• ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Depends on what kind of "74" you want.

Your least amount invested would be to buy a Saiga and convert the rear end. You'd have under $475 in it. But the front end wouldn't be converted.

Atlantic sells a Saiga with a converted front end too. Once you convert the rear end you would be sitting at around $600.

Atlantic also sells some IAC's and Waffen Werks for under $650.

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    Depends on what kind of "74" you want.

Your least amount invested would be to buy a Saiga and convert the rear end. You'd have under $475 in it. But the front end wouldn't be converted.

Atlantic sells a Saiga with a converted front end too. Once you convert the rear end you would be sitting at around $600.

Atlantic also sells some IAC's and Waffen Werks for under $650.

what is converting the front end and the rear end? what is the front end and rear end?
    I take it the rear end is adding a pistol grip?

also do ak47 stocks fit 74s?

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN

I take it this is one that has the back but not the front converted?

what is the advantage of changing the front?

how hard is it to convert it to take the 30 round mags?

badmac183

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 25, 2011
    hamlet, IN
    I don't, sorry. Here's a link to a priced out one, just to give you an example.

WASR-2 AK74
    I believe Centerfire has Polish Tantals for $399 plus shipping.. Don't know much about them though.

Oh im sorry, im not really interested in ordering a gun off the internet or buying it in a shop. I just want to know what to look for when I see one for sale.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also: Be very very very wary of any of the Century -74s and the Tantals.

A great many of them were re-built with 5.56 diameter barrels and not 5.45 barrels. There are several documented cases of severe keyholing of the bullets due to CAI's barrel misuse. And, of course, the warranty that CAI puts on their rifles starts when the rifle leaves THEIR shop; not when you buy it. Also, it's just a 1-year warranty. If a rifle sat at a distributor for six months, then on a shop shelf (or another residence) for 4 months before you buy it... You only have 2 months warranty left. That's not a lot of time, especially if you're hurting for range time as it is (like me)

If it were me, I'd only buy a CAI product if I could handle it and shoot it first.

Other than that, you can get into a VERY good WaffenWerks-built Bulgarian AK-74 for $650-ish via 21st Century Guns in Bluffton.

-J-

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Also: Be very very very wary of any of the Century -74s and the Tantals.

A great many of them were re-built with 5.56 diameter barrels and not 5.45 barrels. There are several documented cases of severe keyholing of the bullets due to CAI's barrel misuse. And, of course, the warranty that CAI puts on their rifles starts when the rifle leaves THEIR shop; not when you buy it. Also, it's just a 1-year warranty. If a rifle sat at a distributor for six months, then on a shop shelf (or another residence) for 4 months before you buy it... You only have 2 months warranty left. That's not a lot of time, especially if you're hurting for range time as it is (like me)

If it were me, I'd only buy a CAI product if I could handle it and shoot it first.

Other than that, you can get into a VERY good WaffenWerks-built Bulgarian AK-74 for $650-ish via 21st Century Guns in Bluffton.

-J-

Agree on handling one first! I did have one of the CAI 74's built on a nodak spud reciever. That thing shot great, not a single issue. I would have kept it but I decided I didn't need aks with 2 calibers in my safe. It shot really well and functioned 100% FWIW. :twocents: Nothing wrong with getting a Waffen Works for not a whole lot more either.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I take it this is one that has the back but not the front converted?

what is the advantage of changing the front?

how hard is it to convert it to take the 30 round mags?

Yes, that is a Saiga with a converted back end. As to advantage of not changing the front ... nothing really. Just all in how you want your "74" configured. I wanted mine to be a true 74, so I did a 100% conversion. Over $750 invested when I was done, but it is what I wanted in my gun.

The Saiga in 5.45x39 will take 30 round mags "as is", though you might have to install a bullet guide ($15) in the trunion. Easy to do. Some require it, some don't for whatever reason. Mine didn't need it to feed properly.

If you are just wanting a quality 74 at a good price in a very traditional and true set up, I'd recommend the Waffen Werks gun.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I would recommend the Waffen Werks or one of the ak74s from arms of america.... i bought the one from arms of america and that thing is awesome..... it has a west german chrome line CHF barrel too, great shooting and very well put together. about the same price as the Waffen Werks too

Top Bottom