• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think the NRA has some type of insurance for those that carry to help them make bail and even provide up to $xxxxx in civil cases as well as being able to recommend ATTYs in case you need them. I can't recall what the insurance is called or if it is only offered to NRA members.

A while back here some new member was posting about having some type of shield insurance for carrying as well. The member makes some rude comments to a MOD and was hammered. But I do recall that he left a link to his insurance.

In any case I'm wondering do any of you have "carry insurance" If so what kind? Any recommendations, links? Thanks?

The post about the dead burglar's family winning a civil cases in CO against the gun owner got me thinking about insurance again.

Thanks!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It's USCCA "Shield," and you'll see only two Indiana attorneys who are currently part of that program. ;)

Yes I think that was the one that the other member had. I don't see a list of ATTYs on that website? But then again I may not be looking right? From what I read the USCCA shield will give you an atty for any civil matter but on the criminal size you have to find the atty (the shield only helps pay for it).

The video did provide some good insight in the type of insurance no one per law is allowed to sell. It's hard for me to explain it but the video does a good job of explaining it and why it is the way it is.

From what I found on google it looks like the NRA and the USCCA sheild are really the only two that offer this type of program. Actually the USCCA uses this one actually from what I got on the video: MMD Brokers LLC - Firearm Insurance .

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Why would you need separate insurance? Your homeowners or other property insurance will cover you for liability issues provided you aren't found guilty of a crime in use of your firearm. It will also protect them from loss or mysterious disappearance should there be a loss of your firearm and its "scheduled" or listed as personal property. I'd rather only pay once insurance company not two.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Why would you need separate insurance? Your homeowners or other property insurance will cover you for liability issues provided you aren't found guilty of a crime in use of your firearm. It will also protect them from loss or mysterious disappearance should there be a loss of your firearm and its "scheduled" or listed as personal property. I'd rather only pay once insurance company not two.

Yes & No.

Most home owner policies have a clause that EXCLUDES coverage for injury/damage caused intentionally by the insured person. By you firing your firearm to defend yourself you have "intentionally" caused damage and your home owner's insurance won't help you.

See this article for more info:
    Own a gun? You may want self-defense insurance | InsuranceQuotes.com

Here is a case in Iowa (yes I know not Indiana but still the same concept)
    Act of self-defense precludes insurance coverage
    Here is a case in New York that follows the same as Iowa
    Homeowners Policies and Acts of Self-Defense

Furthermore if your home owner's policy does help you it will be on the civil side of things (ie. BG or family's BG suing you for shooting him while at your house). However on the criminal side you are on your own.

From what I have understood in reseraching this there is NO insurance that can cover you on the criminal side per say. Meaning you can't pay $10 a month to get $10,000 of insurance to cover criminal cost due to something about the way insurance law is written.

But what you can do with the self-defense isnurance is apply for a "grant" in which the provider can give you up to abc money to help you pay for the criminal side of the case IF AND ONLY IF you win the case. (ie. found to be not guility then you get the money which would help you pay your ATTY).

The other side of the coin is you are getting insurance for civil matters. Ie if you lose the civil suit for shooting a BG in your house and have to pay say $50,000 how are you going to pay for that? Well with the self defense inruance there are various levels of payout.

Lastly from the 2 to 3 sources that I have found that deal with this type of insurance they also have a network of ATTYs in your area that know the gun laws and practice in this subject and can be hired or are part of the program.

---
    On the note of theif/disappearnce you may want to check with your home owners policy rep. Yes firearms are listed under the general (ie. basic) schedule as personal property but only up a certain limit & you still have to meet the deductible. So say you have $5,000 in firearms but if your personal property limit on your homeowners is only $3,000 and all your firearms are lost (stolen, burned in the fire) then guess what you just lost out on $2,000 worth of them.

