• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    What kind of mags or are you open to suggestions?

CZ Scorpion, Kel Tec Sub 2k, several 9mm ARs out there, I'm pretty sure the kinks in the Just Right Carbines are worked out...

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Beretta CX4 Storm or a CZ Scorpion EVO would be my top picks of what can be had these days.

I think the beretta storms are a bit under rated.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I went with a 9mm SBR, cannot put into words how much fun this thing is to shoot... I will say for personal preference the Glock mag versions of the AR9s or even the Kel-Tec pistol cal carbines are very nice when paired with a Glock pistol of your choice. Makes for a very fun package. I use this setup along with a G19/34 for run-N-Gun and its an absolute pleasure to shoot and also very nice being able to share mags between the two platforms.

9mm%20SBR_zpsmxtknk36.jpg

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    We have two Beretta Cx4s at my house and love them. The trigger isn't the greatest, but some upgrades from SierraPapa will fix that. PCC aren't really long range target guns anyway.
    It's a great, short, well handling, reliable rifle. If you have a Beretta 92 or Px4, they make a great combo.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Nobody is mentioning Hi Point so I will. Nobody likes their pistols but my research found the carbine to be quite well thought of and what makes it viable is that there is now a company putting out a dependable 20 round mag for it.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    If you are set on the $1000 dollar limit, get the Scorpion, or build an AR. If you have some flexibility, there are better options out there.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Nobody is mentioning Hi Point so I will. Nobody likes their pistols but my research found the carbine to be quite well thought of and what makes it viable is that there is now a company putting out a dependable 20 round mag for it.

And if you use that 20 round magazine, you void the lifetime transferable warranty on your hipoint carbine. The damage it causes to your gun is very obvious as it wrecks your feed ramp.

The hipoint carbines are about like the handguns but have unjustly received a bit more praise than they deserve. They're on the same tier as the handguns, they will work properly after you send them in to hipoint for repairs and the warranty is great. But in every other aspect they're far below par and someone who is used to more normal quality firearms will be disappointed.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I love my Hi Point 9mm carbine. I would never use their handguns but the carbine is perfect setup for what it is, a low end carbine. Its dead on at 25 yards with just regular sites. Yes mag capacity sucks but for $270 its worth the price. No, I would not trust it in a "combat" situation but love using it for plinking.

DapperDan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    I have a sub2k and no complaints here. Am able to put an entire mag in the torso of a rubber dummy target at 100 yards with the factory sights. They're cheap, reliable, and the mag compatability is great.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    I have 4 9mm Carbines. Ruger PC-9, Just Right Carbine Takedown, ATI Milsport AR( Glock Mags) and a CZ Scorpion. I just ordered the CZ Scorpion pistol to make my first SBR. They all shoot great but obviously some are better than others. The Ruger mags are getting a little harder to find and the iron sights on it suck. The other 3 are tackdrivers and a blast to shoot. If you were closer I would be glad to let you try any of them out. I had the Keltec Sub2K and it functioned well but I couldn't get a good sight picture on it and it was uncomfortable to shoot.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have a Ruger PC40, wish it was the 9 version. Thing shoot great. I've just got a cheap scope on it (previous owner put it on) and it shoots great. They are kinda salty nowadays, but every once in a while you'll see one pop up.
    I'm building an AR in 9mm now and I'm more excited about it than anything else I can think of recently. Its hard to tell you NOT to go with an AR, but with so many good options right now you really can't go wrong. My neighbor has a Beretta he loves, and I haven't read much bad on the scorpions either. Its a good time to be in the market for a 9mm carbine.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have tried and owned the following:
    Ruger PC9 - heavy, but sturdy, reliable, eats anything, uses my Ruger P-series mags, accurate enough. Get the ghost ring sight model if possible.
    HiPoint - cheap, hard to work on, but more accurate than it has any right to be, limited mag choice
    Sub 2000 (older model) - adapted Ruger P-series mags to fit (takes S&W), light, folds small, difficult cheek weld, takes some getting used to
    Calico - what's not to like with 50 and 100 round mags? Only kept the newest one - the older ones were unreliable

While PC9s are getting harder to find, it's still easy to get MecGar 17 round mags online, new, about $20.

Last edited:

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Another vote for the Beretta Cx4 in 9mm. Super short, very light, handy, controls are just like a pistol, and mags interchange with your Beretta 92 (you have a Beretta 92, don't you? - If not, you should :):)

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Another vote for the Beretta Cx4 in 9mm. Super short, very light, handy, controls are just like a pistol, and mags interchange with your Beretta 92 (you have a Beretta 92, don't you? - If not, you should :):)
    Honestly this is solid advice. Even if not a Beretta guy, what option would allow you to share mags with something you currently own? I'd have gone Beretta mags if it were an option building my AR9, however I plan on a Glock purchase down the road so I wasn't too upset. I think that would be a big consideration for me. Price half a dozen mags and you might save money buying a pricier rifle.

Top Bottom