Gas container - How to get the last drop out?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I have a DuraMax Flo n Go 14 gallon container.
    It looks like this
    41-zXQfmWIL.jpg

Product description here

In any case using the pump that comes with the container is great provided
    1) the container is HIGHER than what you are pumping into (ie. transfer from 14 gallon to a 5 gallon container)
    2) the container is GREATER THEN 15% full

I have a 'stand' made of bricks and plywood that is about 6 feet high that I place the container to raise it so that gravity does it's job to get the gasoline out. This solves issues #1 most of the time expect when I have to raise the container up 6 feet full of fuel to start the process. That is a royal PITA since the container when full is heavy.

The biggest issue I have is I can never get all the fuel out. Even when I don't use the pump and tip the container over fully I still have some fuel left in the container < .5 gallon I would imagine but it's still in there.

Any ideas on how to make life easier on getting the fuel out? A pump? Taller stand? Etc?
    Thanks

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I have a DuraMax Flo n Go 14 gallon container.
    It looks like this
    41-zXQfmWIL.jpg

Product description here

In any case using the pump that comes with the container is great provided
    1) the container is HIGHER than what you are pumping into (ie. transfer from 14 gallon to a 5 gallon container)
    2) the container is GREATER THEN 15% full

I have a 'stand' made of bricks and plywood that is about 6 feet high that I place the container to raise it so that gravity does it's job to get the gasoline out. This solves issues #1 most of the time expect when I have to raise the container up 6 feet full of fuel to start the process. That is a royal PITA since the container when full is heavy.

The biggest issue I have is I can never get all the fuel out. Even when I don't use the pump and tip the container over fully I still have some fuel left in the container < .5 gallon I would imagine but it's still in there.

Any ideas on how to make life easier on getting the fuel out? A pump? Taller stand? Etc?
    Thanks

Rope & pulley? :dunno: More specifically, block & tackle.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The fuel gets rotated every 20 months. Would like to get all the old fuel out before adding the new one with the stabilier in it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I don't see any way unless you use a siphon hose or pump. On the other hand, that small amount of old gas won't have any effect on the 14 gallons of fresh gas.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't see any way unless you use a siphon hose or pump. On the other hand, that small amount of old gas won't have any effect on the 14 gallons of fresh gas.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Adding fresh on top of that little amount of fuel will not be an issue.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well then if it's not going to harm the fresh gas going in I won't worry about it.
    Now to just figure a better way of being able to lift that beast when full.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have one too, I got it from a relative that sells boat stuff. It was a sample that he had and didn't want anymore.

IMHO, Total piece of junk. The pump never did work very well for me and on the 2nd try with it gas started oozing out the pump. Not good at all. So I did what any man would do. Not take defeat, I cut the pump off and just elevate the tank when rotating the gas. But the troubles couldn't stop there. Now, the brass ball-valve on the bottom that I use as my on/off valve in the absence of the crap-tastic pump starts leaking. It only leaks when it's in the open position, when closed it is fine. So I ultimately resort to siphoning the gas out... It is the most frustrating bit of fuel storage I have and the ONLY reason I keep it around is that it is a DOT approved container for transport so when I go to the station to rotate fuel I can use that instead of 3-6 of my 5-gallon cans. When I get home it gets emptied out into my 18 gallon drums.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    A fuel transfer pump made from a marine grade fuel pump with water filter. I am not going to post a how to on this but marine grade electronics in general are better because they take into account things like fume build up below deck AKA safety is big deal or boats turn into fuel bombs. Use quality wiring and fuel lines on the intake and outlfow. When not in use, you can store it in a bucket, ammo can or whatever, just add a vent.

A cheaper way and one I have used since the mid 90's is to buy a quality outboard motor fuel bulb, a pair of stainless hose clamps and a length of clear vinyl tube. Cut and put squeeze bulb inline where you deem appropriate. You can sit and squeeze that bulb till the tank is damn near dry but not to the last drop. It coils up nicely when not in use. Basically works similar to tank in OP without the tank.

Top Bottom