• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLOOVMAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA
    The Pistol is a tool, Modify it as such. An essay by Jeffrey Bloovman.

Pistol is a tool, modify it as such.

For many years I was 100% opposed to modifying the Glock pistol. To me they were simply out of the box “perfection.” Durable, reliable, accurate, cost-effective, what more could a user want? Modifying this perfect pistol came to me slowly. One day it dawned on me that, well, the factory sights suck. They are difficult to use, cheaply constructed crap. I now refer to them as plastic dovetail protectors, as protecting the dovetails of the slide are really all they’re good for. As we’ve seen, many students who survive the Armed Dynamics classes soon realize that the plastic sights that come from the factory more often than not, wind up littering the shooting area by the end of the one-handed reload and malfunction clearing portion of the class. My friend James Yeager at Tactical Response turned me on to XS Big Dot sights years ago, and after using them extensively on both the range and in force-on-force classes, I truly feel they are the best sights on the market. When people are moving around trying to shoot you and not get shot, one simply places the golf-ball sized front sight on them and presses the trigger. But I digress; we’ll talk more about XS sights in another article. So, if we can improve upon the factory sights, what other modifications can we perform to enhance usability of this “perfect” pistol? Read on to find out.

BigDotandRATTAC.jpg

Magazines. This is an easy one. We ONLY use factory magazines in our Glocks. People think they are saving hard earned cash by purchasing KCI Korean-made magazines. I am here to tell you they are junk, absolute, unequivocal JUNK. In face, while at a recent class down south, Justin Mateer and I witnessed one student’s model 19 become virtually useless as his “bargain priced” Korean Glock magazines failed over and over and over again. So spend the $10 extra and buy factory magazines that will actually feed bullets into your chamber. I am not a fan of magazine grip extensions on any Glock, as they are unnecessary. However, one floorplate that does belong on your compact Glock magazine are those offered by GAP Enterprises. They give the user a large ledge with which they can forcefully remove a magazine during one-handed malfunction clearances. By the way, we practice one-handed drawing, shooting, and malfunction clearing, because we at Armed Dynamics think it’s rather presumptuous to assume we won’t sustain injuries to the dominant or support hand/arm during a gun fight. We must therefore train ourselves to an unconscious level of competence with our weapons handling using two-hands, our dominant-hand only, and our support-hand only. After you attend our Defensive Pistol I class, we tell you that the rest of your life your range sessions will consist of shooting 1/3 two-handed, 1/3 dominant-hand only, and 1/3 support-hand only. Anything less is masturbation.

Trigger. This is sure to draw hooting and hollering from traditional Glock users, but I’ve found a trigger modification that improves the factory 5 ½ pound pull. Now, off the bat let me tell you that we will not be lightening our triggers. Frankly, it shouldn’t matter how many pounds your trigger pull is, if we are effectively working our trigger it doesn’t make a damn difference. My friend Paul Gomez of Gomez Training International introduced me to this enhanced set up, and I have to say it is awesome. By combining a Glock factory NY1 trigger spring, a “minus” 3.5 lb (now known as 4.5 lb) connector, and a little bit of polishing compound, we’ve created what for my money is the best Glock trigger I’ve ever experienced. The NY1 trigger spring is a naturally more reliable system, as the spring inside its Olive plastic body is pushing rather than stretching like the traditional spring. This eliminates broken trigger return springs (which do happen), and significantly increases the trigger reset-strength, giving an even stronger “click” whence the trigger resets. However, merely adding the NY1 spring will increase the pistol’s trigger pull to about 8 ½ lbs and possibly turn many shooters off. This is where the minus connector comes in. You see, a minus connector in conjunction with a regular trigger spring lightens the pull to approximately 3.5 lbs. This is ill advised, as doing so can decrease reliability, and may also be frowned upon by a court system which may cast you in the “lightening your trigger so you can shoot people easier,” crowd. When using the minus connector in conjunction with an NY1 trigger spring, we are actually increasing the weight of pull by about a pound or so. Then, by lightly polishing the surfaces of the connector, trigger bar, and firing pin safety, we are more or less splitting the difference, and are left with a 6-6.5 lb very smooth, strong reset, higher reliability trigger. It’s true that the Glock has the strongest out-of-the-box trigger reset of any factory pistol out there, but when compared to this set up, the factory reset sucks.

Stippling. Even when utilizing a strong, locked-wrist, thumbs-forward grip on while shooting, I noticed my support-hand thumb could slip off the frame during rapid strings of fire. Stippling a polymer framed pistol is not a new concept, so I thought I’d try my hand at burning my very own Glock with a soldering iron. Hell, how hard could it be? As you can see, I’ve stippled only the areas of the pistol which interface with my hands. Also notice that all of the textured areas are naturally covered when the pistol is holstered, thereby protecting my body from the virtual sandpaper I’ve created on the gun. Notice the ledge on the left side of the frame toward the muzzle where the support-hand thumb interfaces. I’ve found that this makes a marked improvement in keeping the muzzle down and support thumb firmly planted on the frame. Most people want to vomit when they see my Glock, but more often than not, after shooting it they ask how much I’d charge to do the modifications to their pistol.

Shelf.jpg

Grip abbreviation. What! Why the hell would you do that! How could you change the natural aesthetics of your… plastic… gun? Well, easy my friend, it’s called a hacksaw. As you’ve probably noticed by now, the grip on my 19 has been abbreviated. This does two things. One, it provides for more positive extraction of empty magazines when I’m ripping them out, as I can index my fingers on the baseplates when jettisoning the magazine. The second reason for this modification is that it simplifies clearing one-handed malfunctions. Traditionally, when a failure to extract (aka double-feed) occurs, the user with a disabled arm has to lock the slide back prior to ripping the magazine out and cycling the slide 3 times. With the abbreviated grip, the user can skip locking the slide back, which is often very difficult in a highly adrenalized state, and instead simply strip the magazine out via the now exposed baseplate in the relief cut area. An added bonus with the abbreviated grip is that it alleviates the pinching some users experience when forcefully seating magazines in the gun. You'll notice that my abbreviation is extra ugly, cause I am unconcerned with "how it looks," and care only on, "how it functions." Typically though, when a student hands me their pistol to modify, I'll say, "okay, I'll treat it likes it's yours, not mine." Note that you cannot abbreviate the grip on subcompact Glocks (26, 27 etc) due to their magazine release springs extending to the near edge of the grip. If you abbreviate it, you’ll wind up chopping the spring as well. While the pistol may continue to work, I’d suggest just purchasing GAP Enterprises Finger Rest Extensions for your stubby factory 10 round magazines. They can be stripped in the event a failure to extract (double-feed) occurs when you are down an arm (as mentioned in the “magazine” paragraph above).

GripAbbreviation.jpg

Griptape. On the top of the slide, just forward of the rear sight, you’ll notice a piece of 3M safety walk tape (non-mineral type). This again aids in performing one-handed reloading/malfunction clearing (seeing a theme here?) as it creates more friction between the slide and whatever we’re using to rack it ie, someone’s pants, table, steering wheel, boot heel, etc. I recommend heating your slide up with a hair dryer just prior to installing the tape, as it adheres better on the hot slide and stays put much better after it cools.

3M.jpg

Grip Force Adapter. This is one of the only non-factory (save for sights and a light) items that will find itself on my Glock. It prevents “slide bite,” although of much greater importance is its ability to act as a counter-lever to the bore, reducing muzzle rise during firing.
    The well used Glock 19 in the pictures has a RATTAC National Match threaded barrel on it currently, but I will refrain from taking a strong stance on it before I put it through some major T&E, as I only have about 500 rounds through it. Since the pistol will soon be sporting a Huntertown Arms sound suppressor, the threads are less for the “cool guy factor” and more for shear necessity. I will tell you however, that my impression thusfar of the barrel has been quite favorable. Expect a review of that item once I’ve treated it like… well, like it’s mine for a little while (read: spit on, thrown around, shot until red hot, etc). If you’re in the market for a threaded barrel for your pistol, give Jahred a call at AGS Armament & Consulting, AGS Armament & Consulting LLC. However, when you order something from him, be sure to write in the notes section, “Jeff f***in Bloovman Sent Me.” Worry not, he’ll understand.

