• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm semi-retired now and plan to be fully retired in a couple weeks. I decided to build my own guns and ammo database. I looked at a couple commercial programs and found some apps that didn't loo too bad, but I wanted to add some features of my owm.

I built the database in Access and run it on a Windows based laptop. Here's a screenshot of the data entry form for entering new weapons:
    screenshot.jpg

I have drop sown selections for Class, Manufacturer and Caliber and I also added embedded controls to store photos of each weapon. I'm going to write some sub-queries to show ammo available from my inventory here at home and also have reloading components stored in the same database. I want to have the program notify me when I reach certain levels of ammo.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else has fooled around with something like this and see if anyone had any suggestions for additional features.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just thought I'd see if anyone else has fooled around with something like this and see if anyone had any suggestions for additional features.

Unfortunately, I have little experience with Access or database designs. But, I do know if you can setup fields for acquisition and disposition information and then have the ability to print that data - you'd fill a niche that a lot of C&R collectors have.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Looks pretty good! I've been writing my own the last few years. I go back and forth between database engines (currently is uses SQL Server) and which fields to store.

I'll keep you in mind for a beta tester in the future when I get it more refined.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I always made free hand word docs and backed them up for inventory. Now, I'll be making a database. I never even thought about using access or a database at all for this. Great idea

Smoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Laporte
    I have something in excel. Not as nice but it works. Took photos of identifying marks and serial numbers also. Each item has it's own worksheet and then a master list that has a hyperlink to click on and take you to that worksheet.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You might use some of those queries to create reports for summarizing your possessions so that you can print them out for disaster recovery. (in case your computer crashes, gets stolen, etc.)

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I'm semi-retired now and plan to be fully retired in a couple weeks. I decided to build my own guns and ammo database. I looked at a couple commercial programs and found some apps that didn't loo too bad, but I wanted to add some features of my owm.

I built the database in Access and run it on a Windows based laptop. Here's a screenshot of the data entry form for entering new weapons:
    screenshot.jpg

I have drop sown selections for Class, Manufacturer and Caliber and I also added embedded controls to store photos of each weapon. I'm going to write some sub-queries to show ammo available from my inventory here at home and also have reloading components stored in the same database. I want to have the program notify me when I reach certain levels of ammo.

I would think about adding a field for round count. Perhaps a way to track accuracy information, graphing this later may help in determining when the barrel is shot out.

Great start btw!!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've toyed with doing something like this for a couple of years. I am a software developer by trade and enjoy doing stuff like this when I can find the time, but time is not always easy to come by. I can't wait until retirement comes.

Among the features I've thought would be nice would be a way to link firearms to range trips to maintain a round count. That along with a way to store photos of targets from the range trips could make for a bit of fun analysis later. But, all of that is just vapor until some time comes my way.

Nice work on the app so far. I envy you the time you have to develop this.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I've been using "point blank" and sometimes "Robs Reloading". But I can see that you've got some stuff that I've never seen in the others. Looks pretty nice though.

Are you planning to have a "load data base" or maybe I missed it.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Not sure this is the same thing... but I use --> RangeLog

to log all of my stuffs. The cool thing is that it has an Android app that I can use to log range time.

Very comprehensive and at $4.99 for the App and online access... IMHO its a steal

Last edited:

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You might use some of those queries to create reports for summarizing your possessions so that you can print them out for disaster recovery. (in case your computer crashes, gets stolen, etc.)

I've been working on the reporting secton as well as the round count function for each weapon. Here's a screen print of the current report that I could print out for insurance purposes or for (God forbid) a police report if anything was stolen:
    invreport.jpg

I appreciate all the feedback so far. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Very cool - looks very user friendly - what does the value calculating? - the inventory listing is a nice option - would it be directly linked to law enforcement or insurance providers? :yesway::yesway:

Top Bottom