• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhatTheHill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    Okay y'all... You probably all know me now as the kid who stripped his 1911 grip screw... Now that i have gotten that figured out, its back to the reason i wanted to take my grips off in the first place... I have owned this SR1911 for Exactly 4 MONTHS now... I have known about this situation the day i bought the handgun, but have been putting it off so i could ask questions and do a little research on it... The day i took my SR1911 home i took it down, and took the grips off to take a look at the internals and frame. What i found was RUST behind my grips. Yes, RUST... Specs of rust all over behind the grips and inside the magwell. I was dumbfounded, due to the fact that this gun was bought brand new, and Ruger had crafted this handgun out of Stainless Steel. I Googled NEW RUGER SR1911 RUST, and there are many people that had the same problem. Now, by reading all the articles online, i have found that ruger has a great customer service department, and Ruger will send you a way to ship them your handgun, and they will do one of two things. Either completly replace your SR1911, or replace the slide, or the parts with rust on them. Having said that, I am asking if anybody here has delt with Rugers customer service, or if anybody has had this problem. Also, just wanted opinions on the entire situation. I plan on calling Ruger tomorrow after getting others opinions and :twocents:. Before anyone blames the rust on me, I store my gun properly, and use a proper holster. I also clean my gun after every use. Even on my last thread someone called me "ANAL" about my cleaning. Even if it was me, i don't believe this much rust would form on new stainless steel after 4 months, and with the care i put into it.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Call Ruger Customer Service, explain the problem and give them your email address. They will send you an RMA # and a FedEx label with packing instructions. Drop it off at Fedex and they will return it to you very quickly. You will need someone over 21 to sign for the package from FedEx when it comes back.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I may not tear my guns all the way down "Every" time I shoot them but that depends on how many rounds are fired. I do take the grips off and get inside to clean regularly with heavy use.
    A gun is an investment. It pays to care for it.
    Stainless is not supposed to rust.

WhatTheHill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    I may not tear my guns all the way down "Every" time I shoot them but that depends on how many rounds are fired. I do take the grips off and get inside to clean regularly with heavy use.
    A gun is an investment. It pays to care for it.
    Stainless is not supposed to rust.
    I may not tear it down all the way "Every" time i shoot it, just for high round counts like you said. But i do alway wipe it down. I have recently been attending organized classes where we shoot anywhere between 100-250 rounds that evening. I like to clean it pretty good after that.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Its been my experience with 1911's that if the stocks are not taken off regularly this can be a problem.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Obviously you've figured it out already, but stainless can rust if not taken care of properly. It all depends on what the chemical makeup of the material is, the more chromium the less it will rust. I noticed a couple spots on my stainless GP100 after I left it stored in its holster for a couple months, they wiped right off however. Stainless does not mean rust proof, just rust resistant.

I've noticed with classic car stainless trim that it does not rust, that's because it's got a lot of chromium mixed in. Another interesting note about stainless, it can be magnetic..

Jon

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Rust along the lines of the panels are usual for people like me that sweat rust, but that's all over and not normal.

I'll jump on the call ruger band wagon.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Obviously you've figured it out already, but stainless can rust if not taken care of properly. It all depends on what the chemical makeup of the material is, the more chromium the less it will rust. I noticed a couple spots on my stainless GP100 after I left it stored in its holster for a couple months, they wiped right off however. Stainless does not mean rust proof, just rust resistant.

I've noticed with classic car stainless trim that it does not rust, that's because it's got a lot of chromium mixed in. Another interesting note about stainless, it can be magnetic..

Jon

^^^ This ^^^

All of my stainless guns have shown rust at one point in time or another. It always brings a tear of disappointment, but my guns are all shooters. They get carried and used in all weather. Sweat is the worst culprit and the one most forgotten about.

1911's like oil, use it judiciously. I have had limited success using RIG under the grips, but again use that oil bottle everywhere.
    That rust inside the mag well may well be coming from your sear and main springs.

I rarely clean my 1911's in the take down fashion. After matches I wipe out the innards with a paper towel, maybe a Q-Tip if I'm real concerned. I ALWAYS lube in/around all moving parts. Then wipe down the outside with a shop towel laced with FP10 after a bit of racking and dry fire. If I don't get to it right away, meh. I'll be doing it again before the next match, as I dry fire.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Jon

As you mention...Good stainless wil not rust. **** poor stainless will and it is magnetic. Good stainless is not magnetic per-say.
    I have had several stainless guns and not a spec of rust ever. I did and do keep them clean and well lubricated but still......Good stainless will not rust with normal usage.

BW.....Not sure how yours rusted but none of mine ever have. Carried in the woods in the rain and snow. Stainless barrels on long guns the same....no rust.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    BW.....Not sure how yours rusted but none of mine ever have. Carried in the woods in the rain and snow. Stainless barrels on long guns the same....no rust.

Must be my cheap brands; Kimber, Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, Thompson Center, Ruger, Marlin?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm glad to know this. Where does this info come from?
    I pulled about a dozen of my old 1911s down last night looking for rust. I could find NONE. I only own 4 stainless guns. One was rusty when I bought it. An older Sig 220 Texas State Police gun. I keep it sprayed down with RemOil and the rust hasn't spread. I spray my guns down with Remoil and haven't had any rust issues.
    Any steel gun will rust if not taken care of.
    I'm in the elements constantly. I have work guns that take a beating, get rained on, sweat, paint, chemicals, etc. NO problems out of any of them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Must be my cheap brands; Kimber, Springfield Armory, Smith and Wesson, Thompson Center, Ruger, Marlin?

Odd. Just not seen a good stainless gun have any rust. I must keep my guns way too oily.....:)

I have an old .22 revolver that is nickel and it has some tarnish from age. No rust there either.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Call Ruger Customer Service, explain the problem and give them your email address. They will send you an RMA # and a FedEx label with packing instructions. Drop it off at Fedex and they will return it to you very quickly. You will need someone over 21 to sign for the package from FedEx when it comes back.
    This ^. Need to take to a FedEx terminal/shipping center to ship. Will ship back to your door but signature is needed as stated. Ruger customer service is one of if not the best in industry. Turn around time is normally 5 - 8 days in my experience. I have dealt with others that took 2 - 3 months.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom