• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    Just got back from the range with my 597, last night I polished the Volquartsen trigger as well as a "free float" modification that has increased my groups tighter than I could imagine, Now im still messin with this factory optic for another week but it has served me well at the 55yd mark

Before Volquartsen polish and free float modification, 55 yd
    IMAG0411.jpg

After hammer polish and free float mod, Im gettin stackers as well as excellent grouping at 55-60 I really feel that the free float mod was a success to the enchance performance im now getting with this rifle, Im going to bed the hollow channeled stock with heavy bondo,etc as well as purchase a new clearer optic.

40gr thunderbolt 55 yds

a nice set of 3 here
    IMAG0436.jpg

2 stackers one stray***shooter error on this one
    IMAG0437.jpg

another nice set of 3

IMAG0438.jpg

Now who has some nice glass for sale!,

Can anyone reccomend a good epoxy/bondo that has weight or any ideas to how i can can add more weight to the stock, there are channels inside the stock under the front that were part of the mold, perhaps a bondo/aluminum powder mix?
    IMAG0370.jpg

Last edited:

Eric70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Covington
    Bought my son a 597, so far it would be impossible to shoot groups with it considering it stovepipes every other round. Very disappointed in it.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

What is a "free float" mod?

What brand/model is your bi-pod?

I have a nice 597 and I'd like to improve it's accuracy like what you've done here. :)

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    Free float mod, I found on rimfire central, The 597 is advertised as a freefloat stock but its far from it, to make it correct follow this

here:rockwoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv6E8RCLrO8
    Bi-pod, im not sure, Harris perhaps?

The misfire ftf's can be solved

Tweek blowback rods down then loosen 1/4 turn "very important, you will know if they are too tight or too loose, it wont hit primers, FTE will happen

polish blowback rods
    also dont use too much greese/ oil on the rods.
    try Volquartsen extractor if you continue to have FTE problems
    purchase a Volquartsen Target hammer then take it to polish.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    This weeks groupins!

Took the 597 out again over the weekend after a few more tweeks,
    look at these triple stackers at 55 :rockwoot:

IMAG0454.jpg

IMAG0455.jpg

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    For added weight, could you put lead in the channels in the forearm? Then bondo over?
    When I bedded My Savage, I used JB Weld. I think I used a tutorial off of Savage shooters. They recommended using Play-dough to fill any holes you want to keep the bedding material out of. They had a couple of different ideas for a release agent. Clear shoe polish, Vaseoline(I think) and a few others.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I used to use Dexter Hysol Epoxy Patch aluminum filled epoxy for synth stock bedding and filling of forend hollows.
    Last couple of synth stocks I just filled the forend hollows (Savage and Remington) used the big tubes of JB Weld from Autozone.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    The misfire ftf's can be solved

The problem with the 597 is the design of these blowback rods that assist the action to cycle and chamber another round, if these rods are adjusted to tight or to loose the action will result in multiple FTF's in one single mag, Im silly over the performance of this rifle, Minus the blow back design, the groupings I can achieve are very respectable.

Multiple complaints were lodged and Remington solution was this below,minus the Volquartsen upgrade.

Tweek blowback rods down then loosen 1/4 turn "very important, you will know if they are too tight or too loose, it wont hit primers, FTE will happen

polish blowback rods
    also don't use too much grease/ oil on the rods.
    try Volquartsen extractor if you continue to have FTE problems
    purchase a Volquartsen Target hammer then take it to polish.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    bedding my 597

Im no expert, did some research and went off on my own, please dont clown to hard:):

I had dense steel ingots made to fit center within the stocks "channels", then I used a nice pliable/sculpturing clay to bed, Its super denser than Bondo and will not harden, "its removable" but will never change its "state" I pressed the clay deep into the channels, filling every square mm burying the ingots flush and center.

I thought a nice spray of some durable, black texturing/grip and Cerakote Flat Black was necessary as well.

I believe the added weight, trigger upgrades and free float mod made this a very nice inexpensive tack driver to have in my collection.
    IMO If you come up on one cheap, picker up.

To bad the darn thing went up in the big one of 2012 :(

IMAG0051_zps767a8ea9.jpg

Last edited:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I have always liked the look of the 597 and to hear that it performs like that is a bonus.

I might just have to give up my 10-22. ;)

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    There are few true gyms out there in firearms and the Rem 597 is one of them. Learn from those who have done it on RimfireCentral and you will have a very nice shooting semi-auto .22 LR regardless of its original configuration.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There are few true gems out there in firearms, and the Rem 597 is one of them. Learn from those who have done it on RimfireCentral and you will have a very nice shooting semi-auto .22 LR regardless of its original configuration.

FIFY.

Yeah, I'm slow and it took me a while.

Top Bottom