• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris08110

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I'm thinking about getting an AK47. Everything I've read has really made me believe that there isn't a lot to be gained with spending the most money possible and buying a super high end model. Most people say it's mostly a difference in fit and finish as you move up the cost spectrum. Most things I've read said that WASRs performed flawlessly and were just as great as higher priced units and just to check out the mag wobble and front sights before bringing one home. I'm looking for a SHTF/home defense rifle and something that I can have fun at the range with. I have the basics covered, small .380 for cc, 12 gauge for home defense, .22 for plinking and small game hunting. Now I'm looking to step up to a larger handgun or semi-auto rifle. The AK seems like they are workhorses that require little to no maintenance and still run flawlessly. I'd also be open to looking into an AR platform. Seems like I can find ak's for $350-450 and ar's tend to jump up into the $600-1000+ range. I definitely think the AR would be out of my current budget at that price and may have to be an option down the road. What do you guys think? Are my prices right and which would work better for my situation. I would appreciate any advice on the matter.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I was very neverous about getting a wasr, but after a year of having it i'm still loving it. I had heard all the storys online about them being junk, Don't believe them. Inspect it well before buying it. If it all looks good, buy it and enjoy

JJGatesE30

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Most things I've read said that WASRs performed flawlessly and were just as great as higher priced units

I wish I still had mine, it was a great shooter and just has that straight up and simple AK look. You cant go wrong with a WASR or any AK really IMO, bump firing FTW!!

Chris08110

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Where is a good place to buy. I've looked at Buds online-good prices but you don't necessarily get to look through and pick one out. Local stores around here don't tend to carry alot in the AR or AK platforms. Also did you have to look through a ton before you found a good one or was it easier than I'm thinking it would be.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Id get the ak for a beginners rifle. That's what I did versus an AR. I now have both, but at the time my budget didn't allow me to be able to get an AR plus ammo. So I went AK and spent the rest on ammo so I could actually shoot it. Its been a while since ive seen a decent AK for 350 bucks, most around me are going for around 450 for the low end ak models and 600 for the top end models. ARs are anywhere from 600 for used and around a grand for a new one. 7.62x39 is anywhere from 5 bucks to 9 bucks a box for surplus wolf or brown bear steel cased stuff in stores, a tad cheaper online. 5.56/.223 is around 9 bucks and up for brass cased stuff, there is cheaper steel cased but I don't run it in my AR so I can't tell you a price on it. Internet has some better ammo prices but take shipping into account, it lessens the gap some. Also AK mags tend to be a tad more expensive then ARs by a few dollars. Not always the case though. Hope that helps

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Where is a good place to buy. I've looked at Buds online-good prices but you don't necessarily get to look through and pick one out. Local stores around here don't tend to carry alot in the AR or AK platforms. Also did you have to look through a ton before you found a good one or was it easier than I'm thinking it would be.

Post your location, that'll help. Acme in seymour usually has several of both platforms on their shelf as does keislers in clarksville. Bite the bullet just north of seymour usually wil have one or the other.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Watch duhnams, they run deals on them. From time to time they are around 350. You may also want to try centerfire systems in ky
    +1 for Dunham's, or any brick & morter store!
    I've bought "several" AK's from them. You can look one over before you buy and avoid canted FSB's and excessively tight BCG's

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010

look for this at the bottom of the page.
    Classic Arms Inc.

ROMANIAN AK- MV SEMI AUTO RIFLE
    [SIZE=+3]OUR EVER POPULAR ROMANIAN MILITARY VARIATION AK RIFLES[/SIZE]

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    Dunham's is a no-go 98% here in Auburn. Once in a while they have a 50% off sale on the WASRs. They're $600 at Dunham's and that's a huge rip-off in my opinion when you can get far better AKs for the same price online.

Gillclaypot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Muncie,IN
    I bought a single stack at dunhams for 279 this summer.It was a single stack. I have a mill and now it is a double stack.Less than .005 clearance for the mag.Yes the front sight might lean to the right or left. you can tell because the sight pin in the front will stick out the opposite side the sight leans too.I actally took a dead blow hammer and popped one into place and sighted it for a friend. It has been staying tight and has not moved and it has been 4 years.Im sure those aks will be on sale for black friday this year as they have been for the past two years.

Chris08110

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Christmas deals?? Kieslers selection, price, etc??

Thank you guys for all of the input. I'm in Southern Indiana by the way. Are there any good Christmas/Black Friday type sales anyone knows about. I saw an ad for Dunhams for $349 but there aren't any down here. Classic arms had decent prices but you can't browse for canted sights/mag wobble, etc. Kieslers is down here but it's been years since I've been there and I'm not even sure if they carry ak's or how their prices, service, etc. are. I know I'm asking a lot of questions. I just figured who better to ask than you guys. Thanks again for all of the help!!

Top Bottom