Plus say only your AR gets stolen at a value of $1100. Well your covered under your home owners insurance but if you have a deductible of say $1000 then all you are going to get is $100 from your policy! :(

There is an option to put your firearms on a personal property rider (PPR). This is an add-on to your home owners policy and you will need to send a detailed list of all your firearms (make, model, serial #), pictures, and market value. You get to set how much the PPR is for and the deductibale level. (ie. no deductible, low, medium, high deductible).

Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc. is a great place to go... also check out a massad ayoob lecture. you get massad as an expert defense witness if you are involved in a shooting in self defense.. here is an attorney in nwi area that is a progun cc attorney involved with the armed citizens network...

Douglas C. McMillan
    219-464-9191
    DCM@mcmillanlegal.com

Thanks for the info on the local atty. Have you used him before?
    I have these 2 in my phone book since I have heard they do criminal cases.

Dale Allen
    1-219-462-3998
    and
    Larry Rogers
    1-219-762-9538

Have never used them or talked to them.

I hope I never, ever have to use an ATTY or be in a situtation like the ones above. But if I did I know who I want my ATTY to be and I'm willing to wait in the cell a few days for him to arrive if need be.

---
    I only found 4 groups that deal with this type of stuff.
    Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc.
    $85/yr + $50/yr for additional household members
    $225/3 yrs or $650/10 yrs

$10K fee deposit for felnoy criminal charges for atty you hire
    $5K fee deposit to misdemeanor crimibal charges for atty you hire

from their website
    Network members are also eligible for additional grants of financial assistance from the Network's legal defense fund if they face unmeritorious prosecution or civil action after a self-defense incident occuring during their period of membership. :dunno: Does not has how much.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/self-defense-shield/upgrade.asp

Silver
    $50K civil / $25K criminal liability
    Up to $25K for criminal defense grant
    $127/yr or 4 monthly payments of $37 ($148 total)

Gold
    $100K civil / $50K criminal liability
    Up to $50K for criminal defense grant
    $197/yr or 4 monthly payments of $57 ($228 total)

Platinum
    $300K civil / $75K criminal liability
    Up to $75K for criminal defense grant
    $297/yr or 4 monthly payments of $77 ($308 total)

This policy covers you anywhere and inside your house the policy covers your entire family! (ie. your spouses used firearm inside the house she is covered by your policy)

NRA Endorsed Insurance Program Self-Defense Liability Coverage
    REQUIRES NRA MEMBERSHIP; $35 for 1 year
    $100K limit / $50K criminal defense
    $165/yr

$250K limit/ $50K criminal defense
    $254/yr

Includes Excess Personal Liability coverage as well the self-defense is a rider to the first. Note this insurance is made out to you IN YOUR NAME where as the others you are in a pool of beneficaries but you donot own the policy.

MMD Brokers LLC - Firearm Insurance
    (this last one does not have any coverage in IN)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I think the USCCA shield may be the best route to go at either the GOLD/PLATNIUM level. In terms of cost it's .25 per $1 of coverage at either of those two levels.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Remember, this only helps if you have to use your firearm. Some people have asked me what my costs were for the St. John thing, but I wasn't charged with anything firearms related the insurance would not have helped me.
    I'm not saying it's not a good value, but pointing out some possible limitations.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Remember, this only helps if you have to use your firearm. Some people have asked me what my costs were for the St. John thing, but I wasn't charged with anything firearms related the insurance would not have helped me.
    I'm not saying it's not a good value, but pointing out some possible limitations.

Well then you should have pulled out your gun. Total FAIL on your part. :faint:

On a serious note this is from the FAQ of the shield one.
    What if a Self-Defense SHIELD member is involved in a court case involving his or her firearm, but is NOT related to self-defense?
    Only the core layer is limited to “self-defense firearm use only”. The other layers, our USCCA Legal Defense Foundation, Inc., can award grant money any time we decide that it’s appropriate. For example, we’ve already used USCCA Legal Defense Foundation money to help out a USCCA Member who was wrongfully charged with the illegal possession of a firearm in New York City’s LaGuardia International Airport.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom