• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I've never hunted, anything, at all. I want to give it a try. I want kill and eat something. I figure squirrel might be a good place to start. I don't own a rifle but figure I'd like to go with a .22 for this experiment. I've looked @ Ruger 10/22 and Savage Arms Stevens 300? Am I on the right track? Any inputs on gun, gear, techniques? I'm not looking to go big money, just the basics to get the job done.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    10/22 is a great all around 22. Grab a scope and get it zeroed. I zero mine at 25 yards. However, it's easier to shoot squirrel with something like a 410 while leaves are still on the trees.

As far as technique, get in the woods early, pop a squat and let things settle. Once you squirrels, shoot em.

You can stalk them as well but if you're just starting out, a passive approach might be more successful.

Good luck and welcome to the hunting club.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Either of those guns would work fine, with or without a scope. I've had the best luck going right after a rain or early in the morning while the ground is still damp. It makes it easier to keep quiet and sneak up on squirrels. You should aim for the head in order to preserve as much meat as possible. And once you get a squirrel, try it with BBQ sauce, it's a pretty good combo! Good luck!

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I don't hunt either, but DNR website seems like something you should look at.

Fox squirrels, as well as gray squirrels, can be legally harvested from during the valid squirrel hunting season. They may be taken with any equipment and ammunition during squirrel hunting season, though a .22-caliber rifle or 410-gauge shotgun is recommended. Hunters must meet fluorescent orange clothing requirements while hunting squirrels from the first Friday in November after November 3rd through the end of the season. Hoosier hunters harvest approximately 300,000 fox squirrels annually​
    It is legal to hunt squirrels from a boat that is not under power derived from a motor. Fluorescent orange clothing is not required while hunting squirrels from a boat. Shooting into or disturbing leaf nests or squirrel dens is illegal at all times.
    DNR: Fox Squirrel

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Pros and Cons between Semi Auto and Bolt Action?

I plan on trying the "get there early and pop a squat" method. At least at first.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I would go with a 10/22. Cheap and accurate. A bolt is not going to provide you with anything extra for squirrel. Go out there and have some fun

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    It has been my experience that people that were raised around hunting under sell the amount of things to know. I would recommend taking someone up on a opportunity to go hunting with them. My father hunted as a kid A LOT, and while I've been an outdoors-man I mostly hiked, camped and the like. When I showed interest later in life he had a tough time coming up with "all the things to know" until actually going out in the woods and hunting with me. I quickly realized he had a TON of useful knowledge that just pouring out while in the field that he couldn't think of while we were just sitting at a table talking.

A lot of it was terrain, gun, game or season specific.
    Crossing a fence or rough terrain safely with a gun.
    Knowing the 4 rules and how that applies to hunting, how you position yourself (where you decide to hunker down and wait).
    The list is endless to someone who hasn't even dabbled before but the majority of it is so simple that it is second nature to seasoned hunters.

Granted you don't have to know everything before you go, but if you are someone who likes the act of learning as much as the activity you cannot beat the classroom and the chance to meet a possible long term friend that comes with going with someone.

:twocents:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    A coworker that squirrel hunts a lot says I should looking into .17HMR. His reason is that he has been frustrated with the variance in .22LR due to the mass production. He's had plenty of success with .22LR but has been frustrated with shots he's missed and feels she shouldn't. If he were to start fresh he would have gone with .17HMR. He's an engineer and loves to test and take data. He cites variances in .22LR shooting from a bench on rest.

Looking at Ruger's website, there are many models of the 10/22, which is best suited for small game hunting, and if I use a scope as mentioned how easy is it to mount and site in?

P.S. I am interested in the 10/22 as I am a bit of a Ruger fanboy. I love my P90 and P89.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I had an uncle that took me squirrel hunting. He always used a .22 Weatherby semi-auto (but he only needed one shot each), claimed taking them with a shotgun was not fair hunting plus sometimes buckshot would find it's way to the table and in to your mouth. First you need to look for a tree with "cuttings" underneath. Squirrels drop the telltale parts of nuts they don't eat. Find a comfortable place to sit and wait. You will likely hear them before you see them and just wait for a good shot.

He didn't prefer head shots because he liked eating the brains so he would take a lung shot if he didn't get a chance to "bark" it off a limb. If I hadn't witnessed this on more than on occasion I wouldn't have believed it. If the squirrel would come out a ways on a limb he would aim for the woof just under the squirrel and it would sort of knock the squirrel out more or less and he would walk over an give it a chicken style neck wringing.

I also saw one squirrel give him a pretty viscous bite when he grabbed it. I was about 10 or 11 at the time and I about busted a gut laughing and so did he.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I would recommend taking someone up on a opportunity to go hunting with them.

I'm open to this, unfortunately the only one that hunts in my family is my brother-in-law. He lives in Southern Illinois about 2 hours away, and he mostly focuses on deer hunting. He also has a very demanding job that requires shift-work and I know his hunting time is limited and cherished (my sister can attest to that). The good news, he owns land! I'm going to bring it up to him and see what he says, but I'm going to make plans to go at it alone reading as much as I can.

Last edited:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    He didn't prefer head shots because he liked eating the brains so he would take a lung shot if he didn't get a chance to "bark" it off a limb. If I hadn't witnessed this on more than on occasion I wouldn't have believed it. If the squirrel would come out a ways on a limb he would aim for the woof just under the squirrel and it would sort of knock the squirrel out more or less and he would walk over an give it a chicken style neck wringing.

I also saw one squirrel give him a pretty viscous bite when he grabbed it. I was about 10 or 11 at the time and I about busted a gut laughing and so did he.

I'm reading the book Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter, and he talks about "barking" them. I think he mentions a skull
    stomp rather than picking the dazed squirrel up.

And yes reading this book is what has motivated me into giving this a try. It's a good book. http://amzn.com/0385529813

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    I have hunted squirrels all my life with a 10/22..You might wanna spend the 30 bucks or so and upgrade with a few Volquartsen parts to lighten the trigger pull down and after that it's just sighting it in for 25 yards and putting time in the woods.Best bet if new as mentioned is to go in early,pop a squat and wait.Take your time get a good head shot and enjoy some squirrel dumplins the next day..
    Where are you located?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My best advice, set up a treestand, pretend to deer hunt, see more squirrels than you thought possible, shoot them.

This or figure out some way to get permission to hunt squirrel on a university campus. I could have killed 5 with 1 rock today in about 2 minutes. I've seen them run up to take Cheetos from under a table where people were sitting. These squirrels are quite brave but then again, it might have been a jalapeno cheddar cheese Cheeto so it was worth the risk, imo.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    This or figure out some way to get permission to hunt squirrel on a university campus. I could have killed 5 with 1 rock today in about 2 minutes. I've seen them run up to take Cheetos from under a table where people were sitting. These squirrels are quite brave but then again, it might have been a jalapeno cheddar cheese Cheeto so it was worth the risk, imo.

I've got a feeder on the tree in the middle of my front yard. After a week or two of them getting used to me I've got several that will come take a shelled peanut out of my hand.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I have hunted squirrels all my life with a 10/22..You might wanna spend the 30 bucks or so and upgrade with a few Volquartsen parts to lighten the trigger pull down and after that it's just sighting it in for 25 yards and putting time in the woods.Best bet if new as mentioned is to go in early,pop a squat and wait.Take your time get a good head shot and enjoy some squirrel dumplins the next day..
    Where are you located?

East side of Indy, Irvington area

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I've got a feeder on the tree in the middle of my front yard. After a week or two of them getting used to me I've got several that will come take a shelled peanut out of my hand.

I was kinda being serious about the whole treestand thing, when I deer hunt I see at least 5 squirrels everytime. I maybe see 2-3 when I'm actually squirrel hunting. You just have to convince them your deer hunting. ;)

As for your gun, I'm gonna say Savage MKII. For what they cost and as accurate as they are, they make the perfect squirrel gun. As long you have a good zero on your gun, you won't need a semi auto for follow up shots, but I've just always preffered bolt actions. Get what you want, not what some guy on the internet wants you to get, but don't leave out the MKII as an option.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I was kinda being serious about the whole treestand thing, when I deer hunt I see at least 5 squirrels everytime. I maybe see 2-3 when I'm actually squirrel hunting. You just have to convince them your deer hunting. ;)

As for your gun, I'm gonna say Savage MKII. For what they cost and as accurate as they are, they make the perfect squirrel gun. As long you have a good zero on your gun, you won't need a semi auto for follow up shots, but I've just always preffered bolt actions. Get what you want, not what some guy on the internet wants you to get, but don't leave out the MKII as an option.

That was one thing I liked about the squirrels when I was in my tree stand. If they were carrying on like normal, you knew you were being quiet enough. For the place I use to get to hunt, 5 squirrels deer hunting would be about the first 20 minutes. So much meat getting a free pass in those woods these days.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    I've had a 10/22 since I was a kid. Actually started hunting squirrels with my first gun - a Savage model 24 with a 22 barrel on top and a 410 on the bottom. Pretty slick squirrel gun - if you miss with the 22 you have a shotgun backup.

However, I now have a Savage 17HMR too and it is quite a gun. Just be aware it will be a lot more expensive to feed than a 22LR.

I'm less concerned with variance in the ammo, but I do like the flatter trajectory. I guess it depends on how far you are considering shooting, and if you want to worry about the range as much.

Be patient when trying to get a shot, and work on your marksman skills - always go for a head shot. Don't ruin any meat that way.

A coworker that squirrel hunts a lot says I should looking into .17HMR. His reason is that he has been frustrated with the variance in .22LR due to the mass production. He's had plenty of success with .22LR but has been frustrated with shots he's missed and feels she shouldn't. If he were to start fresh he would have gone with .17HMR. He's an engineer and loves to test and take data. He cites variances in .22LR shooting from a bench on rest.

Looking at Ruger's website, there are many models of the 10/22, which is best suited for small game hunting, and if I use a scope as mentioned how easy is it to mount and site in?

P.S. I am interested in the 10/22 as I am a bit of a Ruger fanboy. I love my P90 and P89.

Top Bottom