• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Hey all, I'm kind of looking at an Ak pattern rifle. I know they both are the same thing except caliber and price. Ak-47s seem cheaper, but the Ak-74 seems more accurate past 200 yards. I guess my question is what would the better caliber be? 7.62x39 or the 5.45x39.

Also, other than classicarms.us and assorted stores in the Indy area, where's a good deal on a Ak-47 or Ak-74 (under $500)? What are Bradis' prices? How hard are wood stocks to find for the 74? I like me some wood stocks :D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ak-47s seem cheaper, but the Ak-74 seems more accurate past 200 yards.

Honestly, if you're shooting past 200 yards with an AK, you're not using the right tool for the job.

I guess my question is what would the better caliber be? 7.62x39 or the 5.45x39.

"Better" in what respect? Several years ago, I dumped all my 7.62x39 rifles and standardized on the 5.45. I did this for several reasons - less recoil, flatter shooting (combination of the two equals "easier to shoot well"), and cheaper to shoot (mil-surp ammo is ~$139/1080). The 7.62 presents more recoil, but gives better penetration of intermediate barriers.

What are Bradis' prices?

We have a couple Polish Tantals in at about $459.95. Arsenals can be ordered, but run $850+.

How hard are wood stocks to find for the 74?

They are the same as for the stamped-receiver 7.62 AKs.

HTH!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I like how the 74 is flatter and has less recoil and is cheaper to feed. Can you get other 74s in? I like the Tantals but people complain about cheek weld with the wire stocks. I'd like a standard "full" stock and I know it's easier just to buy it with it already on than having the rifle 'smithed for the new stock.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Brothers of your SBR side folder :drool:

:D

What, this old thing? ;)

HALO_AK_left.jpg

P1010059.jpg

It would be hard to duplicate; it's built on an SLR-105 and they are rare as hens' teeth these days. :xmad:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Could you get Bulgarians in? And for how much?

Depends on which "Bulgarians" you're talking about. The Century Bulgarian kit builds seem to have dried up for the moment but will likely become available again in the near future. Others such as Interarms, Lancaster or Waffen Werks, we do not have a source for.

Have you guys checked the Tantal barrels? I did a quick read and that's a problem on a lot of them :dunno:

The current guns have the 1x8 twist barrels and have not exhibited any keholing issues as was common with the earlier batches which used a 1x7 barrel.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Thanks! This is a Christmas present so it'll be a bit before I buy. Do you think the Century Bulgarians will most likely be back around the holidays? If not I'll just get a Tantal :)

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    74s are much more pleasant to shoot than a 47 as stated above. I enjoy shooting both, however i like the 47s bigger round for what my ak's are asked to do (decent accuracy, always reliable). If I had to have one I would go 47, but I think both are great. You should eventually get both... :) Good luck!

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    Waffen Werks AK-74 rifles are great. cost me $650. Century guns are questionable and arsenal to expensive. as far as caliber it just depends what you want it to do find the pros and cons of each I like 5.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I've never owned a 74 because I view it as having all the accuracy of the AK with the knock-down power of the AR. Fail-fail.

I was thinking it would have a little better accuracy than the 47, and a little more knock down power than an AR. My research on this subject is next to nill though

Top Bottom