• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I'm thinking I want to get an autoloader this year and I think I've narrowed my choices to one of these two .

Does anyone have experience with these and what are the pros and cons ?

Are they reliable as my 500 pump ?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The Saiga will change your entire approach to shotguns; much of what you might have learned about manipulations will go right out the window, and you won't want to go back to a tube gun ever again. The Saiga-12 is essentially a big rifle, and demands to be run as such. With a Saiga, there is no such thing as "shoot one, load one," "select slug," or speed reloading by shoving a single round in through the ejection port; all of these drills are replaced by a single solution – change magazines!

If you want a semi-auto but are more interested in something that maintains a fairly similar manual of arms to your Model 500, get the 930SPX. The ones I've seen firsthand have all run well.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I was in your same shoes a while back. I ended up getting the 930 spx. I figured if I got a siaga I would end up dumping too much money into it with converting it etc.

I love my 930 spx and it runs like a top. My boss also got one recently and it runs 100%. Another co-worker recently bought a saiga and it is not running 100% yet but perhaps it will brake in.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Thanks for the info guys . :yesway:

I think now I'm leaning toward a Saiga cause I like the rifle aspects of it more than traditional shotguns , also I think I'd enjoy converting it .

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think now I'm leaning toward a Saiga cause I like the rifle aspects of it more than traditional shotguns

I've got several AKs, so the transition was a very natural one - especially for my wife, who rocks the AK but would never devote the time/energy to training with a traditional tube-fed shotgun.

The biggest issue with the Saiga is that the mags are big and bulky (especially the 8-10+ capacity ones), and coming up with ways to effectively carry them can be challenging. It's a little easier with a tube gun, where you can mount a side saddle, butt cuff, or just drop loose rounds into a cargo pocket or dump pouch.

Last edited:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The biggest issue with the Saiga is that the mags are big and bulky (especially the 8-10+ capacity ones), and coming up with ways to effectively carry them can be challenging..

Somebody makes a carry rig for them right ? How about the drums ?

If not I could probably improvise / adapt something to make it work .

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Somebody makes a carry rig for them right ?

There are options out there; just saying that carrying extra ammo requires a little more forethought and equipment for the Saiga-12 than it does for tube guns.

How about the drums ?

They're crowd pleasers and chick magnets (just ask bigcraig), but are bulky, heavy and have no place in a defensive application, IMO. There is a vendor out there that makes a specialized carry pouch just for them, or you can improvise with a claymore bag or something like that.

50bmgshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    Greenfield
    i have the saiga. put a tapco pistol grip stock, SGM tri rail forend and brake, and just put an AK scope mount and a reflex red dot on it. its a great gun, and very fun. i love it

Top Bottom