Gun.jpg

So there you have it, a list of modifications that will enhance your Glock, and keep it running when you may not have two hands to do so. We treat our firearms as tools, and if we can improve a tool’s function and performance over a wider operating spectrum, why wouldn’t we? A pistol is a tool, modify as such.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I suppose that is what some might refer to as a working gun. Glocks are ugly enough as it is. :D I agree that the factory sights are horrid and that factory magazines are the only way to go. Not sure I am ready to cut and melt the grips yet, but I can see the reasoning. Thank you for sharing.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I too didn't think they could get any uglier, but if it gets rounds on target - more power to him. Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    The XS sights appear to be much better than stock. I've only had/shot my glock for six months. I need good sights 'cause I can't change my poor eyes.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Good read. I carry a G19 myself and have been on the lookout for some new sights for it. Agree on Glock only magazines-everything else is junk. Not sure I could chop the grip.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Hide your eyes!

Good article. Now having said that, that is the fugliest one pistol I think I have ever seen! :rolleyes: :D I do however appreciate that it works well for you and,"would defend to the death", your right to have it any way you want it. Or as the instructor in the armorers class liked to say,"It's your pistol, I don't care if you saw it in half with a hacksaw". :)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Interesting article OP. The original plastic sights are chewed up on my G23 so they're on the way out and I'm interested in the trigger set up you describe.

Instead of chopping the grip I opt to go with G22 mags that extend past the end of the grip just a bit so I can obtain a better purchase while adding 2 additional rounds.

I'm also a proponent of the Grip Force adapter for the same reasons you have given and it also gives me a reference point for obtaining a consistent grip time after time.

My G23 with the beavertail adapter.

g23gripcl2.jpg

Last edited:

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    First off, Glocks arent my thing. I'll admit they've proven themselves time and time again. I hate the look of a Glock to start with... But damn.. That's rough

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not a Glock guy, but I like that. Sure, it looks like it found it's way into a garbage disposal, but it also looks like a well tuned tool. I like the fact that it gives up nothing to form and is pure function. If I do ever own a Glock, it might just get these mods done.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    That stippling looks like you held a zippo to it.

I'm not a fan of grip tape and all the other stuff. Glock yes, cutting on it...no.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Well,
    I'm pretty sure you just voided your warranty.
    And you can definitely cross me off the list of potential buyers when you try to sell that in the classifieds.
    Maybe it can win a "Ugliest Tool Award."

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I completely understand the things you're saying.. The sights I agree with.

The grip tape, in my experience (which seems to not be that of yours) seems to be a solution looking for a problem. I've never had trouble with one handed drills.

Cutting it, well, I've thought about cutting my 19 many times, but so that I could accommodate a shorter magazine for better concealment, not to keep the larger magazines in. I have been looking into the stippling though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As to spending the proper amount for the right parts...some do not and will never get it.
    Would you put your priceless head in a $10 helmet...if so you are one of those folks. Enjoy.

Interesting comments on the ugliest glock I have ever seen. Beyond that, I am sure it could kill me.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Great article. I have to agree that it is pretty damn ugly, but I understand the mods you have done and why. It is also nice to see someone defend modifying your pistol for fighting. If I ever have to use my gun in self defense I am going to be happy I am alive and that I gave myself every advantage I could before hand so that I make it out alive, even if I do end up in court in front of the "modify your gun to make it more deadly" jury.

I have stippled my glocks (and am thinking about adding some more) and I have also cut my frame (from full size to compact) and replaced my sights. I recently added the grip force adapters to my glocks but have yet to shoot them. I used to run grip tape on the sides of my slide up front, but removed it. I will have to look into the grip tape up top now. As far as my trigger I like a polished connector and trigger bar and a 5.5 connector and stock spring (thinking about trying your option out though).

Thanks for the read

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom