My annual pilgrimage to the CMP South Store...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I have been attending the Spring Race at Talladega every Spring since 1984. In 2011, I realized that within a few miles of the track is the mecca of US Military surplus rifle collectors, the CMP South Store. Since 2011, a visit to the CMP South Store has been a part of my Spring Pilgrimage. Over the years, I made some thrilling purchases. But of late, the inventory in the stores has been less than exciting. Last year's visit was most disappointing, nothing in the racks. I didn't even plan on stopping this year because the CMP forum was reporting that there was nothing in the racks. But, I did have room in my collection for an M1D. So, I thought I'd just check out the rack grade M1Ds and pick up a project rifle.

Mid afternoon on Friday, I stopped by the South Store. As expected, there were no rack grade, field grade or service grade M1s. I looked through all the rack grade M1Ds. They were all pretty rough. They swallowed the muzzle and throat gauges and the stocks were terrible. The fella behind the counter, Mike pointed out 10 or 11 field grade M1Ds that had just been "found" and put in the racks. He specifically pointed out a 6 digit SA M1D in a collectible cartouched stock. Although, it was marked field grade; it measured 1+ at the muzzle and 3+ at the throat. In a moment of weakness, I just couldn't pass up a service grade quality M1D for the price of a field grade.

I bought the rifle and a reproduction telescope.

As these great pieces of history wane in number, I'm really glad to have one more great experience at the CMP Store.

I had the rifle shipped. So, it will probably beat me home. I'll post pictures and a range report next week.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'll be going down to visit my brother in Tennessee later on this month. We were thinking about taking a day trip down there to check it out but it sounds like the trip could be in vane. This makes me sad.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I'll be going down to visit my brother in Tennessee later on this month. We were thinking about taking a day trip down there to check it out but it sounds like the trip could be in vane. This makes me sad.

Yeah. It definitely seems to be the end of an era. I came to the party late; but, in 2011, on my first visit, the racks were full...Springfields, Winchesters, HRAs in rack, field, service grades. There was even a smattering of 1903A3s. There were so many rifles, it took several hours to properly coon finger every rifle and pick out a couple to "follow me home". I pretty much settled for bayonets and ammunition on my last two visits because the racks were bare.

Last Friday, there were no rack, field or service grade rifles. Mike told me that he didn't think that would change anytime soon. There were a dozen Special Grade M1s which are Springfield receivers, with new criterion barrels and new CMP Walnut stocks all beautifully reparkerized. There are several nice, but pricey National Match rifles; equally nice and pricey M1Cs; the dozen rough, rack grade M1Ds I looked over AND the 10 field grade M1Ds.

There are also a dozen each M1 and M1903A3 drill rifles. Some folks can salvage good parts off of the drill rifles even to the point of reactivating a receiver that hasn't been damaged too much by the demilling process. That stuff is way beyond my area of expertise.

At this point, your best bet is to mail order a rifle from the CMP. They are still shipping field grade and service grade rifles. There is a bit of a back log and delivery might take 3 to 6 months.

I'm home now and I am panning to pick the rifle up at the FedEx hub after work tomorrow. I'll post pictures later in the week.

VIETVET191

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Found the same thing at the North store in Ohio. The supply must be so low, they're mostly handling mail orders. I've had my order in for 7 weeks now, and they haven't started to process it yet. 3 to 6 months is probably accurate.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Well, I drove the the FedEx hub and picked up my rifle and scope. I'll be honest, I have never considered adding an M1D to my collection. But, when the CMP offered their M1D special, I seriously considered buying one of those. My collection is more shooters than collectible. When I stopped by the South Store last Friday, my plan was to buy a rack grade M1D and put it back for a long term project. After looking at the rack grade M1Ds, I realized that I was going to have to add a new barrel and stock in addition to the reproduction scope and mount. When Mike pointed out this particular rifle, it occurred to me that going this route would be much cheaper.

So here is what it looks like out of the box...I think with some cleaning, steaming and raw linseed oil love, the stock will look nice.
    SA-M1D-10-1942-09RightFull_zpspsxwsrqa.jpg

By my own gauges, the SA 1-52 barrel is a bit better than the tag says. The muzzle is definitely 2+; but, the throat is closer the 3+ than 4...
    SA-M1D-10-1942-01RightSideHangTag_zpsqmegl3bd.jpg

The 6 digit serial number dates the receiver to October 1942. The bolt, trigger guard and sights are all post war, I think...
    SA-M1D-10-1942-03TopDown_zpsviwajag0.jpg

The barrel is dated 1-52...I think there is supposed to be a drawing number under the hand guard. I haven't checked.
    SA-M1D-10-1942-05BarrelDate_zpszdoarpwq.jpg

The stock has the boxed SA / GAW, cross cannon and circle P cartouches....not correct for October 42; but, still a neat WWII era stock...
    SA-M1D-10-1942-07Cartouchef_zps9zea2sxg.jpg

I am very pleased. I have no delusions that the rifle is a collector; but, it is a great field grade and will make a great shooter.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great rifle! That stock is right for something in the end of '43 if I remember. I have an early '43 with a very light cartouched GAW, and I think mine should be an Earl McFarland (EMcF).

I'm sure as a collector you already have read the Scott Duff books, but if not that might be a nice addition. Some great info on the right parts, etc.

One of the things I noticed on my trip to the North Store is that the guys behind the counter often know where to point someone to a good rifle. I won't come right out and suggest they are playing any games, but the closer I looked, the more I found that in a rack of say 10 Service Grade rifles, most would be collector grade other than an oddly mis-matched trigger group, or a stock that just didn't seem to match the condition of the rest of the gun. I actually had a buddy that bought two guns that had all the right parts to make one correct, and the other a normal Rack or Service grade gun. Sure looked to me that perhaps some correct grade guns got field stripped for inspection and function test, and then just so happened to be put back together with some incorrect parts so they met the criteria needed to fill the rack.

