• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well, we got our chicks delivered today. Unfortunately, only 2 have survived. Something got into the box during the day, and made off with 9 of the chicks, leaving 4 dead, and the two that survived.

I'll be getting in touch with the hatchery tomorrow. It turns out that the post office couldn't get in touch with me because the hatchery had transposed 2 numbers of my cell phone on the packing slip.

You can read all about it at my wife's new blog... Windy Acres Tales

20090518-20090518-IMG_0377.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm just amazed you can have live chickens shipped in the mail. Can you get them shipped fried, too? Because I might be interested in that.

btwelch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    I spent a year working for the post office as a carrier and always hated when the local Rural King got its chick order in. Those buggers are noisy when your "cooped up" with them in a mail truck.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well, the good news is the hatchery is sending out another batch of chicks at no charge. I'll be working from home so I'll be there when they are delivered.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    We get a call at 5:59 am or 6:00 am telling us our chicks, chicken or turkey what ever are in and I go pick them up. It's how it's done out here.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    One of my friends got lucky somehow. I guess the owner of a local hardware store gave him 30 chicks. He's sold or gotten rid of some, and I saw at least one grown rooster. Lucky bastard, lol

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    My 25 chickens are amazing!!!!! You wouldn't think a bird that large could fly real well.

I went out tonight to shut up the coup for the night and about 1/2 of them are sitting on top of my 8 ft fence waiting on me. I also have one that thinks it is a Parrot....

I was giving them feed and refilling the water when it decides my head is a good place to chill out. Good thing it didn't take a dump or I would have been having chicken tonight.

Good Luck with your birds!!!

I have an extra cockeral if you need one, California Leghorn.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks for all the encouragement and snarks...

The birds arrived on Wed., overnight shipping. The post office got a hold of me as I was pulling out of the driveway going to work, so I picked them up, and then dropped them off at home. Still not sure why they decided to just drop them off on Monday, other then not wanting to be in the post office overnight.

They sure are cute little buggers. Windy Acres Tales: And then there were 17

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    There is a hatchery about 30 mi N of Lafayette and I used to rent a house from the owners. They shipped chicks year around on Wed or Thurs of every other week and if you were in the post office arround noon on chick day, you almost couldn't hear yourself think. Large orders were delivered by their big straight truck.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well, we got our chicks delivered today. Unfortunately, only 2 have survived. Something got into the box during the day, and made off with 9 of the chicks, leaving 4 dead, and the two that survived.

I'll be getting in touch with the hatchery tomorrow. It turns out that the post office couldn't get in touch with me because the hatchery had transposed 2 numbers of my cell phone on the packing slip.

You can read all about it at my wife's new blog... Windy Acres Tales

For-ah say, fortunately, ah keep mah
    chicks numbahed fo' jus' such an emuhgency.​
    Foghorn-Leghorn-256x256.png

Hadda be said. :D

Bless-ah say, Blessings,
    Bill

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    Keith Indy's chick cousins

Keith, post some more photos!!

Here are the day-old chick siblings from the replacement order in their corner of our barn stall:

web.jpg

Last edited:

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    One month old!

Thanks again to Keith_Indy for buying day-old chicks without knowing if he could find someone that could take 12 of them off his hands!!

They are now about a month old. Most of the "fuzz" is gone. This breed, Buff Orpington, is SO calm, compared to all the others I've had in past years.

This photo was taken at dusk, when all but one had settled down for the night. They are in a stall corner, against a sliding door.

web.jpg

Top Bottom