• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whoismunky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Bloomington,IN
    Hey everyone, I'm looking for your advice on getting tight screws (particularly small ones) loose. I've got an AK-47 with some aftermarket handguards (on when I bought the gun) and the screws are too tight to remove. I don't think there's any rust or corrosion, as the gun's new. This is preventing me from taking the gun apart and cleaning the gas tube area...and now I have the same problem with my new Mossberg 500 tactical. The pistol grip stock that comes on it is removed by two screws that I'm having no luck with. Wanted to see how you guys usually handle this since it isn't actually stuck, just overtightened...much appreciated

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The most important thing to remember about screws is to use the proper size screw driver. The proper size screw driver will save the screw heads and save you a lot of grief. Do you think there might be Lock Tight on them? Sometimes to break a tight screw loose I will gently tap the screw driver a couple times with a hammer to help loosen it up some. Good luck.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The most important thing to remember about screws is to use the proper size screw driver. The proper size screw driver will save the screw heads and save you a lot of grief. Do you think there might be Lock Tight on them? Sometimes to break a tight screw loose I will gently tap the screw driver a couple times with a hammer to help loosen it up some. Good luck.

This

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

Ditto on this. One thing you can do if you are having trouble holding the gun in position while you both tap and hold the screwdriver in place is to have a buddy gently tap the screwdriver with a hammer while you hold the screwdriver in place and apply light pressure.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Support/clamp your gun down somehow so it won't move. Then:

Colt556 The most important thing to remember about screws is to use the proper size screw driver. The proper size screw driver will save the screw heads and save you a lot of grief. Do you think there might be Lock Tight on them? Sometimes to break a tight screw loose I will gently tap the screw driver a couple times with a hammer to help loosen it up some. Good luck

And post how it all worked out....:@ya:....Duce<><

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have had a few so stubborn that I had to also use a extra set of hands and a pair of vice grips attached to the screwdriver/allen wrench. This was after trying all the other good ideas stated above.

Recently, I had fits trying to remove the (4) small set screws in the top of the receiver of a stainless 10-22. It was a good thing it was after hours, or Rugers customer service would of gotten an earful. :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Use hollow ground gunsmith screw drivers so the gun doesn't end up looking like it was taken apart by Joe Bob out in the barn.

Top Bottom