• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    So I've paid the cable company a ton of money, and just saw that part of what I get for that is the Outdoor Channel. They had a show on the other night called 3 Gun Nation - which basically taped the country's best 3-gun shooters winning prize money. It was awesome.

I am curious to know if any such competition happens around here? Secondly, is there a version that uses a simpler course of fire that would allow a guy without a heavily modified shotgun, $5000 race pistol, and sponsorship providing 1,000s of rounds of ammo to have some fun? I think I have a semi-auto rifle that may be ok as-is, though its not as high-brow as theirs.

-Brian

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    The series just wrapped up for the year, however next year bring out what you have and try a match. The primary idea to start is be safe have fun and learn.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Here in NWI we have a few choices that do not involve driving very far. North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton hosts a few three gun matches a year. They also do some matches that are similar in setup as three gun, such as the practical shotgun match that was on Sunday. A little further out, there is Bend Of The River Conservation Club in Niles, MI. This is a very nice range and has a match once a month starting again in April. If you are interested in shooting matches like these I would recommend checking out NPCCC for steel plates. It is a good way to get the basics of shooting some of these matches and its pretty fun. Steel plate matches require no movement from the shooting box and it is all pistol. This can be centerfire or rimfire. You can also check into one of the IDPA or USPSA matches that many local clubs host on a monthly basis. NPCCC and BORCC both host IDPA and USPSA matches and Michigan City Rifle Club hosts Wednesday night pistol matches. Check out some of these local matches and you will meet some good people who can walk with you through your first time.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Wildcat Valley near Brookston also has 3-gun matches. http://www.wvrpc.org/

Don't get caught up too much in the equipment. Just bring what you have and enjoy yourself. For 3-gun and tactical shotgun matches, I use an 870 I got for hunting when I was young (> 40 years ago). I put on a Blackhawk collapsible stock for adjustability and a longer mag tube. It works great and no large investment. I have used revolvers in the 3-gun and steel plate matches, because I like revolvers. 3-gun has different classes and shooting with a pump shotgun or other stock guns won't have you competing in the same class as open shooters with their high dollar guns. The idea is to be safe, have fun, and learn a new sport. If you decide later you want to get specialized equipment, go for it. If not, use what you have and get proficient with it. That's a good way to practice and familiarize yourself with your carry gun.

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    So I've paid the cable company a ton of money, and just saw that part of what I get for that is the Outdoor Channel. They had a show on the other night called 3 Gun Nation - which basically taped the country's best 3-gun shooters winning prize money. It was awesome.

I am curious to know if any such competition happens around here? Secondly, is there a version that uses a simpler course of fire that would allow a guy without a heavily modified shotgun, $5000 race pistol, and sponsorship providing 1,000s of rounds of ammo to have some fun? I think I have a semi-auto rifle that may be ok as-is, though its not as high-brow as theirs.

-Brian

INMG is a great source to find local matches. We will be posting our 2014 schedule in the next couple of weeks once it is finalized. As of right now, Wildcat is probably your closest range but they may change for 2014.

You do not have to spend big money to shoot. In fact a great shooter with "cheap" gear will beat an average shooter with top of the line gear every day. As long as it is safe, almost any shotgun, rifle and pistol will do. I started out with a stock Glock 19, a 5 shot Mossberg 500 with wood furniture and my HD/SHTF AR with a red dot. I've seen AKs, SKSs, iron sights, 4/5 shot shotguns, $150 Chinese made shotguns, and even a revolver being used for MG. The key to being a top competitor isn't necessarily the gear, it's the ability of the shooter, practice makes perfect. To compete at the top levels though, prepare to spend some money but only to a point.

Our match ammo requirements last season was typically 50 birdshot, 5 slugs, 60 rifle and 60 pistol, we recommend you bring double that amount.

Thanks

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Great to know, and Chesteron is not that far from here. I have an 870 with either an 18" IC barrel, or a 28" interchangable choke barrel, and a +2 mag extension (does that make it 7 rds? I cant recall), and AR, and a couple of pistols I could use. I'll have to try and check it out. I can barely remember the last time I shot the shotgun. Might need to find a place to practice.....

-Brian

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    The NPCCC is a good place to shoot, a lot of new shooters every time. I try to make any matches they have. The Niles club is great i really like to shoot there they have a great bunch of guys. The Indiana Multigun involves a little travel but it is worth it. Again get out and shoot anything you have be safe and gain experience.

Top Bottom