Range Report: Practicing Pistol Manipulations (pics/vids)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Having a last-minute opportunity to get some range time in yesterday, I made the trip down to lovemywoods' range in the late afternoon to work on some pistol skillsets. This time, however, lovemywoods didn't join me, as he was out-of-town with 2 other INGOers working on another project (details on that are coming soon).

As I always recommend to others, I first outlined the purpose(s) of the trip.

• Verify POI for new night sight installation on M&P9
    • Test new Howard Leight Impact Sport earpro
    • Practice shooting from various positions of retention
    • Practice shooting from around a barricade
    As an added bonus, my photographer Mother geared up and came out with me to photograph and film my range time. This helps me by giving me another perspective to critique myself from, and it helps her by giving her more "shutter time" and experience. And I get to share my time with INGOers. :ingo: (note: in the videos you'll hear an odd clicking overtone-- its just the image stabilizer on the camera that we forgot to turn off. Please ignore it.)

I (somewhat) recently had new night sights installed in my carry M&P9 ( https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rms_why_i_jumped_off_the_glock_bandwagon.html ). I picked Ameriglo Hack Sights with a Trijicon HD front sight and blackened serrated rear. I hadn't yet had the chance to confirm their POI from a bench, so I started with that first.

The procedure here was pretty straight forward-- set a paper plate at 15ft., shoot POA from the bench in a rest, thereby trying to eliminate as much "shooter error" as possible.

2ed1fdu.jpg

n6z0r8.jpg

The result was 3 different paper plates that all looked identical. Each one had a ragged hole just to the left of center. I didn't have the proper tools with me at the time, but it looks like I'll need to drift my front sight just slightly.

Here is an example with a called flyer.

v7b9g4.jpg

This was my first range session using some new electronic earpro that I bought to test-- the popular Impact Sports from Howard Leight.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rd_leight_impact_sport_electronic_earpro.html

flbvrp.jpg

As I reported initially, I'm still very underwhelmed with their performance. The biggest issue I've encountered is that they just don't fit well. The headband is WAY too big, and it can't be adjusted to put the earcups in the proper place (even when wearing a hat). The square-ish cups also don't seal well around my ears. The sound quality and attenuation is mediocre at best. At least they were <$50.

After confirming POI it was time to break out the blue gun.

33ww421.jpg

Wait, a blue gun? On a live-fire range? WTH was I thinking?!?

It was one of two things. Either I:

• wanted to be "like a surgeon" like my man Que :D
    • or I wanted to run some manipulations "dry" before going live-fire
    After taking a few Mindset Laboratory courses this year that focus on close-quarters pistol work, I wanted to get out and continue working on some of those skillsets.

I started with shooting from various positions of retention. My procedure involved going through the motions with the blue gun first. Then I would go live, but smooth and slow, paying careful attention to technique. As I got more comfortable I would then start putting everything together in a fight/draw/fire/assess/scan/reholster sequence. I've also been trying out the merits of a "high ready" position, as opposed to SUL that I'm used to.

Starting with the blue gun
    4fwpiu.jpg

Working through the technique live-fire
    mrqo9g.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUQ44VMMjUM[/ame]

Putting it all together

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeWjCzc49r4[/ame]

(don't make fun of my crappy Fobus holster. My Raven hasn't arrived yet :D)

I also worked on shots in a progression from retention to full extension.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6VsmXRZZuo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFyS6kl8AOo[/ame]

Next I decided to work on shooting around barricades-- vehicles specifically. Since I can't drive onto the range I just used an ATV. The goal here was to simply get myself around the ATV in as many ways as possible, to see what worked and what didn't. Some positions offered better sight pictures, while others offered better concealment. Some were flexible in allowing me to duck back-and-forth behind cover, and some were easier to get into and out of.

As before, I started off with the blue gun.

33zcu52.jpg

b80cpz.jpg

5b5k3q.jpg

Then it was time to go live.

