• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    No matter what I am involved in I alway like to hear about tips or tricks. Here are two small items I thought I would pass along. If you have something share it back....

Paper Target holder - I was tired of my paper target taking up space in the and wanted to hang them up and found this to be the easiest to do. This is the pants hanger they thow in your sack and the store that you end up throwing away.
    P1010492.jpg

brass holder - Like a lot of people here I pick up my brass to reload. I have found the using cleaned out Gatorade bottled to be easy to store brass in. I have not tried it but wonder how it would work for reloads since I have bought reloads in a plastice bag before. I have uesd these for screws and nails and like it much better that the cardboard boxes.
    P1010494.jpg

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I have been using the pants hangers to store my targets at home but you could use them at the range I guess. If you roll the targets to store them it is impossible to get them flat again.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I store snap caps in plastic soap holder boxes that I picked up from the travel section at WalMart.
    They're clear, so I can see which caliber they're for without opening them.

I also found that the little boxes of ammo fit pretty well in a school pencil box to go in my range bag
    without the bottom of the boxes coming undone and spilling all over:

SchoolBox001.jpg
    SchoolBox003.jpg
    SchoolBox004.jpg

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Use a cad program and printer to make you own targets. I use 3X5 and 4X6 file cards, yellow if I can find them, cuts glare, Grid them off in 1" squares, dash lines fine. Use a 1" square as the bull rotated 45 degrees. Use a .250 line to form the border, leave the center open, makes for percision aiming with a scope............:@ya:...............<>< Duce

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Use a cad program and printer to make you own targets. I use 3X5 and 4X6 file cards, yellow if I can find them, cuts glare, Grid them off in 1" squares, dash lines fine. Use a 1" square as the bull rotated 45 degrees. Use a .250 line to form the border, leave the center open, makes for percision aiming with a scope............:@ya:...............<>< Duce

Here's another option.

PRINTABLE TARGETS

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've gone to the website of whatever paper targets I've purchased and cut and pasted the clip art picture of the target to a word document. you can get 4 to 5 pics pasted to a 8.5 x 11 printout to use for your shooting journal. That way you can mark each shot on the small paper as you make them and number the shots (holes) on the actual target more accurately later. It also makes it possible to keep the same target up longer (shoot more holes in it) before having to replace it because the huge number of holes in it will still make sense.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If there is a seize fire at 50 to 100 yd ranges before I am done with a target I carry my cell phone to the target stand to take a picture of the shots I have made. When I get back to the bench I can refer to it and more easily ID the new shots, and I get a decent chronological series of pics for the journal. This trick is real handy when you have more than one target points on one piece of paper and you have to figure out what group an occasional stray shot belongs to.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I use my camera a lot and keep the digital pics of targets ID with rifle, ammo and any thing else relevant rather than keeping targets around to refer to when buying amo for a specific gun.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Buy your woman flowers at least once a year out of the blue.
    Pick them yourself for that personal touch.
    Just make sure you don't pick her prize flowers.
    Also it doesn't count if within 1 week of an argument, special date or holiday.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Great tips, I love the pants hanger idea.

Charcoal briquets make great (biodegratable) exploding rifle targets that don't need to be cleaned up afterwards.

You can make a quick and easy stand for them using a saw horse design with the 2x4 across the top laid flat with a line hollowed down the center so the briquets can stand up.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    As part of a preliminary search of your friends and families property:D for a place to shoot, use google earth. It has a ruler feature so you can measure the distances from known embankments (target positions) and shooting positions. You can then zoom out and make sure it is safe "down range" should you send one over the berm (looking for housing roads and such.) The elevation is somewhat accurate as you roll the mouse over areas so you can identify natural embankments. You can save a ton of time walking around in the woods looking for spots by ruling out some and narrowing down options. And yes, 20 pages of safety recommendations are needed for this to be close to a complete guide on selecting a range location. My point is that for those of us that live in the suburbs it is fun to look at our friends and families property and dream of talking them into making a private range to go to.:ar15:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I used the quart screw-top plastic jars that cashews came in to store and carry my reloads. One jar was more than enough for a USPSA match.
    Cottage cheese and oleo tubs are nice for handling brass and bullets during loading.

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Here is a couple, I just needed a picture of one.
    Photo_070509_006.jpg

You can make a really good bore inspection light out of the end of a resin light curing unit. Ask your dentist to save any tips to their curing light when they break or quit (they will). It is a pretty high end glass light bender for lack of more technical terminology. most small flashlights (you already have) fit in the back and you have great control over how much light you want to flood the chamber with and at what angle to direct it in. In the pic I don't have the flash light all the way in the enclosure to see the components better.
    While you are talking to your dentist have him save the lead from the radiographs (xrays) if you are casting bullets. He/she would love to get rid of it.

Top Bottom