Hope it shoots well!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I have had Canfield's book for 10 years. Last summer, I picked up the four books on top all signed by Duff. US Infantry Weapons In Combat by Mark Goodwin with Forward by Scott Duff is an especially interesting read.
    DuffsBooks_zpsjcepejxd.jpg

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Good looking rifle. I was at the south store in November. The M1Ds were pretty rough looking then. I ended up with a really nice 6 digit SA field grade. Everything I'm reading at the CMP forums seems to indicate that the sun is setting on M1 availability.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Great rifle! That stock is right for something in the end of '43 if I remember. I have an early '43 with a very light cartouched GAW, and I think mine should be an Earl McFarland (EMcF).

I'm sure as a collector you already have read the Scott Duff books, but if not that might be a nice addition. Some great info on the right parts, etc.

One of the things I noticed on my trip to the North Store is that the guys behind the counter often know where to point someone to a good rifle. I won't come right out and suggest they are playing any games, but the closer I looked, the more I found that in a rack of say 10 Service Grade rifles, most would be collector grade other than an oddly mis-matched trigger group, or a stock that just didn't seem to match the condition of the rest of the gun. I actually had a buddy that bought two guns that had all the right parts to make one correct, and the other a normal Rack or Service grade gun. Sure looked to me that perhaps some correct grade guns got field stripped for inspection and function test, and then just so happened to be put back together with some incorrect parts so they met the criteria needed to fill the rack.

Hope it shoots well!

I agree, the counter guys are great at the North store, Three or 4 years ago my son and I visited the North store. We went to purchase a couple of the M! Garand's "special" grade. When we got to the store they had a different grade then shown on the web site. Can't remember the exact designation but it was something like a "CMP special grade". Talking to the counter man he explained these guns were just like the regular special grade but didn't have a new barrel. However he said the existing barrels on the rifles gauged in spec. (as new) and were as good as the replacement barrels, they were priced at $950 VS $995 for the special grade. We both felt we would rather have the original barrels (even for the same cost) so each purchased one. Both of the Garands we purchased are Korean vintage.

We stay current on the customer list by purchasing some ammo each year. I just received my latest order a month ago. For those interested they have a "Spam can" of Greek 30-06, in clips in 3 bandoliers (192 rounds) for $115 shipped. As I have at least 1K of Garand ammo in clips I will leave the can sealed. Son is going to purchase a can soon.

I have an M1 carbine I purchased several years ago at a Gun Shop in Rensselaer, but sure would like to get another ~ doubt CMP will ever have more. Waiting now for the 1911's to show up on the site, pretty curious to see how they will be priced!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Good looking rifle. I was at the south store in November. The M1Ds were pretty rough looking then. I ended up with a really nice 6 digit SA field grade. Everything I'm reading at the CMP forums seems to indicate that the sun is setting on M1 availability.

Agreed. I am sorry I came to the party so late. Both service grade and field grade mail orders are running 2 to 3 months. Judging from pictures and comments on the forum, the rifles seem to be being assembled from parts prior to shipping. If they are building them from parts, they must be running low.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    There is no such thing as a all correct parts M1D rifle. They were all rifles built from a mixture of used parts, so a correct M1D is a mixmaster .

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Took Friday off and went to the North Store and Commercial Row.
    If you are looking for a M1D or M1C, there are still some left, but it was sketchy.
    I found a couple of M1Ds that gaged around 2-3, but most were over 5 and on some, the gage dropped all the way in.
    They have a dozen or so Winchester that had new barrels for $1235.
    They had about 7-8 of the rack grade M1D for $935.
    They had 2 full racks of the parade grade M1s, that are about as rough as you can imagine.
    If you are careful and look them over, there are some decent receivers, sights and misc parts for $350.
    Some of them were not welded at the receiver very well and were cut-able.
    The bolts and/or the barrels are welded up pretty badly, wood was pretty beat up.
    They also have some 1903 drill rifles that were even rougher than the Garands, same price.
    The wall racks had mostly barreled receivers for .22s and a few 1917s and 1903s, but they were pretty sad.
    So I am working my way down the parade racks and my buddy comes up with a Garand with a blue tag and asks what the deal is with the tag.
    I don't have a clue, so we go up and talk with the guy at the counter and find out it is a rack grade SA that gages around 2-3.
    Every morning, they put out 4 rack grade Garands and 2 carbines.
    If you manage to get in early, they are yours for $525 + tax for the carbine and $560 for the Garands.
    My buddy managed to pick up the last one for that day.
    Funny thing is, they are hiding the carbines all over the place, like in the hat racks and shirt racks and behind stocks and stuff like that.
    I keep wondering how they are doing it, but they continue on.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Yeah, I read where they were hiding a hand full of rack grade rifles each day. LOL. An Easter egg hunt in July!

I finally, got the two brass screws I needed to finish my cheek pad installation. So, I got the cheek pad installed properly. I put a few rounds through her on Saturday. She's holding zero and making 4 inch groups at 100 yards. As I said earlier, I had originally planned to buy a rack grade M1D; but, when I did the math for new barrel & new stock the field grade route made much more sense. I'm very pleased with the rifle.

M1D-SA-1942-1952SOTICright_zpsnl1pgetk.jpg

M1D-SA-1942-1952SOTICLeft_zpsvh5yaop1.jpg

M1D-SA-1942-1952SOTICLeftClose_zpsowmraiqa.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom