Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Blue Cell Protective Services
    Less-Lethal Defensive Options Course
    After Action Report

by esrice

mjr9za.jpg

WHEN: Saturday, August 13th, 2011

WHERE: lovemywoods' Range - Brown County, Indiana (hour south of Indy)

WEATHER: ~83 degrees with a gentle breeze, no rain

INSTRUCTORS: BCPS Owner Erik Utrecht (Trek), Assistant Instructor Clay, Photographer Christa

STUDENTS: esrice, Mrs. esrice, lovemywoods, Mrs. lovemywoods, Kr_Treefrog2, tyler34, Prestige Worldwide, theweakerbrother, Mrs. theweakerbrother, OneBadV8, bwframe, MTC, brown trix, Chindong

COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...urse_lovemywoods_range_sat_aug_13_2011_a.html

I first met Erik Utrecht (Trek) last year during MDFI's Carbine 1 class that lovemywoods and I hosted. At that time he was one of their Assistant Instructors, and he told me about his own executive protection and private investigation firm Blue Cell Protective Services.

I was immediately impressed by his squared away good-guy persona. A former Airman and police officer, Trek is first and foremost an excellent teacher. He knows his material inside-and-out, and can articulate that material to any student in such a way that they can use it in their own unique situation.

So when Trek approached me earlier this year about bringing his new Less-Lethal Defensive Options Course down to Indy for INGOers, I said "Absolutely!".

What follows is my own personal experience in this class. Everyone's experiences will be slightly different, but I wanted to share mine so that those who may be sitting on the fence about taking such a class will feel motivated to get up off the couch and do it!

For me, this class really bridged a gap in my "tactical toolbox". Most of my training so far has been focused on pistols, carbines, and carry law. What I lacked was a response to those bad situations that require a strong response, but not yet a lethal one.

I was lucky enough to have my wife join me, which was a first for us. Although I felt that she had great situational awareness and natural instincts as a woman and mother, I wanted her to also have some basic tools to deal with situations when I couldn't be around.

Registration began at 9:30am. INGOers began to gather in the driveway and side yard, and then were directed down toward the lake, where we signed liability waivers.

b3940e85.jpg

c019bd29.jpg

264405fa.jpg

At 10am Trek kicked things off by asking some very serious questions, giving students the option of packing up and leaving the class with a full refund if they couldn't definitely answer with a solid "yes". One of the questions asked was "Are you willing to do whatever it takes to come home to your family at night?" My answer was "yes".

Trek then introduced himself, Clay, and Christa. He gave everyone his pertinent background information, and then asked each student to introduce themselves and share their reasons for taking the class. We were then asked to remove all jewelry, watches, guns, knives, flashlights, wallets, and cell phones-- anything that could get hurt, or hurt us, in the hand-to-hand portion of the class. We then gave a pat down to the person next to us, ensuring that there were absolutely no weapons in the training area.

687cfd05.jpg

Although Trek was the lead instructor, he had no problem opening up the floor to discussion from students. This revealed some interesting perspectives for all to consider. At one point he asked each student "what about people causes you personal concern?" We found that what concerns ladies is often very different than what concerns men.

4e75f526.jpg

We went over the 5 (behavioral) types of people we are likely to encounter in our lives. We also discussed the many gray areas that exist between these types, and how women may be justified in using a less-lethal option sooner than their male counterparts would, due to a disparity of force.

We talked briefly about Cooper's color codes of awareness, and how we as responsible people should strive to always stay in Condition Yellow, and out of Condition White. We recognized that technology offers many ways to keep people in Condition White all the time-- like talking on cell phones and using iPads.

We then went hands-on by learning some open-hand/weapon-less defense techniques. We learned that the average human has 45 seconds worth of 'fight' in them, so we'd better make it count. We went over a basic "interview stance", and why having your hands available at all times is important.

95af76dd.jpg

Trek
    showed us the 'proper' or 'preferred' way to fall backwards, which prevented injury while allowing us to maintain a defensible position. We learned that this position is actually quite strong, as we are still very mobile and can defend with our legs. We also incorporated firearm draws using blue guns or "finger guns".

d76d3408.jpg

16e24acd.jpg

892b7f26.jpg

273747d9.jpg

2d8b74bb.jpg

66d515f0.jpg

8e80d764.jpg

94ea7760.jpg

5af94cc2.jpg

We then learned how to defend from a high-tackle, mid-tackle, and low-tackle. We paired up with a "buddy" and alternated roles of good guy and bad guy. The response to the high- and low-tackle was the same, using our forearms for brachial artery strikes and head control, while shifting our weight aggressively into our attacker. Because a low-tackle is so detrimental to our legs and knees, we practiced "sprawling" and getting on top of our attacker. We also learned how to break away from a bear hug where our hands were pinned high and then low. A short time was spent on defending attacks from behind, where you essentially drive your pelvis backwards into your attacker, breaking free from their grip, giving you time to strike or flee.

