• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    This weekend I took my son hog hunting in Tennessee and decided I would try my luck with a pistol. I actually ordered this gun in 10mm to use it as an all around gun and after this trip I may just sell my 45s.

I had originally planned on shooting a smaller hog in the 150 pound range, but when this guy stepped out at around 12 yards the guide and I decided he was the one!

At the first shot he fell over and squealed and we all agreed he was done for, however as we approached he got up and headed our direction. Not a charge so much but a fairly unsteady trot. The guide didn't want to chase him as it was getting dark so as he trotted past I put another round in him on the opposite side. He went about another 15 yards thru a corn field with Bright Red Blood spraying out of both sides. When he flopped over I did put a finisher at the base of his skull for insurance, but it wasn't really necessary.

I used a 200 grain XTP over a charge of Blue Dot that gives me a little over 1150 FPS. Both shots penetrated the chest cavity and expanded perfectly. One bullet penetrated fully and the other stopped just under the skin. When they gutted the hog the gentleman performing the work thought I had used a .270.

Any questions just ask!!

IMG_0127 by White Tiger Photographic, on Flickr

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    It is tasty! I could go much heavier with my reloads, but I settled on this load due to it's accuracy and controllability. It is easy on me the brass and the gun. Would another 100 or 200 FPS really have made a difference?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It is tasty! I could go much heavier with my reloads, but I settled on this load due to it's accuracy and controllability. It is easy on me the brass and the gun. Would another 100 or 200 FPS really have made a difference?

Probably not, but it's good to know if you decide to go after heavier game. That's what I like about the 10mm, you have such a wide variety of loading possibilities. There's nuclear 10mm loads that push 200gr solids to 1700-1800 fps.

I'm not knocking your choice, just making the observation!

fahappy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    NW Indiana
    The 10 mm is one hell of a pistol!!! Ive owned several and they have always proved to be extraordinarilly effective. Looking for a Glock 20 right now matter of fact

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    I've gone to 1300FPS with the 200s but 1700? WOW!! I am seriously considering a Black Bear hunt with this gun. I'd like to have a G20 but they just don't fit my hand. This gun works well as my primary carry arm also!

Landon500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Anderson, In
    NICE JOB! I don't hunt, but if I ever do this is what I want to hunt. I'm sure you and your son had a great time. Tennessee is a great state for hunting or fishing. Very nice job.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've gone to 1300FPS with the 200s but 1700? WOW!! I am seriously considering a Black Bear hunt with this gun. I'd like to have a G20 but they just don't fit my hand. This gun works well as my primary carry arm also!

I've got 2 G20s and a G29. One G20 I bought to build a longslide out of, that with a 6" barrel would be a formidable hunting rig! The guy who is pushing his ammo out there that hot cautions that it's not something for the faint of heart and he is using a custom 6" barrel, but even so, 1400fps is possible without pushing it to an extreme, gun dependent. I wouldn't run ammo that hot in my EAA Witness.

Fitting the hand is a significant problem with the 20,21,29, and 30. I just got the 30sf and it does fit the hand a lot better, but I shoot my G20 very well which is part of why I like them.

I just picked up a Colt Delta Elite at the 1500 but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Slowly adding to my 10mm collection which at last count was 6 handguns and 1 AR upper :).

I got the G29 when they first came out and it has been a constant and reliable companion ever since. It was a few years later my interest in the round as a hunting round was piqued. I was envious when you posted your AAR!

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Hmmm 1400 beats the remington JSP 41 magnum round and everyone says that is ok for Bear so I may be on the right track here.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Harley46982

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    It's a 1000 acre preserve, the hogs are bred there and also released problem hogs trapped in other areas. The pigs are mean and won't walk right up to you by any means, and we spent a fair amount of time walking and stalking. I wouldn't consider it a canned hunt but I suppose some would. I just wanted to be sure my son would get a shot and I really wanted to see what my 10mm would do on a live animal.
    If this is confusing just keep asking questions and I'll do what I can to explain.

Top Bottom