• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • askrocki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    I am new to INGO and don't live in IN. However, my wife and I will be coming to Indiana later this year and will be there several months. I would like to buy a firearm (shotgun or revolver or both) after we arrive. I called one gun shop and was told I needed IN driver's license or something to show that I was an IN resident. I do not have an IN driver's license and will not be an IN resident. Can I legally purchase a firearm in IN from either a gun store or private party without my being an IN resident? We are coming by AMTRAK - no guns permitted even in checked baggage, so can't bring any from home. Congress supposedly has passed law changing this but it won't take effect for over a year.
    Plan B - Has anyone had experience shipping an already-owned firearm from themself in State X to themself in Indiana (by Fed Ex or UPS or ???)? What I can find on-line in the U.S. Code seems to say that is OK, but the freight companies have said "No".
    All suggestions welcome.

jsquared1702

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have called the BATF office and what they had told me was you can purchase a long gun as an out of state license holder while living here but it has to be transferred through an FFL in the state of purchase. As for hand guns that has to be sent from an FFL in the purchase state to an FFL in the receiver state to be transferred.:welcome:

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    If your from KY IL OH or MI i believe you can walk out the door with your gun, pistol have to be transferred via FFL

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I went the other direction. I'm an Indiana resident and the WalMart on Preston Hwy in Louisville, KY let me buy a rifle (Weatherby .30-06) and take it out the door. Don't know if it's legal in the other direction.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    You can buy long guns out of state as long as the two states have a common boarder. To buy a handgun out of state it must be shipped to a FFL in your state, you will then pick it up at that dealer.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yes, you can ship a firearm to yourself. Don't let the common carriers tell you no. Research their policies and take a copy of the relevant policy in with you when you try to ship it.

Do you mind telling us what state you're from?

Last edited:

askrocki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Wow! Thank you all for the replies. Answer to question from CountryBoy 19 - I am from northern Nevada. Sounds like the easist way is for me to ship one of my own guns to myself. Thank you all again.

Top Bottom