• ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    The boxes that protect our liberty: - the FIFTH BOX -

Of old, when I first recall hearing of the 4 boxes, I heard that this was attributed to President Theodore Roosevelt. But upon a bit of research (you know we all like knowing the facts here) - I find that this 'thought process' originated at a much earlier time. An 1830's campaign slogan in South Carolina touted the "3 boxes" of liberty. F...rederick Douglass frequently repeated the 3 boxes during his political career.

The boxes as they stated are: The Ballot Box, The Jury Box and the Cartridge Box.

The 4th box, at least in the versions I have heard, may have been added in the early 20th century. This is where the attribution to Teddy Roosevelt ties in; though I cannot find evidence of this. It certainly seems in keeping with many of the other things he said, and the way he conducted the majority of his (public) life. The 4th Box is: the Soap Box.

Others have tried to tie in various other boxes - tied to a specific movement, cause or position, in place of the soap box; and the meme (this must be one of the oldest memes ever!!! HA!) has been 'adjusted' to suite and varied by many causes: women's suffrage, civil rights, environmental rights, workers rights, immigration rights and even - first and second amendment rights.

Regardless of the 'rights' of the people that are standing for it; or the fame and wisdom of those who originated the term; I have to say that - I disagree with these famous folks that there are only 4 boxes. So I will stand here on the 4th box, my soap box, and add the 5th box that they each forgot. Perhaps the easiest to use, especially in this modern era of electronics. It has existed since the dawn of our representative republican government; and indeed it is, perhaps more important to being 'represented' than even the ballot box, though that is determined only by each user.

The 5th box - the most important to each of us - is the MAIL (or in modern terms E-MAIL IN) BOX. We can each use this from the comfort of our homes, without disruption of our daily lives. And without input from us; without presenting our arguments for or against any proposal of the government to our elected officials - how can we hope or imagine that they are truly representing us?

I encourage each of you to use this box, the 5th box, today, tomorrow, often, repeatedly. Remind those representing us that we are a REPUBLIC, where not only the majority opinion, but the rights of all are protected. And that liberty comes with responsibility; that we can and will use the ballot box to ensure that these principals remain. Our rights flow and are inherent to our existence, and that they do not extend from the government; but that the government is limited by these rights.

Please like and share - write your representatives - state, federal, local - voice your thoughts - today, often and every day. Thanks

--- BB3

Link to the origin of the boxes. Four boxes of liberty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

As shared on IMAGC:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/IndianaMomsAgainstGunControl/posts/573190679439498

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Bump ... as this is sortof the mantra - AND because we just saw it work.

The INDIANA session is on hiatus ... or SINE DIE ... if you prefer the latin ...

but that means we now turn our attention to federal matters,
    and informing / educating and influencing EVERYONE around us.
    INGO is a great way to inform and empower the "ENTHUSIASTS" that are mostly of like attitude

We need to educate reach and inform - the 85% of the population in the middle too.

That's where if you're on Facebook - look us up.
    But only if you want factual, information, and education to share.

and GO.

Top Bottom