My second annual trip to the CMP Store South...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    This was my second annual trip to the CMP Store in Anniston, AL. Last year, I scored two really nice M1 Garands: a like new HRA and a rare "WIN-13" Winchester.

Here is that link: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/146004-cmp_south_store.html

A visit to the CMP Store with less than $800 of disposable cash in the bank is mighty painful!

They had a really nice assortment of rifles. They had the usual assortment of M1s. I found a really nice field grade Win-13(…Winchester’s last run of M1s) with a gorgeous new walnut stock. At first, I thought it was a service grade that was misplaced; but, nope it was priced at the field grade price of $595. Dang! I had to put it back!

They also had a lot more Krags(…the standard US rifle in 1898) and M1917s than they did when I visited last year. Since the Model of 1917 is at the top of my wish list and since I bought two M1s last year and since I had a pretty limited budget, I spent about an hour going through the rack grade Model of 1917 rack.

Although, most of the 1917s were not head spaced and had shot out barrels; there were a hand full of them with some shooting left. Okay, I know I've been telling myself this was an 'ammo & bayonet only' visit. I know I'm a liar!

I put a nice 1917 Eddystone behind the counter. I found the rifle in the 'rack grade' section where most of the rifles either failed headspacing or had shot out barrels. It was marked 'headspace okay' and 'MW +1'. Although the undated barrel marked "HS"(High Standard) was very, very dirty, I could see rifling through the crud. I was hoping has some life left under all that grime & gunk. The price was $400.

Although I mainly collect WWII rifles, the M1917 has been on my wish list for a while. My grandfather, Conley Stephens carried one of these in WWI. He was wounded by shrapnel and then poison gas in The Meuse-Argonne offensive during the Fall of 1918.

This must have been one of the many M1917s they refurbished during WWII. I am assuming that the cartouche, 3 GM - K in a rectangular box will indicate where and approximately when the refurb occurred. It must have also served in an American Legion Color Guard because "Am Leg" is painted on the left hand side of the butt stock. After doing a little research(...which is really half the fun of collecting these old rifles), I've found it was manufactured in October of 1918 and apparently the cartouche 3 GM - K in a rectangular box, is a big mystery. The best theory is that it is General Motors Guide Lamp Division which was given a contract to refurbish 45,000 rifles in 1943. Hmmm...maybe this isn't the first time this particular rifle has visited Indiana.

Before and during World War II, stored rifles were reconditioned for use as reserve, training and Lend-Lease weapons; these rifles are identified by sandblasted and Parkerized metal. They were sent Britain for use by the Home Guard, the Nationalist Chinese forces, the indigenous forces in the China-Burma-India theater, to the Filipino guerrilla forces, the Free French Army, the Local Defense Force of the Irish Army, Denmark and Norway.

Well after a little scrubbing and lots of patches, the barrel isn't too bad. There is some frosting in the barrel; but, the lands and grooves are sharp. I have never seen so much crud which(...I guess) represents 20 plus years of firing blanks without being cleaned.

I'm happy! It is a great shooter!

M1917M1903-20120514-08EddyBayonet.jpg

Out for its first shoot...

M1917M1903-20120514-02HSBarrelClose.jpg

A WWII High Standard replacement barrel...

M1917201205-06.jpg

When Remington contracted to build the Enfield Model of 1914 for England, they subcontracted the manufacture of the Model 1914 and later the Model of 1917(…basically the Model of 1914 in 30-06 instead of British .303) to The Baldwin Locomotive Factory at Eddystone, PA. I read at one point in 1918 this facility was building in excess of 6000 rifles a day.

M1917201205-07.jpg

The mysterious cartouche...

M1917M1903-20120514-01SideBySide.jpg

It makes a fine companion for the other WWII bolt gun, my Smith Corona Model of 1903A3...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice find! I'd love to go down to the South Store sometime. Went to the North Store to get my Garand (which is going back to the South Store to be exchanged :(). They mainly had Garands there. I saw a couple of Krags but they weren't in shooting condition. Looks like you found a diamond in the rough! :yesway:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Im under the impression that with a passport and my LTCH I would be able to go and get a garand or 2. Can any of you confirm this?

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Im under the impression that with a passport and my LTCH I would be able to go and get a garand or 2. Can any of you confirm this?

"CMP has four requirements for purchase: age over 18, US citizenship, firearms related activity, and membership in a CMP affiliated organization. You can go to our website, http://www.thecmp.org to the eligibility requirements section to see what is acceptable as proof of each requirement."

I think the LTCH counts for the 'firearms related activity'. I think you'll still need 'membership in a CMP affiliated organization' I belong to the Garand Collector's Association; but, there are other options...I think the RWVA, VFW, American Legion works...

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "CMP has four requirements for purchase: age over 18, US citizenship, firearms related activity, and membership in a CMP affiliated organization. You can go to our website, Civilian Marksmanship Program to the eligibility requirements section to see what is acceptable as proof of each requirement."

I think the LTCH counts for the 'firearms related activity'. I think you'll still need 'membership in a CMP affiliated organization' I belong to the Garand Collector's Association; but, there are other options...I think the RWVA, VFW, American Legion works...

From another thread, "Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association is also a good way to meet the requirement to belong to a CMP affiliated organization."

I joined the Garand Collector's Association myself. 25 bucks for a 1 year membership.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Nice lookin rifles guys. The wood on that Garand is awesome! I only have one 1917, a Winchester with a Winchester bayonet, but it is all matching and very clean. Have never shot it but I suppose it probably shoots like my 03s and 03A3s. We need to get a Garand, 03/03A3 and 1917 shoot organized sometime. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Correct it is one of the refurbished Special Grades. I'm not concerned with having a collectable, wanted a good looking Springfield Armory.
    Well you definitely got one! Some of the stocks on the Special Grades that I saw at the North Store had an orange-ish tint to them, but that stock on yours is gorgeous. :yesway:

Top Bottom