5d0d4799.jpg

c6bfadcb.jpg

8d1634e8.jpg

dcda7490.jpg

27023dfd.jpg

79ffd93f.jpg

3f170475.jpg

ab1924a1.jpg

We then worked on more traditional ground fighting techniques and positions such as mount, side mount, and guard, and went over the strengths and weakness of each. We also approached these positions with our partners as the good guy, and then as the bad guy.

58125b15.jpg

For me, these scenarios showed just how quickly I can become tired and out of breath in a struggle. Even holding my head up off the ground after a few ground fighting sessions became tiresome. I will say, however, that trips to the gym did help in shortening my recovery times, and I didn't spend too much time sucking wind.

We broke for lunch sometime after 1pm. We were all hot, sweaty, and grass-stained. lovemywoods provided sloppy joe or lunch meat sandwiches with chips and drinks. To top it off he even made his famous chocolate chip cookies! Just about everyone took advantage of the air conditioning and ate inside.

After lunch we moved our gear and set up in the side yard. Trek brought out an entire "toy chest" of less-lethal devices, from OC to CS to CN, stun guns, and tasers. As he demo'd each device and its operation, he also handed them around the class and we got a chance to see them up close. He went over their pros and cons, and why certain devices were preferred for certain circumstances. Items demo'd included (but not limited to): JPX Jet Protector, Kimber Pepper Blaster, PepperBall HotShot, Taser C2, as well as many personal handheld OC devices from Fox, Top Cop, and Freeze Plus P.

75ec0797.jpg

54d7da0a.jpg

b67ed7ed.jpg

eba3faec.jpg

5ba00b4e.jpg

62b5557d.jpg

3664e12b.jpg

We learned about the chemical makeup of OC, CS, and CN. We also learned about their effects on the human body. OC, for example, causes one's mucous membranes to essentially freak out, causing eyes to close, mouths to water, noses to run, and pores to burn. We learned about the "percentage myth", and why 2% can be just as nasty as 10%. Any type of OC/Pepper spray/Mace is also perfectly legal here in Indiana, whereas BCPS's home state of Michigan regulates it.

We then went over the physical mechanics of spraying an attacker. A perfect analog for OC is. . . . . silly string! First we practiced by spraying Trek and Clay, and then we paired back up and ran through a few "spray/no-spray" scenarios.

3bc5df29.jpg

c8fd06dc.jpg

Being a former police officer, Trek was also able to give everyone his perspective on what to do after an incident, how to report it, and how to deal with the first responders. He covered several different scenarios, including when to call the police, and what information to give them.

We also went over a small block on emergency medical response. It was very basic, but we got to see techniques demonstrated for using an Israeli bandage, CAT tourniquet, and QuikClot. We learned how these could be used to keep someone from bleeding out until professional help arrived.

0a363b5b.jpg

Then the entire class was asked to go around to the opposite side of the house. We were all given the same scenario--

"Its 11pm and you just came from the movie theater. Walk to your car in the parking lot, get in, and drive home."

One at a time we were called to come around and walk to our car, which was an SUV in the driveway. Clay (who is a fantastic role player, btw) then played several different parts-- one as a drunk college kid excited about the recent Colts game, one as a crazy scientologist wanting to spread his gospel, one as a bum panhandler, and one as an attacker lying in wait while pretending to talk on a cell phone. After we handled our specific scenario, we would then break it down with Trek, discussing our mindset, thought process, and actions. This really got our hearts pumping and our brains racing!

c87fa52e.jpg

43df1cd5.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr0SQU5s8FM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWHm7tKtIg4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXS4dyu02o[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYuZTJCaPPU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SA3xl-BoCA[/ame]

To close out the class and end the day, Trek gave every student an opportunity to take an OC hit to the face-- we had 3 volunteers. bwframe, theweakerbrother, and OneBadV8 all volunteered to receive first hand experience on the effects of OC along with Trek, who took his 19th hit. The rest of us learned how to properly decontaminate an affected person. This was a true learning experience for everyone, as simply talking about it doesn't quite prepare you for what actually happens. When our volunteers were finally able to speak, they did their best to precisely describe the pain they were experiencing. Most noted a severe burning sensation, along with a feeling of drowning, and not being able to navigate due to their eyes being forced closed. I learned that our decontamination methods did work, but it took time.

