• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvriley315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Mooresville
    I am usually not directionally challanged, but I can't find the shooting range in Crosley. I can find the park, but I cannot seem to find the range. Can anyone give me some easy to find directions??? Thanks. Mike

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    The easiest way is to turn onto Norris Ave from Hwy 50 and take it all the way until it comes to a T(when you come to the T if you look to the left you will see a Lawn equipment dealer). Take a left and then the first right and follow this road. Follow this road for about 2 miles then on the left you will see an entrance surrounded by 2 short stone colums, turn in there. You will take this road for about a half mile and you will come to a y in the road and you will see a sign for the shooting range. Take the left fork and it will lead you right up to the range. If you plan on going soon let me know and we can maybe meet up and I can show you how to get there, Im if you want to.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    They do not mark the range well. Not on any maps that I know of. Pretty nice range if you can find it and best part it is free. Can get pretty crowded on weekends. Oh, and I have had the CO check for LTCH so be sure to have it with you. Last time I was there I was going to mark the GPS coordinates, but did not do it. I will have to try to remember to do that sometime. Best directions are the ones already given, but you can access the range off of Hwy 3 as well. I think it is the first gravel road south of the "park" entrance. Winds through the woods quite a while and crosses a neat one lane bridge.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    They do not mark the range well. Not on any maps that I know of. Pretty nice range if you can find it and best part it is free. Can get pretty crowded on weekends. Oh, and I have had the CO check for LTCH so be sure to have it with you. Last time I was there I was going to mark the GPS coordinates, but did not do it. I will have to try to remember to do that sometime. Best directions are the ones already given, but you can access the range off of Hwy 3 as well. I think it is the first gravel road south of the "park" entrance. Winds through the woods quite a while and crosses a neat one lane bridge.

You need a "LTCH" or CCW permit to shoot a gun on a public range?

I didn't know that.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    You need a "LTCH" or CCW permit to shoot a gun on a public range?

I didn't know that.

You need the LTCH to shoot on a private range, also, unless the range is on your property. With a few very narrow exceptions, you cannot carry your gun off your property. Training and/or target shooting aren't acceptable exceptions, nor is having your gun unloaded, locked, etc., legally permissable. IOW, unless you are carrying it to your fixed place of business, to a place to sell it or home from buying it, or taking it to a gunsmith for repair (I've paraphrased the list, and it's not all inclusive, look up the Indiana Codes for the verbatim rules), you pretty much need that LTCH to take it off your property.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yes as long as you are with someone that has a permit you are fine. Also you never ever want to leave your property with a handgun, unless you have a hunting license and the weapon and ammo are locked in separate containers. Or you have your carry permit. I would like to check out the range myself, but I have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off (very retarted).

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The easiest way is to turn onto Norris Ave from Hwy 50 and take it all the way until it comes to a T(when you come to the T if you look to the left you will see a Lawn equipment dealer). Take a left and then the first right and follow this road. Follow this road for about 2 miles then on the left you will see an entrance surrounded by 2 short stone colums, turn in there. You will take this road for about a half mile and you will come to a y in the road and you will see a sign for the shooting range. Take the left fork and it will lead you right up to the range. If you plan on going soon let me know and we can maybe meet up and I can show you how to get there, Im if you want to.

Great directions! It is a really nice place to shoot, especially if you can get out during the week when it's not so crowded.

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Starting on Tues the 21st the range is going to be closed for certain days while they begin construction on a 15yd pistol range. There was a number you were supposed to call the day you wanted to go to the range to see if it was closed but I didnt write it down. Im pretty sure the DNR department should know.

husker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The easiest way is to turn onto Norris Ave from Hwy 50 ....
    Thanks for these directions! I first followed these virtually on Google Maps and it looked like a nice area, so I drove down today and had no problem finding the place.

The number posted to check for range closures is 812-346-5596.

mvriley315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Mooresville
    I also wanted to add a thanks for the directions. I was just now able to get over there and your directions were spot on!! I spoke to one of the DNR workers there and he said that if the weather holds up, they should be done in a week or two. Thanks again!!

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    Your welcome. Hopefully what that DNR guy said was true. Unfortunately it is supposed to rain most of this week according to the weather reports. I hope they're wrong this time, I really want to try the new range.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    15 yard range

The DNR guy told me they are putting the 15 yard range immediately to the east of the 30 yard line in what is now the edge of the parking lot. That means they need to build a backstop and put in a berm between the range and the parking lot. As of yesterday (7/28), all they had done was remove the gate, sign, and posts at the west edge of the lot and take out the trees along the east side of the lot. They'll be humping to have it done in another week or two but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I like the place. Particularly when I accomplish my goal of being the first one there in the morning on a weekday.

I do wish shooters wouldn't trash the target area so badly. :dunno: I have gotten to the place where I take cardboard with me. If I don't shoot it up too much I leave it up for others to use. If not, I take it down and put it in the trash.

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    The DNR guy told me they are putting the 15 yard range immediately to the east of the 30 yard line in what is now the edge of the parking lot. That means they need to build a backstop and put in a berm between the range and the parking lot. As of yesterday (7/28), all they had done was remove the gate, sign, and posts at the west edge of the lot and take out the trees along the east side of the lot. They'll be humping to have it done in another week or two but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I like the place. Particularly when I accomplish my goal of being the first one there in the morning on a weekday.

I do wish shooters wouldn't trash the target area so badly. :dunno: I have gotten to the place where I take cardboard with me. If I don't shoot it up too much I leave it up for others to use. If not, I take it down and put it in the trash.

Yeah, I like getting there first thing aswell. I agree with you on the trash. IF someone shoots the cardboard or the boards beyond use they should replace them. I hate showing up and have everything tore up. I was going to replace the boards and cardboard one day so I could actually shoot and I ended up getting stung 6 times by wasps in that little shed.

husker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Anybody happen to know the current status? I know they were still closed as of last weekend. I called around 4 this afternoon to check, but apparently their office closes at 3:30.

Thanks.

Top Bottom