• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The good, the bad and the ugly plus pictures from this years 2015 Winamac Family Day.

My wife did her first volunteering on the shotgun range, and she had fun. She said many of the young girls appreciated seeing another female instructor who would help them as some were intimidated by some of us guys. She also said many people wanted to buy the swag we were wearing. Turn out was smaller than last year, but the reason was probably due to the fact it looked it like was going to rain.

I think it was much smoother running as we had shirts and hats which made it easy for those to see who was running what. I think the shirts were a big hit among us, and will probably keep the same layout just add and subtract sponsors. I also think having shirts without the volunteer label on the back would be a good fundraiser for shirts or whatnot for the event. I only heard of one guy complaining about how we were gabbing even though there were only 2-3 shooters on the line and some benches were open. We do have at least 190 for our shirts for next year, but will have a better count when Jedi figures cost of food and the other donations for wood and whatnot.

armybrat1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Demotte
    As another female volunteer working the firing line, I too saw many gracious young ladies that were anxious to learn and shoot. And, I might also add the young men were very well mannered and wonderful to work with as well. All in all, it was a very successful, fun day.

Next year, maybe we can assign people to help with the cooking/grilling, and have everyone bring a dish to share.....perhaps have a more elaborate type of picnic/cookout after the event is over???? This way, everyone can enjoy one another's company, more like a party atmosphere after the shoot.

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Mrs. Ballstater has around 400 pics and will be editing/going through them later. Maybe they are all of me :@ya:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi's AAR (Part 1)

First off let me say a BIG THANK YOU to all the volunteers and sponsors.
    It is because of you that this event is even possible with out partnership with WINAMAC DNR.

I would like to give a special thank you to 1775usmarine for his behind the scene work on fundraising for the t-shirts. This allowed me to focus on the ammo & equipment as my time has been very limited this year.

Also a big thank you to BDS JIN who was our main floater between all the stations. BDS JIN was walked back and forth getting water and ammo to the 50 and 25 yard and directing people when the stations got overflowed to other areas. Just looking at all the walking he was doing got me tired. :)

Plus we had a "thug" as the welcome safety instructor. Unshelledpilot I know how boring that "welcome safety instructor" post can be but by you doing it I was able to better oversee other areas of the event and it took off the stress of having to be so far away from other areas that may have needed my help.

As for the instructors what can I say ya just love them kids especially sadclown. :P

OK now for some numbers...
    NUMBER OF PEOPLE
    Number of attendance: 53 registered people + 6 walk-ins
    I do not know the number of kids vs adults as I did not keep track of it.

FOOD
    We have the following left in inventory:
    13 bottles of water
    40 bags of small chips
    (pop cans unknown KLB has them)
    2 containers of relish left

The following items were not opened and will be returned
    4 boxes of ores (12 packs in each)
    1 box of Mott's fruit gummys
    1 relish jar

The total cost of food was $126.84.
    This was for
    - 40 packs of Eckrich hot dogs (.49 per pack sale; we only used 10 packs so we have 30 left for our events)
    - 17 packs of buns
    - 7 box of oreos (12 packs per box)
    - 2 kool aid containers
    - 4 jars of relish
    - 2 boxes of 54 count chips
    - 2 boxes mott's fruit gummys (80 count per box)
    - 1 22lb bag of ice

So after doing some food returns the total cost of food is $94.44

We got $37 in donation for food at the food table and $50 in donations for shirts/hats.
    Does anyone have any issues with the $50 going to help cover the food.
    So $87 will cover the food and I'll eat the ~$8 no big deal.

Based on the funds that 1775usmarine has we will just need to raise about $100 to $150 for t-shirts for next year.
    This does not include the cost of hats.
    @Andy219 how much were they so we can try and budget them for next year as well.

AMMO
    .22lr
    start = 13,383
    end = 7,283
    We went thru 6,100 rounds of ,22lr which is a bit less then last years 8K.

@KLB I did find 1 box of 50rds of std. velocity CCI so you can trade for those when you like.
    @MTN sorry but your ammo can was all used up and then the instructors dumped more ammo into it! You are never going to get that can back at this rate. :(

:dunno:

7.62x39
    :dunno:

Sadclown can you provide those numbers

LESSONS LEARNED
    - Have DNR put a "Closed for special event" sign at the front gate cause we had quiet a few annoyed drivers
    - Reloading table for kids to try their hand at reloading and taking some a souvenir
    - Better sponsor table with more signs showcasing the sponsors

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I'll do an ammo count for the 223, and 762 tomorrow when I get home from work. Right now I am going to pass out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The DNR sign should say they would reopen at noon. That way people can just get something to eat, and come back.

I have some water I brought back that is INGOs. I have to count the bottles.

As for talking on the firing line, I only know about the 25 yard. And there were no people wanting for our attention. Kids were watched and coached. Parents were also talked to with helpful hints. Many were convinced to do some shooting themselves.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I didn't teach any blind men to shoot today, that was last year. But I did figure out a girl was having trouble because she was cross dominant. Discussed training her right eye as an option. And discussed shooting left handed.
    She tried left handed............... SHOTS ON THE PAPER!!!! Yea!!!!!

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Jedi, not sure how much the hats were. I believe they ran about 3-5 bucks each. I'm not sure. I will supply them again for next years event, the donations we receive could be put to better use. Maybe I'll have a few more made next year and we could hand some out to attendees or a small donation if you think there'd be any interest. And we could just put those donations in the general fund for future events. We have a long time to think about that though.

it was nice seeing old and new faces. I enjoyed watching the first time shooters, the smiles on their faces when they took their first shot was awesome!

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Here's two pics I shot while waiting for shooters...

ys7890hdrc.jpg

ys7904hdr.jpg

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Acteon, I thought he was a she too... but sadclown straightened me out on FB after I posted the pic. Oh well.... He was shooting pretty good after we all got him over his eye situation. I ran across atleast three kids yesterday that were left eye dominate but right handed... kinda interesting...

Top Bottom