15d2102b.jpg

bcd58586.jpg

d2d9fde7.jpg

c2fb99d9.jpg

After class Trek handed out certificates of course completion to the students, including a letter stating that we had either witnessed or experienced the effects of OC, and a BCPS "Death Pepper" patch. lovemywoods also presented each participant with a certificate for 2 free hours of range time at his private shooting range. A class picture topped off the day.

e3f049a3.jpg

On the way home my wife and I had an hour to discuss the class. We both learned a great deal and want to continue to fill the gap between "helpless" and "shoot 'em to the ground". My wife wants to again host BCPS and their shorter 4-hour OC class for her circle of friends, as she feels that many of them would really benefit from the information taught and techniques presented.

I would highly recommend Blue Cell Protective Services to anyone looking to fill those gaps in their "tactical toolbox". Whether you go to them in Michigan or they come to you, I know you'll be satisfied in the amount of training you receive for the money you pay.

I want to thank lovemywoods and Mrs. lovemywoods for again opening up their property to allow us INGOers to experience this kind of necessary training.

A huge thanks goes to Blue Cell Protective Services crew Trek, Clay, and Christa, for their willingness to drive from Michigan to teach us Hoosiers a thing or two. I know you guys couldn't have made much money from this venture, and I appreciate the time you spent away from your loved ones so we can better protect ours.

I also appreciate Kr_Treefrog2, tyler34, Prestige Worldwide, theweakerbrother, Mrs. theweakerbrother, OneBadV8, bwframe, MTC, brown trix, and Chindong for making training a priority, and for getting up off that couch! This was a great group to train with, and everyone was safe and thirsty to learn.

I may be biased, but I also want to thank Fenway for what he has created with INGO. Without this great community this event would have never happened, and I wouldn't have had the chance to meet such fine Hoosiers.

Last edited:

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Ok, here are my initial thoughts after some sleep and finally getting rid of the spicy face (and arms) :D

First and foremost, the hosts are the best in the world. Thanks again for having us out and sharing your home with us lovemywoods, Mrs lovemywoods, and Kr_Treefrog2!

Also thanks to Trek, Clay, and Christa for coming down to put on the class! And a big Thanks to BWFrame for being my spotter and helping with the decontaminating process after getting hit with OC Spray :yesway:

This was a very good class and I definitely need more like it. All my training so far has been focused on firearms trainging. This class helps to start to bridge the gap for how to better prepare yourself if something happens directly to you at a very close range to be able to get back to your gun or whatever deterrant you may have at the time.

The first half of the class was focused on ground work and how to possibly get out of a few different situations and even how to take a hit and/or counter a take down. I honestly thought it would be a bit more physical when it was mentioned we get bumps and bruises but it was very useful and I wasn't disappointed at all.

The second half of the class was more informative on the different less than lethal options availabe. Pepper Spray, OC, CN, Tasers, and Stun guns were all covered. Trek shared his experiences on what works and what to expect from the different types. It was very informative to see and hear all the different options and how they can compliment each other and other options you might already be carrying.

Getting sprayed at the end was very informative as well, I can definitely tell you that OC spray is very effective. Having experienced once I think I would know better what to expect from using it or even getting hit with it.

Very good class, I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Thank you, once again, to Mr. & Mrs. Lovemywoods and family for your kind hospitality.

The course was conducted in a professional and even-handed manner. Information and skills imparted are extremely useful for those situations and circumstances where, for whatever reason, one is either not carrying a firearm, or is confronted with a threat at close range that does not necessarily warrant the use of deadly force and can be neutralized by other means.

These skills are sometimes overlooked in the world of firearms-oriented training, and help immensely to bridge the gap across that gray area of interpersonal conflict.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    And of course we need a blooper reel!

tyler34's campaign for adoption continues. . . .

9f26d12e.jpg

And theweakerbrother wears his heart on his sleeve. . . .

02106a4d.jpg

bwframe quickly realizes that training knives have limitations.

14d83ffe.jpg

Silly INGO. . .

488fb641.jpg

lovemywoods and Mrs. lovemywoods totally missed the point of a "bear hug attack".

0159211f.jpg

A stupid stray cat decided to get in on the ground fighting.

db3e96e7.jpg

theweakerbrother fights dirty!!

e9f5f9e3.jpg

Ummm.......

dba88532.jpg

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Had I not had a very good and valid excuse for not coming to this class I would be kicking myself. I was very interested in it when I first heard about it, but didn't check the calendar carefully enough to see that my daughter's graduation for her masters was that day. I will say I'm still kicking myself just a bit. The opportunity for this type of training so close to home doesn't come around very often. Thank you, Esrice and the LoveMyWoods family for hosting and putting this together.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    I suggest everyone take this class!!!! Guys and Girls

thanks to everyone: lovemywoods & family for hosting, trek clay & Christina for teaching us, and the participants for being interactive (especially Burl, Robb, Chuck, and Trek for getting sprayed in the face)

I had a Great day at class. I was really nervous at first since i have no previous experience in defense classes and didn't know what the expect. I had read there would be bruises and soreness the next day. I didn't have any bruises BUT i am sore for sure in my arms. That's okay because i'd rather be sore and know the information that i learned because it was so beneficial. I didn't take my camera so i'll just type what i thought about the class.

