• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Yesterday was a beautiful day in south central Indiana. It was made more pleasant by the opportunity to shoot with two good friends, a father and son team from Indianapolis!

They were both playing 'bachelor' for a few days and wanted to try out some of their family military rifles as well as some modern day firearms.

VUPDblue and his dad, Kim, started off shooting a beautiful M1 Garand. It packed a substantial thump, but was a joy to shoot. We all agreed that General Patton was on to something when he dubbed the Garand the "greatest implement of battle ever devised."

2q0sg7q.jpg

VUPDblue recently reworked a Japanese Arisaka rifle that had been in his family for years and wanted to see if and how it shot. He was able to find some 7.7 x 55 mm ammunition for the rifle. One test round and we all knew that this rifle shot very well! It had a mild recoil for a battle rifle and reasonable accuracy.

2djp9px.jpg

For awhile we stepped down the dam and did some shooting along the length of the pond (211 yards).

VUPDblue is a very good shot. Here, he took the Arisaka, off-hand, iron sights:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAK43UuoTDs[/ame]

Kim even tried shooting his 9mm 1911 style pistol.

28whxuf.jpg

This got VUPDblue's attention so he pulled out his S&W revolver in .45ACP. We were all amazed by what he was able to do with that sidearm! (Notice the time delay between the shot and the ring of the steel. The .45 round is really a slow poke compared to the rifle rounds and it shows in the time delay.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwxY8gP4yD8[/ame]

The rifles were tried from the prone position on the dam. After a few sighting in rounds, the guys were hitting a 67% IPSC steel target made by Bobcat Steel.

9lkjk4.jpg

A fine example of the modern battle rifle came out of its case and regularly hit steel! This is an LMT AR-15 with red dot sight.

amxxs1.jpg

The AK47 made its presence known with its signature rattle-klank sound. Nothing else like it!

2e516w1.jpg

Here's a quick glamour shot of the two 1911s that graced our day.

8vyjc8.jpg

We transitioned to the pistol range and the father and so duo tried out the dueling tree. They split honors, each winning a round. Here is an example.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SfSaHafT9Q[/ame]

Of course, I like to eat and I like to cook. I think a nice summer meal is a great way to cap off an afternoon of shooting. We had some smoked ribs (with and without sauce), corn on the cob, hot bread, and salad.

ixwjyq.jpg

But wait, we weren't done! There was one more chore for the Garand....some landscaping! :D (Link coming in the future.)

Added:
    After dinner, we went down by the pond and dropped a tree!
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...sion/226250-finally_got_the_tree_to_fall.html

Last edited:

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    great day! shooting that Arisaka for the first time was the highlight of my year. hitting the steel target 211 yards away...with a .45acp.....revolver... was a close second.:D

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    great day! shooting that Arisaka for the first time was the highlight of my year. hitting the steel target 211 yards away...with a .45acp.....revolver... was a close second.:D

211 yards with a .45 revolver is awesome. It may be a slow round, but it still had some punch when it hit that target. Lol

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Looks like a great time was had by all!

My daughter wants to learn to shoot, I have it on good authority a certain person who "loves his woods" also loves teaching new shooters..
    (not so subtle hint)

:D

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    That is sounds like a phenomenal day. Congrats to all on having it. 211 yards with a .45 is awesome, great shooting.

There really is something to those old Garands too, isn't there?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I still can't get over the delay between the .45 firing, and the PING. I have played that vid about 10 times in a row.. :wow:

Last edited by a moderator:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    looks like you guys had fun. Nice play you have there LMW it would be real fun to get out and play together sometime.

congrats on that long shot with the .45....better than i can do.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

How large of a target was that and how high did you aim? That was an amazing shot. It was different watching you shoot without a suppressor though :):

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have to say, some of the best days of my entire life have been at the range with the family. I loved when i was a kid, going out to eat breakfast, then to the range, bringing the packed lunch so we could eat and shoot at the time (yea right, my poor parents, trying to get all 5 boys to eat, so they could shoot again?????). Then, in the afternoon, wrap up, head home, clean weapons, clean ya self, then eat dinner. End of the day, just relaxing watching some tv. I am glad that I am seeing that I am not the only one that thinks the day on the range is just the best way to spend the day

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If I recall correctly, it was the same size as we were shooting at in the bays yesterday.

I need to try shooting 50y with a pistol and move back my target stands at Atterbury. Watching him plink steel at 211y is such a motivator towards improving my skills.

Oh, and to buy some bobcat steel and get a MCF&G membership as well :rockwoot:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    How large of a target was that and how high did you aim? That was an amazing shot. It was different watching you shoot without a suppressor though :):

I can answer part of your question.

VUPDBlue hit a 66% Bobcat Steel IPSC target at 211 yards several times, not just by accident. The target is 12" wide and 16" tall. That is 5.4 MOA wide and 7.2 MOA tall.

To put that in context: If you were shooting at 30 feet, a target of equal MOA would be 0.6" wide by 0.75" tall!

One time, he hit the 45% IPSC target with the same revolver. That target is 8" x 11" or 3.6 x 5 MOA!

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I can answer part of your question.

VUPDBlue hit a 66% Bobcat Steel IPSC target at 211 yards several times, not just by accident. The target is 12" wide and 16" tall. That is 5.4 MOA wide and 7.2 MOA tall.

One time, he hit the 45% IPSC target with the same revolver. That target is 8" x 11" or 3.6 x 5 MOA!

Gosh, you guys never use plain language that we normals can understand. It's like you're a doctor or something...

I got the 12x16" part OK. I'll look up the rest. The more people I meet on this forum the more this hobby is going to cost me long term. Then there's the facial spasms from smiling too much.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Gosh, you guys never use plain language that we normals can understand. It's like you're a doctor or something...

I got the 12x16" part OK. I'll look up the rest. The more people I meet on this forum the more this hobby is going to cost me long term. Then there's the facial spasms from smiling too much.

:):
    I added a conversion to US money to help out!

Top Bottom