Shotgun pistol grip only conversion, legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've heard a lot about converting pistols in to SBR's requires registration, etc. I'm not 100% on gun conversions and what is and is not legal.

I stopped by Plainfield shooting supplies for the first time to look around and walked out with a couple goodies. I took my Winchester 1300 defender, removed the stock and replaced it with a pistol grip only (no shoulder stock) for under the bed.

I assume this is legal? Or did I just make a Long Barreled Pistol or some weird terminology? Silly question, but just want to be 100% I'm in the clear

Thanks!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I believe you are ok as long as the barrel is no shorter than 18" AND the overall length is no shorter than 26". If you do not meet these requirements then you just made yourself a SBS which is always illegal in Indiana.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I believe you are ok as long as the barrel is no shorter than 18" AND the overall length is no shorter than 26". If you do not meet these requirements then you just made yourself a SBS which is always illegal in Indiana.

It's an 18" barrel and 28" overall. Close as it gets! :D thanks

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I've heard a lot about converting pistols in to SBR's requires registration, etc. I'm not 100% on gun conversions and what is and is not legal.

I stopped by Plainfield shooting supplies for the first time to look around and walked out with a couple goodies. I took my Winchester 1300 defender, removed the stock and replaced it with a pistol grip only (no shoulder stock) for under the bed.

I assume this is legal? Or did I just make a Long Barreled Pistol or some weird terminology? Silly question, but just want to be 100% I'm in the clear

Thanks!

I could be wrong here....but I think if you put a pistol grip on a shotgun it falls under handgun laws if you take it out of your home. In other words you have to have your handgun carry license to carry or transport it in public. I'm sure someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong. :dunno:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Citation?

It falls under the federal definition of handgun. It cannot be a shotgun technically, because it doesn't have a shoulder stock. By definition, a shotgun is a shoulder fired firearm. It is a handgun by default, thus it is covered by handgun law, ie: no carry without a permit...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Here's where the "gray" area comes into play. Just because I put a pistol grip on my 12ga does not mean it is "designed or adapted to be fired with one hand", there is no way I am going to use it as a one handed weapon.
    If you read the second requirement it states a barrel length of less than 16 inches OR an overall length of less than 26 inches is classified as a handgun.

So a pistol grip shotgun with a overall length of 26" with an 18" barrel is a legal firearm that does not require a LTCH to transport off your property.
    This only MY interpretation of the law.

This has been ruled on in court and lost. See the post before yours for the actual case.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    So if that makes it fall under handgun law how can it be designated as a SBS as well? Seems like you're screwed 2 ways. Thanks congress.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    So if that makes it fall under handgun law how can it be designated as a SBS as well? Seems like you're screwed 2 ways. Thanks congress.

From the little bit of info that I have read the SBS fall under smooth bore pistols in Indiana. I could be wrong, just the info I got in casual conversations.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So if that makes it fall under handgun law how can it be designated as a SBS as well?

SBS and AOW are *federal* definitions, and a pistol-gripped shotgun with a barrel of 18"+ and an OAL of 26"+ is neither of those, nor does it fall under the federal definition of "handgun".

The first clause of Indiana's (i.e. state law) definition of "handgun" has been ruled to include such shotguns, which is where things get a little convoluted. That's why Cruiser-type shotguns transfer out as a handgun, can't be sold by a dealer to anyone under 21, and why you need your LTCH to have one in the car. As I understand it, you'd need your LTCH to carry a Serbu Super Shorty AOW on your person or in your vehicle, as well, as it too falls under "designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length," regardless of its federal classification.

My :twocents:

Last edited:

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Thanks for all the the info everyone! I know you can buy a cruiser style mossberg, just wasn't sure how it was classified. I'm going to have to get another for my trunk. Glock 17 on my hip can only take out so many zombies.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Because it hasn't been posted yet...
    milla_jovovich_resident_evil_apocalypse_japan_03.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I owned a pistol grip 20 gage Mossy Persuader. It was given to me by my Dad, but shortly given back. It freaking rocked my wrist, and I really saw no point of owning it. However I think it's a stupid law. I mean you would have to be a moron, to hold a PG shotty one handed. "Unless you are a Hollywood actor/actress". Especially a 12 gage. Yes they are easier to conceal, but it's not like I would carry one IWB. At the time I owned it, which has been a while. I called the State Police, to make sure even though I had my permit. They quoted me the law, but it's been to long ago. I do know for a fact, one can not be sold to a person under the age of 21. So it would fall under the category, of a handgun!

Top Bottom