20kt5xe.jpg

adknc5.jpg

vne8n6.jpg

20rslkh.jpg

2rqhqog.jpg

2h2dv2e.jpg

w0nsrp.jpg

2gtcbbl.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX5xqkzWxb8[/ame]

For 250 rounds and 2 hours I thought it was a very productive session. Here are some shareable lessons:

• Learning things in class is great, but they don't do any good if you don't get out and put them into regular practice. I need to be more regular about this.
    • Pulling the trigger while the gun is under your nose is an ENTIRELY different experience than when its at arms length. I suggest trying it PRIOR to a real fight. Please seek professional instruction first.
    • High ready does have some merit, and I will continue to work with it as it fits my needs.
    • Pictures and videos are great ways to slow things down and really critique yourself on the range. They also provide some amount of light performance stress.
    • Half of what I did in this session could've been done in my house with a blue gun. Get a $40 blue gun.
    To wrap up, I would like to thank my Mother for her time and skills in helping me on the range. I thoroughly enjoyed our time together.

:ingo:

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Nice pics and video as always. I like the position of your left arm on the draw. If a person had a light in their left hand it would be very easy to illuminate a potential threat, make a strike if somebody was on top of you or cover your head. Your reloads look nice and smooth. So when are you going to teach me some of those ninja like skills. ;)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So when are you going to teach me some of those ninja like skills. ;)

Come on up sometime. The biggest benefit to the private range is that your imagination is your only limit. No silly range rules like "no rapid fire" or "no drawing from concealment" or "no rifle calibers".

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Great post. thanks.
    I must disagree on the Howard Leights...They work great for me and my son in law. Our heads are bigger than yours and have no problems with the headband being too big. We've used them many times, and forget we have them on. My 2 cents. Thanks for the post and your mom's camera work!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    have no problems with the headband being too big.

Eventually I'm going to do a comparison of 3 popular electronic muffs under $100. Contenders include the HL Impact Sports, Radians ProAmps, and Peltor Sport-Tacs.

In comparing just the HLs to the Radians yesterday, the headband on the HLs was noticeably MUCH larger around than the Radians. It seems, comparitively, that the HLs are just on the larger end of the spectrum.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Come on up sometime. The biggest benefit to the private range is that your imagination is your only limit. No silly range rules like "no rapid fire" or "no drawing from concealment" or "no rifle calibers".

That's why I've been so obsessed with getting a range built at my new house. My wife doesn't get it, though. She's all interested in unimportant things like remodeling the kitchen and getting the plumbing and HVAC systems working properly. :laugh:

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

I actually have a private range. But the problem is it is basically a swamp right. At crossley right now to sight in a 22. The people here right now are interesting. Might do an AAR if I survive.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood

This is exactly why I do not go to Atterbury much anymore. Can only fire one way.... Well here is a news flash: Attackers and SHTF scenarios do not come at you from one direction. Be nice to have a few more "private" ranges pop up for people to practice these realistic-to-life scenarios.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have family with property but they are, well, I will not go there. One thing I miss about the Military. Actually being able to fire in a practical manner.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    This is exactly why I do not go to Atterbury much anymore. Can only fire one way.... Well here is a news flash: Attackers and SHTF scenarios do not come at you from one direction. Be nice to have a few more "private" ranges pop up for people to practice these realistic-to-life scenarios.

I get where you are coming from. However, if they let people shoot however they wished. It would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Most people can hardly hit a target from 7 yards away. Let alone draw and fire in a safe manner. Hell, when I was at Crosley yesterday. It sounded like everyone was more worried about playing Rambo then working on accuracy.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Nice shooting and looked like some quality practice!

I try and practice when at a friends range, but have yet to take any classes.
    May I ask why the hand behind the head and why two hands to pull up the sweater on the draw?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Looks like a lot of fun and great practice.

One comment for mobility sake though, have you thought about keeping your lateral knee bent and the other knee extended? This would give you something to push with if needbe, and the straight leg will decrease the energy needed to roll over. I'm speaking regarding the last atv video, as it seems to be the only one my droid wants to load.

Anyways, it might give a better sight picture and you could keep a lot of your body hidden behind cover (say a tire) as you would be laying back and away rather than straight to the side. You would be laying on your back moreso than on your side.

Just wondering :-)

Top Bottom