• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    NJ judge says quadriplegic man can have guns

SOMERVILLE, N.J. — A New Jersey judge says a quadriplegic blocked from buying a gun to go hunting has the right to bear arms even though he will have to use a wheelchair mount to use the firearm.

Manville's police chief had rejected James Cap's application last year, citing safety concerns. The borough attorney says the safety issues could only be resolved by a judge.

A judge ruled Tuesday that the 46-year-old is eligible for a firearms ID, which is required to buy a gun. The judge addressed the safety issues by requiring Cap to have qualified people assist him with weapons.

Cap was an avid hunter as a teenager. He was paralyzed 30 years ago after breaking his neck in a high school football game. He plans to mount the gun on his wheelchair and operate it with a breathing tube.
    I'm very interested to know how it operates.... via breathing tube?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    how is clamping a gun to a wheelchair make it an AOW?

In the same way that making a piece out of a cane - the fabled and so-called "cane-gun" is an AOW... or the same way that "gadget guns" are AOWs....

There's got to be some solenoid or servo or something which pulls the trigger - this guy is obviously incapable of doing it with a finger... hell, breathe quickly enough and this might qualify as almost fully automatic, mightn't it? I mean, if you hyperventilate, what's to keep the servo or whatever from squeezing the trigger at a ridiculous rate-of-fire? And no, I'm not saying this is likely to be adjudicated by BATFE as such, but then again, our Government has deemed it necessary to make illegal three-round bursts, so what of a sustained rate of say, three shots per second (to just toss a random rate out there)? I think this would at least qualify as an AOW.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm very interested to know how it operates.... via breathing tube?

breathing tube is just the method used to activate some kind of servo or actuator.

I know... but... what about when he is just trying to breathe? He'll be shooting with every breath! Or should I assume he is not so crippled he is also on an assisted breathing device?

Definitely want to see pictures.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    he will just blow into it when he wants to shoot.

like this:

shepherd-center-tube.jpg

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I wonder how aiming will take place with no hands?

Good for him. I've got a friend in a wheelchair, who does carry, but he's pretty capable with his hands.

Top Bottom