• ...and so much more!
  • Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    When I got my Arsenal SGL21 about a year ago I had trouble with the trigger resetting. Knowing little about the mechanics of the gun at the time I posted some photos and it was clear right away that one of the spring legs had walked off the trigger arm (right side). Popped it back on and the trigger then operated as it should next time out. In the times I've shot the gun since then I've had a small number if instances of the trigger failing to reset properly. I clean things up, lube well, and it is usually good for maybe a couple of hundred rounds then I will start to get the issue again, but only maybe one in 20 rounds or so. I can always just flick the trigger with my finger to reset and fire again. I went out again today after a good clean and lube and went through a full 30 round mag with no issues. Then five or so rounds into the second mag it started back up again and happened roughly every five rounds.

Any ideas from the AK gurus? Weak spring? Here are a couple of pics I took this evening. I can take some different angles if it would help.

AKTriggerAug2013_zps13d52677.jpg

AKTrigger2Aug2013_zps94b6e0a0.jpg

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    i would take the trigger out and stretch the disconnector spring by tweeking it with a screwdriver and see if that fixes it. sounds like the disconnect is sticking to the hammer.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Not still under warranty. I don't think there's anything wrong with my squeeze, but I will have an opportunity to shoot it again later this week so I will concentrate on that to see if I can eliminate it as an issue. Next step after that will be to pull things apart and work with the disconnector spring as suggested.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Not still under warranty. I don't think there's anything wrong with my squeeze, but I will have an opportunity to shoot it again later this week so I will concentrate on that to see if I can eliminate it as an issue. Next step after that will be to pull things apart and work with the disconnector spring as suggested.

Just because it's not still "under warranty" doesn't mean they won't help you out. Contact them and say you've always had trouble with with your trigger group and would like to see if they could send you a new one.

Hell if you tell them you've had resetting issues and maybe a double here (whether it's happened or not) and there they'd get you a new trigger right to you

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I know it will irritate some but Ive never liked the ak sorry - hope you find a fix for your rifle - selling it would make the issue go away though :rolleyes:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Sell it buy a AR

...there's always one in the crowd...

Check your disconnector spring. Make sure it's clean and rust free. Drop a little motor oil it. You can also take some emry paper and polish your trigger & hammer pins, work over the sear and hammer engagement points as well. Smoothing out all the contact surfaces on your fire control group is always a great idea. Check for any burs in those areas and smooth them out. Good luck, OP!

...and bcannon, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but bad form bro. If you can't offer anything constructive, don't offer anything at all. Don't turn this into an AR vs. AK debate. A guy just wants some friendly advice in regard to his ComBloc firearm. He didn't ask for criticism on his weapon of choice.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    Ya know i was going to say the same thing. These comments are increasing and more common.

These one line trolls are getting plentifull here at ingo, ones that hover over AK THREADS or AR THREADS and say, buy an AR, buy an AK etc.
    Every thread these @#$%&( ruin the quality of posts we strive to acheive here at INGO.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the input folks. I'm going to dig into the trigger components hopefully over the next few days based on your suggestions and some other reading I've been doing. Owning guns like this for me is a journey - a learning experience. This will just give me an opportunity to learn a little more.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If the problem is the same where your spring legs walk off the trigger do this:

Take a pair of needle nose pliers and put a slight bend in the spring midway between the hammer wind and where the legs contact the trigger. You won't even have to remove the trigger group from the gun. The goal is to get the legs to want to bow out towards the sides of the receiver. The 90 degree downturn at the end of the spring legs should hold it in place on the trigger. In essence you'll have the spring wind that'll keep the pressure downward on the trigger and your slight outward bend to keep the legs on the trigger. Without the bend the legs can wander centrally making it so the downward pressure is not at the rear like it should be cutting the pressure in half or so. Levers and fulcrums. If you're confused by any of this as i know i'm not a wordsmith. Stop by and i'll help you out.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    If the problem is the same where your spring legs walk off the trigger do this:

Take a pair of needle nose pliers and put a slight bend in the spring midway between the hammer wind and where the legs contact the trigger. You won't even have to remove the trigger group from the gun. The goal is to get the legs to want to bow out towards the sides of the receiver. The 90 degree downturn at the end of the spring legs should hold it in place on the trigger. In essence you'll have the spring wind that'll keep the pressure downward on the trigger and your slight outward bend to keep the legs on the trigger. Without the bend the legs can wander centrally making it so the downward pressure is not at the rear like it should be cutting the pressure in half or so. Levers and fulcrums. If you're confused by any of this as i know i'm not a wordsmith. Stop by and i'll help you out.

Actually after I read back through it a couple of times it makes perfect sense. If the spring wants to move to the center it will slide "down" the increasing incline of the trigger leg (toward the pivot point). The outward spring tension will force the spring to ride "up" the increasing incline (toward the end of the trigger leg). I'll try it tomorrow when I'm not as sleepy. Now, any thoughts on smoothing that first stage of the trigger pull. Mine is a little gritty. Any issues with smoothing those friction points?

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Reporting back and I can say all seems to be good now. I took out the entire trigger group and did several things suggested. I also did some light polishing on some of the friction surfaces. Put it all back using a retainer plate instead of the shepherds crook (boy, that made things easier to reassemble). Trigger now feels light and crisp. The first stage is smooth where before it was gritty. I put 90 rounds through this morning - slow fire, rapid fire. No trigger problems at all. Thanks for the help folks.

Top Bottom