• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    I want to buy a Saiga 12, it will be my next purchase. But a naked one looks kinda boring. I want to know everyones opinions that owns one or has handled one.

How do they shoot? Can they shoot 3" shells? Can they shoot slugs? I know very little about them. :dunno:Also, what all modifications can you do to them. I wondered about a laser and flashlight, tactical stock, and so on.

So for all you experts out there let me know what you think. Dont be afraid to share some pictures of your Saiga either! Thanks:rockwoot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Oh sh**, my "Saiga-12 pager" went off. :D I wear it right next to my Glock pager and my AR pager. ;)

I want to know everyones opinions that owns one or has handled one.

Several years ago, I owned a Remington 11-87 Police. I bought a Saiga-12 on a whim, and because at the time, they were stupid cheap. I mucked around with it for awhile, then in 2005, I took a 2-day shotgun course. I shot the 11-87 on Day 1, and the Saiga on Day 2. When I came home, I sold the Remington, bought a second Saiga-12, and have never looked back. :yesway:

How do they shoot?

Very well. The action is potentially faster than just about anything else out there, but it requires conversion to an AK format (and a decent trigger) to get the best performance out of it. Patterns out of the 19" cylinder bore barrel are comparable to other shotguns of a similar configuration (and, as with all shotguns, are highly load-dependent). Perceived recoil is lighter than just about any other 12ga I've shot.

Can they shoot 3" shells?

Yes.

Can they shoot slugs?

Yes, assuming the barrel is an open choke (I believe there were some fixed full choke models imported by EAA back in the day, but the vast majority are cylinder bore).

I know very little about them.

My review (which is a bit dated but still should be informative):
    Saiga-12 Shotgun Review

Also, what all modifications can you do to them. I wondered about a laser and flashlight, tactical stock, and so on.

The best mod you can do is to convert it (or have it converted) into a more traditional AK pattern (pistol grip, standard stock, relocated trigger group). This improves the ergonomics and handling of the gun, and allows you to use any of the excellent AK trigger groups on the market (Tapco, Red Star, KVAR, etc). Everything else you mention is possible as well; an entire cottage industry has grown up around optimizing the Saigas.

Dont be afraid to share some pictures of your Saiga either!

The Big Russian Hammer:
    saiga_side.jpg

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Did you know the exclusive American importer of Saigas is in Scottsburg, Indiana?

No, you can't buy one from them, they are just the importer. But, every gun that comes to the US goes thru their warehouse in Scottsburg.

Talk about supporting the local economy, I guess we should all buy one.;)

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    My Saiga12 pager went off! I also keep mine next to my Glock pager and AR pager, go figure. ;)

Shooter521 has MUCH more experience with the Saiga12, in fact, his gun was the final breaking point when I was considering buying one.

Shooter also answered all of your questions, I see.

So........on with the gun pron!

This is my (Red Jacket Built) Russian Hammer.
    news12pics_003.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    See, I thought about buying one when they were dirt cheap. I didn't have the money then. Now, I don't have the money, but I wish I'd gotten one when they were dirt cheap.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    wow...haha, i definately need to get myself a russian hammer!! Thanks for all the info Shooter521. Sounds like you know a little bit about Saigas hah! Now i just need to find one thats cheaper than $500...because i know im going to spend almost another $500 on it!

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yeah, my thoughts are that I sure missed the boat on getting one of these a few years ago when they were cheap! Dang it, hindsight sucks at times.

Anyway, they are awesome and I missed the good deals. Plus, some people have them and they show pictures and make me jealous. :D

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I love them and the wholesaler called yesterday. I am supposed to have 2 coming in the shop next week.
    Not only can you pimp them out as above but before you could hunt with Carbines in Indiana these were great for getting more then 3 shots with a shot gun. I had some feeding problems with the .410 but the 12 ga has been great.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Out of curiosity, how much were they when they were "dirt cheap" years ago? I bought one and paid $499 a couple months ago.

I happened to come across those receipts a few months back... I paid under $300 for each of mine, 1 bought new in 2002, the other bought used in 2005.

Once upon a time, CDNN had them on closeout for around $200, IIRC. :eek:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    WHAT?! That IS dirt cheap, i wish i could run across one of those deals! Is there any FFL that sells them cheaper than all the other places? I have looked and everyone is between $550 and $600.

From CDNN, circa 2001:
    post-10664-1232502617.jpg
    :crying:

IIRC, it was in 2003 that CDNN was blowing out the Saiga-12s for $199.99. Shortly thereafter, EAA dropped the import rights to the Saiga line. Their fate was in limbo for awhile, until RAAC was formed and the guns started coming in again around 2006.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . .

About how much would one have to spend on 27MAR09 to acquire a fully functional Saiga 12ga configured with a pistol grip and AK or AR buttstock?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So . . .

About how much would one have to spend on 27MAR09 to acquire a fully functional Saiga 12ga configured with a pistol grip and AK or AR buttstock?

At least $1000 +/-, depending on the level of the conversion's sophistication. More like $1200-1500+ if you want one by a "name" 'smith like Tromix or Red Jacket.

DIY may not be as pretty, but it's a helluva lot cheaper.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    To add to Marks post, DIY conversions are getting whole lot easier. There has been an influx of companies making "bolt on" conversion parts.

Go hit the Saiga forum and do a lot of reading.

eta: My S12 cost me $1100 from Red Jacket. But that is OLD pricing.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like I've missed the bus on the Saiga 12ga. There's not a chance in hell I'll pay that much for one. So now I'll wave buh-bye as it recedes into inflationary oblivion.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom