• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    LoFS is famous for stupid decisions and policies. My former in-laws sold their farm to the developers when they were building that place. The drama and draconian rules of that Hoa would be a hit reality show.
    Here's hoping he wins.:40oz:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    LoFS is famous for stupid decisions and policies....

That's true.

I interested to see how the residents will react when they hear about this. I have some friends out there who are reasonable people who will probably be outraged by this decision.

On the other hand, there are some snooty liberal types who live out there who are under the impression they are living in some sort of high-end development (because of the gates, I guess) who will support it. Overall, I would guess there are more gun owners in LOFS that not.

In any event, it's not what it once was. I just moved out of South Haven after living there for 15 years (my "starter" house was just too comfortable). In the last decade, LOFS has gotten...interesting. The crime rates, knucklehead teens and 20-somethings, vandalism, etc......at this point, I'd take South Haven.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you can be fired for practically anything in Indiana, how is this going to stand up? He wasn't fired for possession of a firearm on their property, just for espousing ownership. I'm interested in seeing how this plays out, but if Indiana is "at will", how does this not apply? Sure he has the Right to keep and bear, but what about their employer Rights? Gonna be an interesting case.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I remember hearing when hospital staff/nurses were being let go if they didn't quit smoking. Not just at work mind you, but on their off time, if they tested positive for nicotine use or were caught smoking off property they could be fired.

How did any of those cases turn out? I imagine this could be comparable...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The interesting part is, if the original times article is accurate, he may have been fired for telling a co-worker he is a gun owner, not for being​ a gun owner. Will that make the difference? Even in a lawyer's eye, I believe that this is too fine a line. It will make an interesting test case.

Former LOFS employee's lawsuit says he was fired for owning a gun : Crown Point Community

It is a fine line, but the employer DID ask the employee, and from what I understand, that is Verbotten

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    You are correct about that..
    ..but what if he is asked: "did you tell your coworker you owned a gun" rather than: "do you own a gun"?
    The sad thing is to see that so many important social policy issues are decided on that kind of technicality...

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I remember hearing when hospital staff/nurses were being let go if they didn't quit smoking. Not just at work mind you, but on their off time, if they tested positive for nicotine use or were caught smoking off property they could be fired.

How did any of those cases turn out? I imagine this could be comparable...
    Not sure, but smoking is NOT in the U.S. or Indiana State Constitutions. The right to keep and bear (own and carry) IS. NOT 'comparable' at all, really.

LOL, I think the HoA would have had a heart attack if they knew of one LoFS homeowner who kept a virtual 'arsenal' in a specially built room in their home. :lmfao:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I thought that most here were of the logic that a private business should be able to hire/fire as they see fit. Race, religion, etc were all fair game. I guess not.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not sure, but smoking is NOT in the U.S. or Indiana State Constitutions. The right to keep and bear (own and carry) IS. NOT 'comparable' at all, really.

LOL, I think the HoA would have had a heart attack if they knew of one LoFS homeowner who kept a virtual 'arsenal' in a specially built room in their home. :lmfao:
    Yes, those documents protect us from our government..oh wait, HOA's are private businesses...now I'm confused.

Top Bottom