Private sales and registering, have the laws changed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gearhead101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I was having a "discussion" with my buddy on Friday evening and the laws around private sales and registering came up. To my knowledge, private sales in Indiana are legal without having a FFL do the transfer so long as the buyer is able to own a gun in accordance with state law, and the seller has no reason to suspect otherwise. BOS's are used to help protect the seller in that aspect I believe.

Also, I've never known of Indiana requiring gun registration. Since all my gun purchases have been private sales, and unless the sellers have reported the BOS's for whatever weird reason to the state, the state has no records with my name and guns associated. And if a private sale occurs, I don't need to notify the state of said purchase and register my new gun.

My buddy claims all that false. That private sales have to be "supervised" or carried out by a FFL and I HAVE to register my guns due to federal, not state, law.

Now I am not a lawyer, and very far from it, but I did extensive research when making my first purchase some months ago and thought my train if thought to be correct. If someone can elaborate, correct or confirm anything I'd greatly appreciate it.

iSaladbar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Far as I know you don't have to register anything that you purchase. But I don't know if you have to register the weapon you carry in case something does happen. I didn't know so I bought the gun I carry from a dealer just in case. :dunno:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    1. There is no gun registration in Indiana so there is no way to do what he is saying.
    2. There is no requirement to use the nonexistent registry, which, BTW, does not exist and so cannot be used.
    3. If using an FFL makes you happy, use one.
    4. If using a BOS makes you happy, use one.

But as to the statement your buddy was saying. He is simply wrong.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yes Gearhead, you are completely right, and your buddy is completely WRONG!
    Ask him where he got his information, and how many firearms he has purchased in this state. I'd be curious to hear his answer.

It's funny how adamant people are when they are so sure of something that they are so wrong about!

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Like the others have said, your buddy is 100% fail on this one. Hold your head up high and say "I told ya so" every chance you get for a week. Who knows, maybe it will sink in that way.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    1. There is no gun registration in Indiana

It can't be said enough...

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Find a new buddy.

I do not carry any guns for self protection that have not been bought new thru a dealer and still remains as it was intended from the factory...strictly to reduce a potential problem in the event the gun would have to be used.

Can you imaging a private sale gun that ended up being used to protect yourself (even though you were completely justified) and then the gun ends up reported stolen 20 years ago.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Find a new buddy.

I do not carry any guns for self protection that have not been bought new thru a dealer and still remains as it was intended from the factory...strictly to reduce a potential problem in the event the gun would have to be used.

Can you imaging a private sale gun that ended up being used to protect yourself (even though you were completely justified) and then the gun ends up reported stolen 20 years ago.

Unless you are the thief who stole the gun, or you knowingly bought a stolen gun (and they prove it), you haven't done anything illegal. So, no problem!

Also, you can buy stolen guns from honest dealers. FFL's don't run numbers on the guns they buy and take in on trade.

Top Bottom