I took the class to have some general knowledge on what to do if there is a threat i come across. I wanted information about "what" and "when" do i take action if i'm threatened. I don't carry a firearm personally and i'm not allowed to have any weapons at work. I try not to go out alone but it happens in life and at times i'm scared at night by myself so this class was perfect for me. I'm not ready to carry a firearm and honestly as much as i work i'd never have it on me anyway even if i was ready. I've thought about pepper spray but was too scared go buy it & carry it because i didn't know when/how/what happens/at what point is it scary enough to justify to use it?

I highly suggest this class if you've ever thought about getting pepper spray. I Now feel safe carrying it with me when i'm out walking or just leaving a building to get into my car. Parking lots tend to make me nervous in general. Plus at the end of the class we all got a personal sized ones to carry.
    I would take this class if you do carry a firearm on a regular basis! Let's say you do have to use your firearm- the information taught is to help in conjunction with your firearm. The ground work helps you get into a safe position and then safely pull a weapon (spray, gun, knife, whatever). The objective was the get home safe at the end of the day! This class will give you a better chance of that happening!

Trek was a great instructor due to being serious enough to teach the information needed & making it FUN doing it. He made sure that all questions were answered before he moved on but still kept the class on track moving through subjects. Not once did i feel stupid for asking him to repeat or re-demonstrate anything. Trek made sure everyone was comfortable with their own level of physical capabilities. We paired with a partner so we could practice the moves. He and Clay had great demonstrations then the participants practiced the moves they were just shown. It was a hands on class because it's easy watch and listen to someone telling you how to do something but it's better to do it yourself. It was great to have an instructor tell you if you're right or wrong when they are watching you practice it. I didn't realize how important the ground work is in trying to get away from a threat. There was no way i would have thought to do any of that on my own.

After the ground work we had a wonderful lunch and then moved on to the second half of the class about pepper spray and tazers. I've always wondered about tazers and stun guns and Trek explained the differences. He did a live taz into the target and we got to see the cord and tips. I didn't realize there were so many different options to choose from with pepper sprays. We learned about situational awareness, scenarios, and were given Silly string as our pretend spray. This was a genius idea on the instructors behalf because it made the scenario real for the students. Spraying your partner with silly string is a good practice and makes you think about how serious it is in real life.

I personally appreciated the information about how to call 911. I've had a general idea but wasn't sure what information to tell them 1st, 2nd, and so on. Do i hang up or stay on the line? How much information is needed? There were many different opinions and ideas and Trek made the class open and comfortable for everyone.

Trek talked about having a "safe word" for your family. I've never had one before but i will now going forward. The safe word example given was lets say there is an intruder in the home, your wife's inside, you're outside and the cops come. How will she know when it's safe if she's in a room with the door locked? She won't know if it's a police officer entering or the intruder if she can't see them entering. If someone yells that safe word when they enter the home then she knows.
    2nd example: have a safe word for your family if you have kids. If someone approaches them and tries to tell them the parent is hurt and they don't say the safe word.....then they're not safe to go with.

My favorite part was....everything really. The whole class was a learning experience for me and now that i'm home i'm going to cover safety items with my daughter that i learned in class. I am so happy and thankful that i had the opportunity to learn the information and it has changed my outlook and personal habits.

Practice, Practice, Practice is what i will have to do now. I loved the class and can't wait to take another one. Thanks again to everyone!!! :D

Trek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    RCS HQ
    Wow indeed!

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone!

Clay, Christa and I had a great time this weekend and we will make the drive anytime for our friends at INGO!

A huge "Thank you!" to lovemywoods and his family for being such gracious hosts- you can search forever and probably not find a rival for such a wonderful place to train.

To our students- thank you for stepping out of the training norm and attending- we hope that we were able to give you valuable skills to add to your defensive tool kit should trouble find you prepared.

To my fellow "Spicyface" Brothers who stepped up and took an OC hit- great job all of you! You paid personal pain for an ability to articulate and relate to the use of a tool that you can now carry knowing full-well how it works. :rockwoot:

Clay and I have not had a more switched-on, involved student body like we did Saturday and we will be certain to rate all future classes against this weekend's LLDOC!

Fenway my friend- you have a great community here at INGO! BCPS looks forward to our next trip down!

Take care all!

-Trek

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom