Yet another POSTIVE OC educational experience @ a Meijer!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Cliff's notes version: Made a quick stop in a Meijer to grab something I needed to make my wife, a relative, and myself breakfast (biscuits, gravy, and BACON!:rockwoot:) The manager?!? :dunno: (had a shirt and tie on) was stocking the meat department, saw my gun and sparked a conversation. Got to teach him about the laws regarding OC, about a local place to shoot (ECPR), and a little plug in for how valuable FOF training is. Also found out he has a LTCH. :rockwoot:

For those who don't mind reading;): I actually had today off (by which I mean no obligations outside of my home) so I decided I wanted to make a real breakfast. I needed some sausage though, so I had to make a quick run to a store. Walked into the Meijer and headed to the meat department. When I found the section containing sausage there was a man there in a shirt and tie finishing stocking a cart of product. I assumed he was a manager by his dress and he later mentioned he had been in this industy for many years, so I think it was a safe assumption. When I stepped next to him he asked "Is that a beretta?" I replied, "Yes, it is.":D

He then asked, "what model" at which point I was sort of :scratch: I said it was the 92 and when he replied he made it clear that he couldn't tell if it was a compact 92 or full size. I told him it was the FS and then we began talking about firearms, carrying, defense, etc. He asked about OC'ing and that he thought it was illegal. He even referred to the LTCH as a "concealed carry permit." At this point I explained that it wasn't actually a "concealed carry permit" but rather a LTCH and the state laws were silent on the method of carry making it perfectly legal to OC. He stated the same "excuse" that he still preferred to CC because he didn't want to "scare people," cause a panic, and/or get people called because he's had his employees call to him to tell him people had guns on them. I sort of :): at this because his reply to them was "is he pointing it at someone? Then don't worry about it." :rockwoot:

I then replied, "that's fine if that's what you prefer. I find OC'ing to be more comfortable and it gives people the opportunity to ask questions and become more educated, such as this." We continued to talk about various things. I gave him a quick plug for ECPR because it was a close and inexpensive place to take his pistol. He then asked about rifles (as most usually do) and I said they're not allowed there at this time but there are a couple other options.

He said that he was somewhat confident in being able to hit a target but when the tunnel vision sets in during a real life situation he doesn't know how he would do without being tested (more or less.) So then I mentioned a couple of opportunities available in the area for training for him and/or his wife. I told him of the importance of FOF training to help prepare him for exactly what he was concerned about.

The gentleman was able to learn about ECPR, places he can take his firearms, some various training opportunities in the area, it's legal to OC and SOME of the differences in why one might choose either CC or OC.
    All in all, it turned out to be a great experience. Yet another POSITIVE and friendly opportunity to educate another on firearms, training, their rights and the laws surrounding them... ALL thanks to OC!!! :yesway::yesway:

Then went home and had some biscuits, gravy, and BACON with the wife:rockwoot::rockwoot:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Cool story bro. :yesway:

I'd like to know more about the biscuits, gravy and BACON part. :D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Is this Avon? If so I have OC in there ALOT & never had anyone say anything about it. They even sold me ammo when I was OCing & we all know they can't do that. :D
    Indeed it was Avon. I've OC'd in there many times before too without a problem, but I try to make it a point to share my experiences when OC'ing whether good or bad. The good outnumber the bad, by FAR and this was the first experience in a Meijer.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

It's not often I have time to make an actual breakfast. When I woke up this morning I knew we didn't have any obligations to be anywhere, which is increasingly more rare lately and so I got a craving for some good ole' boy's breakfast. :D 15 minutes later I was ready for nap, LOL

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    As I had already rep'ed you. Great story, totally full of win. Glad you got to educate someone not only about the law, but about a great range in the area.
    Also, biscuits and gravy, with bacon, man, I could really go for a good breakfast like that, but most the places around here screw up the gravy, so its not as good as the stuff Ive had in the south.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If only all OC experiences would be like this one. I still havent got the courage to fully OC yet, but working up to it :D. Always good taking the time to educate the less informed :yesway:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Is this Avon? If so I have OC in there ALOT & never had anyone say anything about it. They even sold me ammo when I was OCing & we all know they can't do that. :D

Around 3 - 4 years ago I bought some ammo at Meijer in Avon. While checking out the male cashier attempted to berate me for buying ammo. It started off with him asking me why I was purchasing ammo, to which I replied it was for target practice. He then said you dont buy bullets for practice they are only for killing, blah blah blah. I stared him down until he shut up. Then left the store and contacted corporate about the incident. I never got a reply but the next week I saw the same cashier when I was checking out and purposely went through his line. He was completely silent. One thing about Meijer they are customer orientated. ;)

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.

OK, here is the real scoop...I had biscuits and gravy with bacon for supper at home half an hour ago. Those who think it's just for breakfast are amatures, kid! :cool:

As an aside...I was CC'ing during supper and my wife didn't mention it once. It was a good encounter. :):

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I visit the Meijer stores in Greenwood and Southport and Emerson on Indy's southside a couple of times a week. I love the open all the time hours.
    Out of at least dozens of visits I've never had the first negative experience on my OC there. Only a few positives also but mostly "a nod or a wink".
    I do choose where I spend my money and have no problems if Meijers is price competitive.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    As I had already rep'ed you. Great story, totally full of win. Glad you got to educate someone not only about the law, but about a great range in the area.
    Also, biscuits and gravy, with bacon, man, I could really go for a good breakfast like that, but most the places around here screw up the gravy, so its not as good as the stuff Ive had in the south.
    If you ever come to Indy, find Mann's Grill. :D As close to home made as a restaraunt gets.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    If you ever come to Indy, find Mann's Grill. :D As close to home made as a restaraunt gets.

haha, too funny, i was in Indy this weekend for training, just got back up to NWI. Well, when I am back in Indy (I HAVE to see the Indiana War Memorial again, so amazing) I will be sure to try and hit that up. Thanks. I have tried it a couple places, even the cracker barrel, have not liked any of them around here, surprisingly, the Army did those justice.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    haha, too funny, i was in Indy this weekend for training, just got back up to NWI. Well, when I am back in Indy (I HAVE to see the Indiana War Memorial again, so amazing) I will be sure to try and hit that up. Thanks. I have tried it a couple places, even the cracker barrel, have not liked any of them around here, surprisingly, the Army did those justice.
    Mann's is a little hole in the wall, mom and pop trucker's restaraunt. Order the "Man's breakfast" and you'll CERTAINLY get your $5 worth ;) I'd suggest you not order anything for at least ONE person with you.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Mann's is a little hole in the wall, mom and pop trucker's restaraunt. Order the "Man's breakfast" and you'll CERTAINLY get your $5 worth ;) I'd suggest you not order anything for at least ONE person with you.

I love hole in the wall, mom and pop places, they usually have the best food, and the atmosphere i love in restaurants. Well, next time Im in Indy, be sure to check it out.

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    I visit the Meijer stores in Greenwood and Southport and Emerson on Indy's southside a couple of times a week. I love the open all the time hours.
    Out of at least dozens of visits I've never had the first negative experience on my OC there. Only a few positives also but mostly "a nod or a wink".
    I do choose where I spend my money and have no problems if Meijers is price competitive.

Ditto. Have had nothing but good experienes in Southport; and it's close to home.

bart2278

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Great story thanks for sharing. On a side note where is this Mann's grill? I have heard good things outside of this thread.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom