• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdbran01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Has anyone been to knob creek machine gun shoot? Would that be a good venue to do trading/buying from individuals?

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Has anyone been to knob creek machine gun shoot? Would that be a good venue to do trading/buying from individuals?
    **EDITED**

NO, unless you have an FFL/C&R license. Knob Creek gun range is in Kentucky. See the except from the US Code below, with my emphasis.

18 USC Sec 922
    (a) It shall be unlawful—
    (1) for any person— (A) except a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer, to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in firearms, or in the course of such business to ship, transport, or receive any firearm in INTERSTATE or foreign commerce;

Kentucky law actually defers to Federal Law in this matter. (KRS 237.020)

Residents of states other than the Commonwealth of Kentucky who are citizens of the United States shall have the right to purchase or otherwise acquire rifles, shotguns, handguns, and any other firearms which they are permitted to purchase or otherwise acquire under federal law and the Kentucky Revised Statutes from properly licensed dealers, manufacturers, importers, or collectors, and from unlicensed individual persons in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

DISCLAIMER: IANAL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIELN

Last edited:

Whitey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Connersville
    Knob Creek, if you go, visit a couple of bourbon disillery's while you are in the area. Very interesting how it is made. I dont drink but the history behind all of it is great.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Knob Creek is excellent and a great time for things to see and do. Many dealers and sellers with things other than 4473 items for sale. In the past there have been Indiana FFL's that can facilitate the transfer legally :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Knob Creek is a blast, literally as well as figuratively. Transfers aren't a problem, there are plenty of dealers there who would be happy to do it, for a small fee of course. If its legal, you can find it there.
    And yes, the alphabet boys (and girls) are there in numbers.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Knob Creek is worth ten times the drive and the price.
    It is the greatest fun a grown man can have without being in prison.
    Also, most manufacturers will have someone in-State to transfer most items.

Had a State trooper pull me over on a fishing expedition. Two different times, actually, same guy.
    "Buy any pistols?"
    "No, sir - couldn't afford 'em. But the trunk is full to the brim with ammo."
    Other than being a fisherman, seemed like a nice guy. Wish I caught his name.
    Who knows, just might get pulled over by him again. Worth the trip every time.
    INDY1500 is nothing compared to Knob Creek.
    "If God made anything better, He kept it for Himself." - R. Lee Ermey

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Sdbran01 (et alia),

If you are interested in the older stuff the FFL03 for $10 / year is a great way to avoid issues.

You are completely legal bringing firearms home across state lines per Federal Law. However, you must take a direct route home. Example, leaving Knob Creek if you live in Indianapolis doesn't mean you get to detour south to Tennessee to visit relatives.

Take hearing protection and be ready. I am not reckless but neither am I a safety queen. That said, I was standing about 25 yards from the range talking with some folks when the range just lit up! I was a bit PO'ed as my ears rang for an hour after. There was NO warning when there should be some.

Take hiking boots. It is dirt, and it rains. 'Nuff said.

Take cash before you get there. I don't recall easy access to ATMs.

It is a blast and very, very fun to see the night fire blowing :poop: up.

Have fun!

Regards,

Doug

PS - If you are really looking for a lot of guns, or just LOVE looking at guns then Tulsa in November is where you want to be!

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I've bought more than one rifle and shotgun from Whittakers
    west of Owensboro. Why can't I buy the same from a dealer at Knob Creek?

I had been under the impression that you could buy long guns legally without a transfer from surrounding states, but I couldn't find any mention of that in the KRS. I know Indiana USED to have a law allowing certain states' residents to purchase long guns, but that provision was repealed in 2011. I only provided information that I could substantiate with statute, and would be happy to be wrong if someone can find the relevant KRS.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

See
    18 USC 926 - Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms. As long as you are legal on both ends you are allowed to bring the firearm home, given certain limits (ie. it is unloaded, not easily accessible, etc.)

So, if you legally buy a firearm anywhere in the US and are bringing it home then it is 100% legal for you to transport it. However, it is my understanding that if push comes to shove you may have to prove you were taking it directly home without any side trips. For further clarification you'll need a lawyer.

Because I travel through Illinois with firearms purchased at Tulsa I carry a copy of the law to show to any Uncle Leo's I may run into. That way if I am illegally detained they cannot claim ignorance as a defense.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Doug

huey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    SW IND
    Ill 2nd that

Knob Creek is worth ten times the drive and the price.
    It is the greatest fun a grown man can have without being in prison.
    Also, most manufacturers will have someone in-State to transfer most items.

Had a State trooper pull me over on a fishing expedition. Two different times, actually, same guy.
    "Buy any pistols?"
    "No, sir - couldn't afford 'em. But the trunk is full to the brim with ammo."
    Other than being a fisherman, seemed like a nice guy. Wish I caught his name.
    Who knows, just might get pulled over by him again. Worth the trip every time.
    INDY1500 is nothing compared to Knob Creek.
    "If God made anything better, He kept it for Himself." - R. Lee Ermey

it's a great time I go on friday best supply we buy it up on friday before the saturday people
    ammo prices are a hole lot cheaper the the WTS ads here:ar15:

huey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    SW IND
    I have 2 seats avalable on friday leave around 4-4:30 from evansville
    we well be there most of day email me
    P.S. I smoke

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Never been to Knob Creek, but I'm thinking of taking my son, and his friend. Other than taking some cash & ear protection... any other tips??:yesway:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Never been to Knob Creek, but I'm thinking of taking my son, and his friend. Other than taking some cash & ear protection... any other tips??:yesway:

Depending on weather, Boots, comfortable ones because you'll walk your butt off . 4x4 is helpful at times.
    If you think you have enough cash bring 2x's more.
    You will find everything you're looking for and a few things you didn't know you needed.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Depending on weather, Boots, comfortable ones because you'll walk your butt off . 4x4 is helpful at times.
    If you think you have enough cash bring 2x's more.
    You will find everything you're looking for and a few things you didn't know you needed.

Add food and water/pop to your list. There is a food vendor there but it can get pricey quick. Nearest food place outside is back on Dixie Highway

Top Bottom