• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK. Here goes. My cousin bought a used 709 at the 1500. It was really new looking and still had some packing grease in it. The dealer said he had fired onne mag for a function test.
    Since then he has had trouble getting it to work to his satisfaction and says it too "thin" for him. I am thinking of getting from him. I had shot 3 mags out of it without issue in the past few weeks. My cousin claims numerous FTE with all ammo except Remmington FMJ. He says it was improving to where he could get 2 or 3 good mags in a row.
    Before today it had about 150 rounds through it. Here's today's results:

Short Story: 106 rounds 3 FTE, one of which happened while shooting with one hand.

Details and order of mags ammo and FTE: (The gun can do 7 in the mag or 7 +1 in the tube) (Same Magazine used for all shots)

8 GoldDot 124 jhp : No Problem

8 GoldDot 124 JHP : FTE after round 7

7 GoldenSabre 124gr HPJ : No problem

8 Starfire 124gr JHP : No problem

8 Remington 115gr FMJ : No problem

7 Remington 115gr FMJ : No problem

7 WWB 115GR FMJ : FTE after round 5

7 WWB 115GR FMJ : No problem

8 Remington 115gr FMJ : No problem

The following were one handed:

(mixed mag) 8:3 GoldDot JHP, 5 Rem FMJ : FTE after round 2 (2nd Gold Dot of 3 in mag)

2 remington 115gr fmj : No problem

The FTE's were ejecte 1/2 way out of the barrel.

The gun shoots really well when it feeds good. Accurate for a short barrel. Recoil isn't bad. jump is pretty significant though.
    Interestingly this gun has NEVER FTE with Remmington 115gr FMJ.

Took it to a reputable gun shop. They said the barrel was too tight when inserted into the slide and they would send it back to Taurus. He found a slight rough spot on the face of the barrel above the feed ramp, to the right of the holel. He encouraged sending it in even if it seems to be smoothing out. Gun was dirty though. Also found out that I had been oiling my guns the wrong way :ugh:. Been oiling the slide and not the contact points in the frame! (hey I had only done shotguns and revolvers till April). Actually found some more grease on the rear set of rails on the frame when I cleaed it later.
    Still debating on getting it from him. He got it at a good price and so can I.
    So what do you all think. Is the issue worth sending in?
    Should I get the gun from him? (Even thoguh I put a P-11 on layaway)

Oh and last but not least met Dtruck and another INGO memebr at the range. Nice guys. Bought my SKS and immediatley had issues....We quickly found out it was in grenade mode:)

So what are your opinions on the 709?

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Nothin? Looking for feedback on this

Should I have posted this in the Handguns section?

Mods feel free to move to the handguns section if more appropriate.

Last edited:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Alot of people may of been asleep, lol. And yeah putting it in the handguns section might of been better. I'd say it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot and buy it. I just took mine out yesterday and put 100 rounds of wwb through it. No jams or misfeeds whatsoever. Had one FTF. Was last round in a mag, I ejected round, looked at it, had deep dimple in primer. Put it back in mag and tried again. And it fired the second time. So on that one I'm just thinking prob with the ammo. Otherwise mine's ran like a champ, I just need alot more practice. lol. Ultimately the decision to buy it is up to you, but I'd prob go for it.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Alot of people may of been asleep, lol. And yeah putting it in the handguns section might of been better. I'd say it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot and buy it. I just took mine out yesterday and put 100 rounds of wwb through it. No jams or misfeeds whatsoever. Had one FTF. Was last round in a mag, I ejected round, looked at it, had deep dimple in primer. Put it back in mag and tried again. And it fired the second time. So on that one I'm just thinking prob with the ammo. Otherwise mine's ran like a champ, I just need alot more practice. lol. Ultimately the decision to buy it is up to you, but I'd prob go for it.

I'm going to try another few mags today with it olied right.
    Gonna try 2 mags of personal defense and then 5 mags of wwb and then sone federal. maybe cap it off with a another mag of PD defennse. If I can get 10 flawless mags in a row I think it's good to go.
    Plus I goota get if back to him tonight during the Dallas game....

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK. Just had this moved to the handgun section. Gotta get this baclk to him for COLTS game. I thought it was tongoght's game he nmeant . ANyway any thpoughts on these rseults?
    Additionally today I ran another 100 rounds with 2 FTE. Tha range officer looked at it and said he thinks there's a burr on the extracter and to shoot a few hundred more down the tube before sending it back. He discounted the barrel mark as QC but non=performance related.......

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    OK. Just had this moved to the handgun section. Gotta get this baclk to him for COLTS game. I thought it was tongoght's game he nmeant . ANyway any thpoughts on these rseults?
    Additionally today I ran another 100 rounds with 2 FTE. Tha range officer looked at it and said he thinks there's a burr on the extracter and to shoot a few hundred more down the tube before sending it back. He discounted the barrel mark as QC but non=performance related.......

common complaint on this gun so it seems according to online reports.

1) try different types of ammo
    2) run a few more hundred rounds thru it.
    3) consider having any work done locally. after reading the "Complaints' section on taurusarmed.net, i would not send it to Miami unless I had to.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    common complaint on this gun so it seems according to online reports.

1) try different types of ammo
    2) run a few more hundred rounds thru it.
    3) consider having any work done locally. after reading the "Complaints' section on taurusarmed.net, i would not send it to Miami unless I had to.

Beauty is....not my gun:). I didn't buy from him. But I'd like for it to work for him. He got for $350 OTD. Ultimately I'll let him decide. If the Taurus blogs are saying it'll smooth out then I'll encourage him to give another 2 or 3 boxes. he wants me to lisyt it here of he decides to get rid of it. I 'm leary as I was warned to not risk the neg rep. Thanks for the input. I still have to get down to atterbury and let you do a side by side for him....I'll bring my P-11.

m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    I've posted on this a lot but, my 709 would light strike several cartridges per box. I sent it back to taurus and it came back perfect. There is another example where someone had pretty much your problem and he had a burr on the extractor. He polished it down and now it works perfectly.

You can try to wear it down, or let Taurus fix it. It takes about 5 weeks turnaround on the gun at this time. It's worth it. They will arrange pickup and delivery free of charge on a new gun.

Mine now has about 400 trouble free rounds through it since i got it back. It's a fine pistol.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    It seems that you either get a good one that doesn't have problems, or you get one that has problems out of the box. Mine has been completely reliable through about 200 rounds of various FMJ and JHP ammo. The extractor issue seems to be the most prevalent problem, with the light strikes next. Seems most folks who've sent their 709 to Taurus for repair have been happy with the result. I'm definitely NOT getting rid of mine.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I've only been to the range with it once since I got it a few weeks ago, but have not had any issues. I've shot 200 rounds of FMJ and 50 rounds of HP through it with no problems in either the FTF or FTE category.

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I just bought one yesterday at the 1500, And ran 120 rounds of FMJ through it this afternoon. I didn't have any FTE's or FTF's it ran flawlessly and was pretty darn accurate for such a small gun. As stated Muzzle jump is fairly significant, but manageable. Overall though I am very happy with my purchase, I love the size, the trigger is great and I like all the nice features like a manual safety and the loaded chamber indicator.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    congrats x2bax on ur purchase. mine has been flawless as well. i admit i am not as accurate as i would like with it, but that just means i need more practice.

Top Bottom