you carry your mag horizontally, I can see, bullets up or down?:)

btw, rifle mag bullets to the rear.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    This boils down to efficient vs effective. While it may be more efficient, Rob Pincus makes a great case for this, to reload bullets to the rear, we find that bullets to the fore is more effective.

Not being snotty, truly curious...

In what manner is it more effective? You can (I do) still index off of the font of the mag with my bullets faing rear, but I am not required to turn the mag in any way when reloading. It is one solid movement.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am most familiar with "bullets forward". This is what I've seen in various live-fire classes. I've never seen "bullets rearward" taught.

But, according to the poll so far, people do. So I'd be very curious to hear especially from the "bullets rearward" guys as to their methodology. And as to why they carry that way, or where they learned it?

Good topic here.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    Rearward. I carry my rifle mags bullet rearwards, to carry a pistol mag differently doesn't make much sense. Whether it is a pistol of a rifle the bullets go the same way down the tube and I like to carry the spares the same.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I am most familiar with "bullets forward". This is what I've seen in various live-fire classes. I've never seen "bullets rearward" taught.

But, according to the poll so far, people do. So I'd be very curious to hear especially from the "bullets rearward" guys as to their methodology. And as to why they carry that way, or where they learned it?

Good topic here.
    No expert here, but if you had your bullets rearward on your strong side and you pulled them up out of the pouch they would then be facing forward when you flipped them over.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN

Good topic here.

I never took any classes. A close friend taught me the important things about firearms. I asked him about it and he says he carries them "rearward" because he finds it easier.

I tried them facing the front, just to practice and I didn't like it. It was awkward to do it.

For me, it's easier to just put my thumb on the Glock logo near the bottom of the mag, index around the baseplate, middle finger under baseplate and putting it in.

Good topic indeed.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Here's a question. If you buy mag pouches from Comp-TAC and Raven Concealment, they ask you for what side you draw from. I draw left, support side. So, all my mags come made with the mags facing forward.

Must be a reason for that.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Here's a question. If you buy mag pouches from Comp-TAC and Raven Concealment, they ask you for what side you draw from. I draw left, support side. So, all my mags come made with the mags facing forward.

Must be a reason for that.

Yep because when you pull them out and flip them up they will be pointing in the direction you want to feed them into the gun. Just like if they are on your strong side you will be flipping them forward and facing the direction the gun is pointing. I solved it. The thread can now be closed.:D

Top Bottom